Do people have both a normal bank account and a student account?

Watch
CCUupcake123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am just about to open a student bank account and it was asking me whether I want to switch to Santander does this mean that my hsbc (normal account) would no longer be my account

Basically should I close my hsbc bank account and just have a student one (transfer banks) what do student usually do?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CCUupcake123)
I am just about to open a student bank account and it was asking me whether I want to switch to Santander does this mean that my hsbc (normal account) would no longer be my account

Basically should I close my hsbc bank account and just have a student one (transfer banks) what do student usually do?
it's up to you, would it be easier for you to budget if you can have two accounts?
abbiesuzanne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I opened a 123 student account with Santander because of the interest-free overdraft and the 16-25 railcard which lasts 4 years! Most of my friends switched to a student account too. It's up to you though Whatever suits you best
Mayomikun123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have one to transfer my savings into and then I opened a student account with Santander for student loan and stuff. If you think you will be able to budget with one account then transferring to a student one should be fine. x
CCUupcake123
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
it's up to you, would it be easier for you to budget if you can have two accounts?
Thank you for your reply! I think I might be easier for me to budget in one
hamza_f
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by abbiesuzanne)
I opened a 123 student account with Santander because of the interest-free overdraft and the 16-25 railcard which lasts 4 years! Most of my friends switched to a student account too. It's up to you though Whatever suits you best
Oh wow 4 yrs? How much is the rail card when you join Santander?
CCUupcake123
Rep:
?
(Original post by abbiesuzanne)
Thank you for your reply! I think I might just use my normal bank account for budgeting and have my student account for the rest
CCUupcake123
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamza_f)
I’m pretty sure it’s free, correct me if I’m wrong tho
CCUupcake123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayomikun123)
I have one to transfer my savings into and then I opened a student account with Santander for student loan and stuff. If you think you will be able to budget with one account then transferring to a student one should be fine. x
Thank you reply! I think I might do the same as you cos I feel like it’ll be easier
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

Hey, there.

When I opened my student bank account with Santander, I decided to keep my other current account (HSBC) because I felt it would be easier to manage finances that way but it's completely up to you as claireestelle rightly said.
hamza_f
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m pretty sure it’s free, correct me if I’m wrong tho
Oh for real? So all I'd have to do is make a student account with Santander and I can save £30 per year on buying a rail card?
ONatusch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
When I opened my student account, I began a new account with Nationwide and kept my savings account as well as my original current account. I very rarely use my old current account, but its useful for some stuff now and again. It really is just personal preference.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I just had my normal bank account become my student account. When I was no longer a student, it went back to being my regular non-student account without the student account perks.
abbiesuzanne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Can confirm it's completely free
CCUupcake123
Rep:
?
Oh for real? So all I'd have to do is make a student account with Santander and I can save £30 per year on buying a rail card?
Yep pretty much and it’ll last 4 years, that’s why I’m gonna do it cos that’s pretty good deal!
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I've always had two - My current account and my student account, it's made it a lot easier to save money that way.
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I stayed with the same bank as I was with before, so they changed my normal current account into a student current account. I kept my normal savings account, and use that to help budget.

The advantage of having both accounts at the same bank is that I can transfer money between them instantly on the app, whereas there's sometimes a short delay when transferring money to friends/family at different banks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads