The Student Room Group

Would you rather study Medicine at a low tier med school or biomedical at oxbridge

Imagining you only got into a very low tier medical school such as uclan or hull n but but got rejected from med at oxbridge and they only offered you a place on biomedical engineering. Would you rather study the course you want or the university you want if the difference is a tier 1 uni and low tier. Imagining you are going to do grad med after finishing at oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hazadd
Imagining you only got into a very low tier medical school such as uclan or hull n but but got rejected from med at oxbridge and they only offered you a place on biomedical engineering. Would you rather study the course you want or the university you want if the difference is a tier 1 uni and low tier. Imagining you are going to do grad med after finishing at oxbridge

Only an idiot prospective medical student would give up on medicine and choose a completely unrelated degree instead: "hurr durr league tables run my life".
The obvious answer is doing the course you want
Original post by Hazadd

Is this all in your imagination? If so I would decline both and go to Hogwarts with a year abroad at Monster University.

I have noted that medics are treated like gods on TSR and held in deep reverence with reps and compliments abounding just for existing. Its the biggest cult on TSR imo. Whilst the rest of us are in danger Medics know they will 100% get a job, fast car and women/ men (non infected) throwing themselves at their feet in the hope of mating or basking in reflected glory. My opinion is dont get too big for your boots as a Hogwarts student could easily solve the problems of the NHS. Doctors smoctors.

All schools are not equal. Come to Hogwarts and feel the reputation in secret.

Case study
"He hurried over to Ron, bent down, tapped Ron's leg with his wand and muttered 'Ferula'. Bandages spun up Ron's leg, strapping it tightly to a splint."

Known Healing spells

Anapneo spell to clear the throat of a choking victim.[3]
Bandaging Charm bandages and splints fractures.[4]
Brackium Emendo heals broken bones; however when it was poorly cast by Gilderoy Lockhart after a 1992 Quidditch match at Hogwarts on Harry Potter, it ended up vanishing his bones instead.[5]
Counter-charm for hiccoughs - cures hiccoughing.[6]
Counter-curse for Curse of the Bogies - Counter-curse for the Curse of the Bogies.[7]
Entrail-Expelling Curse - a curse to presumably expel entrails or bodily fluids from the patient, invented by the Healer Urquhart Rackharrow.[8]
Episkey spell to treat mild to moderate injuries including split lips and broken noses.[1][9]
Ossio Dispersimus - vanishes broken bones.[10]
Reparifors heals minor magically-induced ailments like paralysis.[11]
Reviving Spell - revives unconscious people, and acts as the Counter-charm to the Stunning Spell.[12]
Shock Spell - presumably a magical equivalent of reactivating the heart beat, brain and/or body parts. Possibly also used in a similar way to muggle Electroconvulsive therapy.[13]
Spell to cure Wartcap powder infection - Cures infections caused by Wartcap powder.[14]
Stamina Charm - restores stamina and heals injuries.[15]
Vulnera Sanentur spell used to heal deep gashes like those caused by the curse Sectumsempra.[16][17]

Unidentified Healing spells

Madam Pomfrey used an unidentified spell to heal a gash on Harry Potter's shoulder after the First Task of the Triwizard Tournament.[18]
Albus Dumbledore used an unidentified spell to heal a cut he made on his arm in order to give the offering of blood needed to enter the Horcrux cave.[19]
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
none, because they're not in my field of interest, besides there is no such thing as a low-tier med school, when you graduate all med-students pretty much get the same employment opportunities, not dependant on what "tier" your university was
Original post by Hazadd

If medicine is what you want to do, then definitely choose this course instead of biomed! Only avoid the uni if you know for sure that it is an actual trainwreck, but im sure it cant be that bad?
I mean if I want to do medicine then I'd obviously do medicine ?? what kind of question is this
that makes sense. I dont see why "meh, this uni is the BEST in the country" should lead you to not doing your dream course!
Reply 8
Original post by nursingstudentuk
If medicine is what you want to do, then definitely choose this course instead of biomed! Only avoid the uni if you know for sure that it is an actual trainwreck, but im sure it cant be that bad?

There are some med schools where as low as 54% of the grads can pass doctor's exams versus others where it is 92%, so there definitely are big differences somewhere. You can retake the exams though as I understand it, but just a bit concerning what that med school must be like to have such bad numbers.

Having said that, if you have a 55% chance of passing that's better than 0%, which is what it is if you don't get in. I'd take the offer OP for sure.
(edited 3 years ago)
Firstly, those are two very different degrees, so depending on what you interests/career goals are - apples and oranges. It's also important to realise what's going on in the 'world of work' outside of the university bubble. Sure, for many other degrees and their subsequent careers the prestige of the university from which you gained the degree matters a lot. However if you are from (and are planning on staying in) the UK, you're lucky enough to be in a position where the healthcare industry is so desperate for medical professionals that unis' matter little.
Original post by medds
There are some med schools where not even half the grads can pass doctor's exams, so it gets quite bad. You can retake the exams though as I understand it, but just a bit concerning what that med school must be like to have such bad numbers.

Having said that, if you have a 40% chance of passing that's better than 0%, which is what it is if you don't get in. I'd take the offer OP for sure.

They are extremely tough exams and the emphasis is, in fact, on finding reasons not to pass you. It's not like university exams.

