The Student Room Group

Moving 5+ hours away for uni

I have found a university that I feel will be amazing for me (I would start in 2021 as just finished year 12, and looking for advice now as my college needs our applications by Oct/Nov for checks). The only thing is that it's a 5.5 hour drive from me, and about the same distance by train. I guess I have a bit of separation anxiety since I've lived in a pretty remote part of the country for 15 years of my life! Does anyone have any advice around getting over the fear of moving far away? Anyone have any experience in doing it themselves? Thanks
Hello!

I’m in the exact same situation. I’m going into year 13 and found a uni 5 hours away.

I’m just telling myself that it’s something I have to do. I’ve never been homesick really so I think it will be okay. Just think of all the good things that will happen if you do choose to go.

You can still travel home during holidays, your family are only a phone call away and you get to have this amazing new experience of living alone.

You still have a whole year. Start researching the uni more in depth, look at things you’ll need and focus on the good parts. You’ll be fine!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have found a university that I feel will be amazing for me (I would start in 2021 as just finished year 12, and looking for advice now as my college needs our applications by Oct/Nov for checks). The only thing is that it's a 5.5 hour drive from me, and about the same distance by train. I guess I have a bit of separation anxiety since I've lived in a pretty remote part of the country for 15 years of my life! Does anyone have any advice around getting over the fear of moving far away? Anyone have any experience in doing it themselves? Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm a student at Lancaster University and I live near London, so it's about the same distance for me. My housemate is an international student and is more than 9 hours away from her home!

I would firstly say that if you feel that the university is the place for you, then the distance really won't feel like anything once you get there. It would be worth looking at the transport links (how often trains run, how much would a spontaneous ticket cost) in the instance that you need to get home for an emergency, or need to go home for any reason.

Normally, because you'll be so busy settling into a new place, meeting new people and trying new things, it will be something that you won't have time to think about! However, homesickness is obviously very common for students and can be quite difficult at times. I'd say it's really important to keep in touch with your loved ones, and arrange some trips early on for later in the term/year, so that even if you're having a tricky time, you'll know that you have a visit just around the corner.

You can read one of our international ambassador's blogs about homesickness here, and how she coped. Taking lots of pictures and things from home will also help you to settle in a bit more.

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Hi,

It's great you've found somewhere you are interested in studying! As someone who also move a 5+ hours away from home to study a degree (Nottinghamshire-Devon) I found it very exciting and I think it can become a great way to discover and reinvent yourself! It can be tough at times but I find it makes going home will be even more special when you do!

Chances are you will be too busy to even worry about homesickness in the first couple of months! with freshers, meeting new people! (everyones in the same boat! thats one thing to remember if you ever feel nervous about meeting new folk!) and of course starting your studies all together! and by that time you'd have already made some great friends to keep you company! If your chosen University offers a counselling service too they are great to utilise if you are feeling under the weather because of this and there are plenty of people who have felt the same who may be able to help you online or in your friendship group at uni!
Thankfully too we live in an age where keeping in touch is so easy with video calls and messaging! So friends and Family can be a phone tap away!

From personal experience my family make it event to move me back to university and by those points you will no doubt know all the best spots in town to show them!

Hope this helps! if you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch!

Nath,
Third Year Student Ambassador
Hey, I go to a uni about 5 and a half hours away from me too.
I won't lie, it is sometimes hard not being able to just hop on a train home for the weekend when all my other friends are able to, but other than that I hardly notice the distance
I'm a very anxious person and used to get homesick just going to friends' houses, but I was so busy the first few weeks I didn't have time to miss home, and if I did, with social media these days it's so easy to FaceTime and feel like you're home with your family!
Good luck, I'm sure it'll all be OK :smile: Don't let the distance stop you from going to the uni you want!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending