The Student Room Group

Where do I belong?. Am I asexual?

For my entire life I have hated having sex and did it because I felt it was needed for a relationship. Yet after a bad relationship I decided to remain celibate, it's been almost 4 years and discovered I have no sexual urges ever, I find men and women attractive but I never feel the want for anything more. I never seem to get turned on or feel any desires for sex, but I do miss having a close relationship with someone.
I feel there's something wrong with me 😔

Any advice I'd be grateful 🥲

Thank you 🙏
Original post by BeeDee38
For my entire life I have hated having sex and did it because I felt it was needed for a relationship. Yet after a bad relationship I decided to remain celibate, it's been almost 4 years and discovered I have no sexual urges ever, I find men and women attractive but I never feel the want for anything more. I never seem to get turned on or feel any desires for sex, but I do miss having a close relationship with someone.
I feel there's something wrong with me 😔

Any advice I'd be grateful 🥲

Thank you 🙏

There's nothing wrong with you!
It's good that you've come to accept this feeling, however you need to remember that sexuality is a fluid scale and no one is stuck to a label. This being said you may be a biromantic asexual, meaning you want a romantic relationship with either males/females, but not the sexual part, and that's totally ok.
Reply 2
Original post by notstudyingatall
There's nothing wrong with you!
It's good that you've come to accept this feeling, however you need to remember that sexuality is a fluid scale and no one is stuck to a label. This being said you may be a biromantic asexual, meaning you want a romantic relationship with either males/females, but not the sexual part, and that's totally ok.

I can't thank you enough for your reply.
Truthfully I've only just come to this realisation due seeing someone on TV who I related to and then begun research but I'm honestly confused about everything now.
I lost all family and friends nearly five years ago and I'm discovering for the first time who I am... But I still feel I'm the only one that feels like this.
Thank you again for your kind words and helping me to learn more about myself.
My journey is only beginning but I do appreciate your advice 🙏☺️
Original post by BeeDee38
I can't thank you enough for your reply.
Truthfully I've only just come to this realisation due seeing someone on TV who I related to and then begun research but I'm honestly confused about everything now.
I lost all family and friends nearly five years ago and I'm discovering for the first time who I am... But I still feel I'm the only one that feels like this.
Thank you again for your kind words and helping me to learn more about myself.
My journey is only beginning but I do appreciate your advice 🙏☺️

You're definitely not the only one! I'm the same, and I've come across quite a few other people who are too. I guess it just doesn't get discussed much because nobody knows when to bring it up: too early and it's uncomfortable discussing sex/establishing those boundaries before it was even on the table, but too late and it feels like "leading them on" because they'll just assume everyone is like them... It's a tricky situation to navigate, but it's nice to know it's not as uncommon as it seems.

I can't really give any specific advice since I'm still working things out myself, but I'm sure we'll get there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
You're definitely not the only one! I'm the same, and I've come across quite a few other people who are too. I guess it just doesn't get discussed much because nobody knows when to bring it up: too early and it's uncomfortable discussing sex/establishing those boundaries before it was even on the table, but too late and it feels like "leading them on" because they'll just assume everyone is like them... It's a tricky situation to navigate, but it's nice to know it's not as uncommon as it seems.

I can't really give any specific advice since I'm still working things out myself, but I'm sure we'll get there :smile:

I already feel relieved knowing you are in the same boat ⛵☺️
I'm 38 and only now "discovering" who I am and not what my family and friends expected of me and every week I'm learning something new.
I'm enjoying it but phew it sure is scary.
I've not disclosed this to anyone else except on here but I guess it's taking that first step, isn't it 🙏
Thank you too for your very supportive and compassionate advice 💖☺️💖

Quick Reply

Latest