The 2008 McManus study gets brought up every few weeks on TSR and I have long thought that people are drawing the wrong conclusions from it. There are many different postgraduate exams but I don't believe there are any studies which show certain medical schools have 50% fail rates across the board, as you're suggesting ("not even half the grads can pass doctor's exams"). Happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Interestingly, many of the medical schools in the 2008 study whose graduates scored lower MRCP pass marks (e.g. Dundee) are ones which do quite well in league tables (again, Dundee: ranked 1st in the UK for medicine in CUG 2021). Where does that leave the OP?
Original post by Ryandrummond
healthcare industry is so desperate for medical professionals

this is what im banking on :biggrin::s-smilie: lol i liked the idea of job security
Original post by medds
There are some med schools where not even half the grads can pass doctor's exams, so it gets quite bad. You can retake the exams though as I understand it, but just a bit concerning what that med school must be like to have such bad numbers.

Having said that, if you have a 40% chance of passing that's better than 0%, which is what it is if you don't get in. I'd take the offer OP for sure.

On re-reading this, I think this is really quite an irresponsible and oversimplified post to a (presumed) nurse or nursing student - basically telling him or her that some medical schools produce graduates with 50% general fail rates which is "quite bad".

Would really suggest being more measured in how data like this is communicated.
Original post by nursingstudentuk
this is what im banking on :biggrin::s-smilie: lol i liked the idea of job security

Yeah honestly, my girlfriend is also a nursing student too (about to graduate) - you need not ever worry about being out of work.
Reply 14
I agree with most of your points except this one.

There is no such thing as a "low tier" medical school :argh:

Lots of degree courses are accredited by the relevant professional bodies to meets their standards. Yet Oxbridge, imperial, Durham, UCL tend to be the preferred choice. Even though in the grand scheme of things after your first job an employer doesn’t give a monkeys what university or degree class u got. I would say there are low or high tier medical schools or engineering schools accredited by the relevant bodies but u can be a doctor or engineer with either as u have to follow the accreditation process.

PS
GEM is a waste of time if u know u want to be a doctor from the outset. Just take a gap year and reapply.
I would do biomed at Oxford, because I don't want to do medicine. If you want to do medicine, probably choose the medicine course (obviously)?
So, who wants to take a bet that OP is a one post wonder troll?

EDIT: I take it back, OP has 6 posts.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ryandrummond
Yeah honestly, my girlfriend is also a nursing student too (about to graduate) - you need not ever worry about being out of work.

oo, does she have a TSR account? Does she have any tips/advice? :biggrin: tryna get it where I can lol
Reply 18
I suppose in the case even if they do know and it is explicitly stated they can’t discriminate against it. That is difficult to prove as they could say it because of reason Y instead of because he went to Cardiff medical school instead of Oxbridge as an example.
Reply 19
Original post by Democracy
They are extremely tough exams and the emphasis is, in fact, on finding reasons not to pass you. It's not like university exams.

The 2008 McManus study gets brought up every few weeks on TSR and I have long thought that people are drawing the wrong conclusions from it. There are many different postgraduate exams but I don't believe there are any studies which show certain medical schools have 50% fail rates across the board, as you're suggesting ("not even half the grads can pass doctor's exams"). Happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Interestingly, many of the medical schools in the 2008 study whose graduates scored lower MRCP pass marks (e.g. Dundee) are ones which do quite well in league tables (again, Dundee: ranked 1st in the UK for medicine in CUG 2021). Where does that leave the OP?

Its from the GMC's numbers from 2014-2019 for all exams, not 2008. https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/reports-and-reviews/progression-reports/specialty-examinations

Just checked and you're right - sorry. The lowest 'proper' med school is Swansea at 54%. We don't have any data for the newer med schools though (and newer tends to = worse so far). But i'll correct.

Yeah they're hard exams but some med schools have 92% pass rates. Its that contrast that I'd suggest most lay people would find quite concerning. Do you disagree?

League tables are complete *******s agreed. Its easy to find actual data though.

As above - its that contrast is just really striking as someone who is not part of the medical industry. And aren't these exams being taken years later? Yet the impact is so large that it lasts until then?

The Mcmanus study seems to think that only half is pre-entry standards. Although concluding that some med schools have poor entry standards (relative, but pronounced) isn't really any less reassuring though, from an external perspective.

Original post by Democracy
On re-reading this, I think this is really quite an irresponsible and oversimplified post to a (presumed) nurse or nursing student - basically telling him or her that some medical schools produce graduates with 50% general fail rates which is "quite bad".

Would really suggest being more measured in how data like this is communicated.

Med schools shouldn't be above criticism, I'm sure you'll agree.

I've discussed this with numerous doctors in real life and on here and none have convinced me that this is anything less than a very significant difference. As I said I know you can retake, lots of times even, but that really doesn't come across great in terms of the calibre of that candidate does it? And if that is 46% of your graduates, when its only 8% of another med school, it starts seeming a bit like we shouldn't be blaming individuals doesn't it?

I think the only reason the GMC can't come down hard on schools like Swansea and Barts is becuase those exams are taken a few years later. Hopefully the UKMLA will shine light on any discrepancy at the point of exit, and any failing med schools dealt with a lot more easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending