The Student Room Group

ImechE accreditation

How important is it to have this accreditation on an UG course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say fairly important. Should you work in mechanical engineering after you graduate it will make your path to getting chartered considerably easier. However, a considerable proportion of graduates don't stay in engineering and even if you do it is possible to go through a process to satisfy the institution that you have the required knowledge and understanding even though your degree was not accredited. But...there are some big companies that only recruit engineers who have completed accredited courses (this is certainly true for Chem Eng, not certain for Mech Eng) so it may limit your employment choices later..

If it's a UK university it would be worth asking them why they're not accredited - almost all are.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ben288888

Its important.
Employers kind of expect it.

It would raise big questions in my mind about the degree.

(less so if its a mechanical degree accredited by the IET/other engineering council) but no accreditation at all for a BEng/MEng. I wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on working in the UK).
Reply 3

Depends on the circumstances.

Also if a new course isn't accredited, but other engineering courses at the university are, then it's likely the course will be accredited by the time you graduate.

Which course / university is it?
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Its important.
Employers kind of expect it.

It would raise big questions in my mind about the degree.

(less so if its a mechanical degree accredited by the IET/other engineering council) but no accreditation at all for a BEng/MEng. I wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on working in the UK).

Ok thank you that's good to know

Very - you can't get Chartered status without an accredited degree if you want to go that route.

It shows you the course is going to make you a good Engineer :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Doones
Depends on the circumstances.

Also if a new course isn't accredited, but other engineering courses at the university are, then it's likely the course will be accredited by the time you graduate.

Which course / university is it?

It's nottingham and course is mech eng, I'm going into 2nd year and I'haveve got a placement year lined up in 3rd but have had a change of mind and would rather do a finance related placement, but have been told that if the placement is not engineering based the course isn't accredited.
Reply 7
It's nottingham and course is mech eng, I'm going into 2nd year and I'haveve got a placement year lined up in 3rd but have had a change of mind and would rather do a finance related placement, but have been told that if the placement is not engineering based the course isn't accredited.

Do you want to be an engineer?

If you don't want to be an Engineer then just do the 3 year course ie don't do the placement. Get Finance experience in your summer vac.

You then have the best of both worlds.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
Very - you can't get Chartered status without an accredited degree if you want to go that route.

You can. Large numbers of chartered engineers do not have degrees which have been accredited by the professional engineering institution by whom they are chartered. I think it's about 70% don't for the IET, though less for the others. However, if you don't then you have to go through an additional process to demonstrate that you have an equivalent level of knowledge and understanding before you make your main application for chartered status.
(edited 3 years ago)

Is this because you're not planning to work as an engineer after graduation?

Can you not just graduate with a BEng mechanical engineer instead of BEng mechanical engineering with a placement year.
And then just take the 12 months out as temporary suspension of studies?
Original post by mnot
Can you not just graduate with a BEng mechanical engineer instead of BEng mechanical engineering with a placement year.

Good idea. That should get the OP a degree accredited to IEng standard.
Original post by Compost
You can. Large numbers of chartered engineers do not have degrees which have been accredited by the professional engineering institution by whom they are chartered.* I think it's about 70% don't for the IET, though less for the others. However, if you don't then you have to go through an additional process to demonstrate that you have an equivalent level of knowledge and understanding before you make your main application for chartered status.

Yes but this is a hassle and I don;t recommend that my students do this. It's also a quality issue as far as I am concerned.
Original post by mnot

That's what I suggested above.

You should be able to take a year of absence and do an informal year in industry providing the company accepts it.
Yes but this is a hassle and I don;t recommend that my students do this. It's also a quality issue as far as I am concerned.

Also the reason why the numbers are so high is because the goalpost for becoming chartered has shifted. Becoming chartered without a degree was commonplace 20 years ago, not so much now, and a lot of the old fellows tend to stick around which inflates those kinds of stats.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Also the reason why the numbers are so high is because the goalpost for becoming chartered has shifted. Becoming chartered without a degree was commonplace 20 years ago, not so much now, and a lot of the old fellows tend to stick around which inflates those kinds of stats.

What is your point here?

It isn't sensible to take an unaccredited degree now.
What is your point here?

It isn't sensible to take an unaccredited degree now.

That's literally my point, I'm backing you up.

Their stat is irrelevant because it includes people who became chartered long before accredited degrees became the standard option towards becoming chartered.
Original post by Helloworld_95
That's literally my point, I'm backing you up.

Their stat is irrelevant because it includes people who became chartered long before accredited degrees became the standard option towards becoming chartered.

Ah right - it wasn't clear because I did not read the posts above, just your response to me :smile:
Reply 19
To be clear, it's perfectly doable, but graduating with a BEng (and that element would be fully accredited) would be a much better plan, and cheaper too:
https://www.engc.org.uk/education-skills/accreditation-of-higher-education-programmes/information-on-accreditation-for-higher-education-students-and-graduates/

"If your degree programme isn’t accredited

If you hold a non-accredited degree you may also work towards becoming an IEng or CEng. Your application will be individually assessed by your chosen professional engineering institution. Advice will be offered about any additional learning that should be followed in order to demonstrate equivalence with an accredited programme."

Quick Reply

Latest