The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly, as an asexual, I don't like the term 'asexual days'. Sorry, but I don't. It makes asexual sound like a phase, not a sexuality. (Although I believe that sexuality is a long term phase. :p: You know what I mean!) One can have days where they don't feel sexual drive, of course, but this doesn't mean that they are asexual because they may have a high drive on other days.

Secondly, given that asexuality -should be- recognised as a sexuality in it's own right, the question should really be "Can one suddenly change sexuality" (I'm aware this is mentionned in your post).

I don't believe that the change is "sudden" (ie you wake up one day and decide) but it can be like a 'warming' process, a conclusion you come to over a number of months.
If you were humped by gary glitter, certainly.
I don't know. Perhaps one can decide that having a relationship is not for them. Not sure that's quite the same though.
AnythingButChardonnay
I don't know. Perhaps one can decide that having a relationship is not for them. Not sure that's quite the same though.

Could be personal choice that doesn't need a label, aromantic (lack of a want to be in a romantic relationship) or asexual.
Reply 6
AnythingButChardonnay

Even if someone decides they don't care about sex enough to pursue sexual relationships, it doesn't mean they don't have any sexual attraction. It's celibacy not asexuality.
Depends if you've had a traumatic experience?:s-smilie:
For example if you've been a straight girl all your life then suddenly you were raped horrifically it might turn that person asexual because of this?

I'm just guessing.
Hopeful_Dreams
deleted in case you later decide to edit it out

That's quite a silly generalisation to make, I'm sure a lot of asexuals would be offended by your post, first of all for the majority of them that is not the case, and it also suggests that they have something wrong with them.
Where is emma rainbow (I think that's her username) when you need her? :p:
Electric_Dreams

Oh, she'll be here soon enough :biggrin:
Electric_Dreams

Am I not good enough? xD
Spotty Dog
I'm not sure if I've missed the point of your post. Please excuse me if I have.

Asexuality isn't about "waiting for the right person". I have the right person. He's been my right person for over 2 years now - And I've wanted him to be 'my right person' for well over 5.

Does that mean I'm sexually attracted to him? No. Asexuality isn't a lack of sexual attraction until something better comes along. It's a lack of sexual attraction full stop.

Yep, I've missed the point.

I'll delete my post if you delete this one!
AnythingButChardonnay
Yep, I've missed the point.

I'll delete my post if you delete this one!

Sure. :p:

I read your post several times and couldn't make sense of it - I am sorry! xD
RightSaidJames
That's quite a silly generalisation to make, I'm sure a lot of asexuals would be offended by your post, first of all for the majority of them that is not the case, and it also suggests that they have something wrong with them.

The question is 'Can one suddenly turn asexual?'
And I think my reason is a valid one. Don't you think it's possible that if someone has a horrible sexual experience they might be put off it for life?
Being asexual is just another sexuality.
I'm not suggesting that this is the reasons for all asexuals. I'm suggesting this might be a reason for a sudden change to asexuality (or even into homosexuality).

And no, I do not think that this is what happens to the majority of people who are asexual nor do I believe there is something wrong with them:rolleyes:
Hopeful_Dreams
The question is 'Can one suddenly turn asexual?'
And I think my reason is a valid one. Don't you think it's possible that if someone has a horrible sexual experience they might be put off it for life?
Being asexual is just another sexuality.
I'm not suggesting that this is the reasons for all asexuals. I'm suggesting this might be a reason for a sudden change to asexuality (or even into homosexuality).

And no, I do not think that this is what happens to the majority of people who are asexual nor do I believe there is something wrong with them:rolleyes:

But they would not be asexual, they would have a fear of sex and sexual contact as a direct result of their experience. You just can't lump the two "conditions" (and I use that term lightly with regards to asexuality) together.
RightSaidJames
But they would not be asexual, they would have a fear of sex and sexual contact as a direct result of their experience. You just can't lump the two "conditions" (and I use that term lightly with regards to asexuality) together.

Ditto. I think, no matter how traumatic (although I speak with no experience of such violence) an attack is, the sexual thoughts would still remain, and the want to act on them, even if the act of sex is too painful.

That's what most asexuals would say they lack, I think - The sexual thoughts and drives.
RightSaidJames

And lack of sexual attraction as well. Asexuality is a lack of sexual attraction. The majority of people who are asexual are just asexual because they are just like any other sexuality. I also said that such person could turn homosexual as well since they might have a bad connotation with that gender.
But I do believe that if a person has a horrifying sexual experience it can take away their sexual attraction completely or change their gender preference. It happens with other things why not with sexual attraction as well? Seems normal to me.
Reply 18
I think people are confusing asexuality with being frigid
Tufts
I think people are confusing asexuality with being frigid

Always. :no:

Latest

Trending

Trending