The Student Room Group

[Poll] Should we re close school due to spike in Covid cases?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scotney
Honestly I despair.Try looking across to Europe who were in this position 4 weeks ago!Young people are currently more likely to test positive for the disease and will only be mildly ill if at all but this will over time result in their parents and grandparents contracting the disease.Then the hospialisation and death rates rise have you no comprehension how this works

There's no need to be confrontational, i am fully aware that children can be vectors of the virus and then pass these onto relatives however children need their education as well as all the other benefits school brings (normality from a chaotic household, an escape from an abuser, resources for mental health and professionals to confide in) and can't be kept in an artificial bubble forever.
If death rates and hospital admissions suddenly spike then a lockdown has some basis. Everyone is safe if they stay in their houses but society needs to have some sort of functionality. The rise of cases in young people is hardly surprising when they tend to work retail and 0 hour work that is harder to work from home (i.e not an office environment) as well as going back to school. The argument is whether it is worth risking others to enable these things to happen which is an emotive subject I dont have a concrete answer to.
At some point society has to resume or the long term ramifications will be far worse than the effects of the virus in the present. The government should consider intergeneration social quarantine before shutting down the entire country again into a lockdown it can't sustain. If you do not live with your grandparents and want to reduce the risk then you shouldn't visit them. This would be more effective than creating arbitrary numbers of people you can meet with outside of your household.
There is of course the risk of living in an intergenerational household but that is the government's decision on when or whether that risk is acceptable.

Currently we are well behind the likes of spain.
(edited 3 years ago)
Nope! Children should be in school. Signs of abuse can be spotted, social skills develop, parents need to go to work/be able to work from home etc.

Pubs, restaurants, none essential shops etc need to close first, and travel corridors should be ditched and a mandatory quarantine period introduced for everyone upon return/entry to the UK. Masks need to be enforced in shops and be introduced for colleges & secondary schools (with lanyards so students can be identified). Contact tracing needs sorting out. There’s currently so much that can be done to prevent the spread, closing of schools should be the very last case scenario.

I believe if no vaccine is made, this is going to become like chicken pox, where it is desired for children to get it young as there is less risk to their health.
Original post by 8013
My school is doing the best online learning so far, so there are no worries.
We have just moved real school into online, as we have to wear uniforms and show our faces and notes in lessons. This includes in tests when our whole bodies have to be shown.
Our ECs are running as normal.
And someone I know was penalised after joining an online classroom 0.3 seconds late.
Our homework penalty is still running.

It only the UK could be bothered to do this but they can't so imo schools need to be open in the UK.
Original post by Scotney
Honestly I despair.Try looking across to Europe who were in this position 4 weeks ago!Young people are currently more likely to test positive for the disease and will only be mildly ill if at all but this will over time result in their parents and grandparents contracting the disease.Then the hospialisation and death rates rise have you no comprehension how this works

Yeah and schools are STILL open in many parts of Europe. We should introduce mandatory mask wearing in schools or have online lessons but the UK is too lazy to do any of these (heck even the USA are doing these things) so sorry schools need to stay open.
Original post by 1st superstar
Yeah @BlinkyBill any reason why we can't see the results of the poll despite it being closed? (This has happened to me several times).

Well that's bizarre. I've just reopened and closed it, and that seems to have fixed it for me. Can you see the results now?
Original post by BlinkyBill
Well that's bizarre. I've just reopened and closed it, and that seems to have fixed it for me. Can you see the results now?

Yes and will this persistent issue be fixed?
Original post by 1st superstar
Yes and will this persistent issue be fixed?

The issue is caused by the url you're looking at being showpost.php rather than showthread.php

All you need is to change your url slightly and you should see the poll. Given that the bug's been going years and there's a very early workaround, I cannot see it being top of the list to fix.
Yeah great idea. Let's shut down the country everytime we get a spike in a virus that isn't going away.
Original post by 04MR17
The issue is caused by the url you're looking at being showpost.php rather than showthread.php

All you need is to change your url slightly and you should see the poll. Given that the bug's been going years and there's a very early workaround, I cannot see it being top of the list to fix.

Ok thanks
Reply 49
Original post by Parziva1
0.3 seconds :eek:

This is broken. Someone submitted a piece of work 0.18 seconds late and got penalised.
Reply 50
Original post by Parziva1
Do you think we should close schools again because of the spike in COVID cases today?

Just wanted to know your views👍

Yes. My school had a lot of safety measures in place and now we have corona cases. We had a good reputation as our school was the only one in the borough with no cases but we ended up catching the virus. Thankfully, I haven't gotten it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending