The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
PublicSchoolAnn
Just wondering(i hope this isnt hijacking PQ) but would state school folk like to have gone to private schools or not? And private school folk would you have liked to have gone to a state school?

having gone to both, i preferred private overall, but it did mean i ended up getting lesser grades than i probably would have done in the grammar school.
Reply 81
2 5 +
What would you call it? "Technik and Bigcnee talk sh*te"... also sounds like a great idea for a TV/radio show. I'd watch.

We could put it on C4.
Mr White
Oh yes? Such as my overwhelming Christian morality?

And your air of superiority.
PublicSchoolAnn
Just wondering(i hope this isnt hijacking PQ) but would state school folk like to have gone to private schools or not? And private school folk would you have liked to have gone to a state school?

I wouldn't have wanted to go to a private school because to be honest, I don't think the school you go to can make that much difference, although since I've never been to a private school, I can't be certain about that. Also, the main thing I'd be worried about was that everyone would be total snobs. How about you, PublicSchoolAnn? Would you have liked to have gone to a state school?
Reply 84
wiwarin_mir
And your air of superiority.

Catholics have a reputation for considering themselves superior? :confused:
Reply 85
PublicSchoolAnn

If I were to go to a state school, I'd expect to have worse teaching, and worse facilities...etc so no.
Reply 86
PublicSchoolAnn

No, state school was fine, and probably gives me better social skills in the long run :smile:
Tinykates

Considering that they are always claiming they are the only Christians and every other denomination is false.
kellywood_5
I wouldn't have wanted to go to a private school because to be honest, I don't think the school you go to can make that much difference, although since I've never been to a private school, I can't be certain about that. Also, the main thing I'd be worried about was that everyone would be total snobs. How about you, PublicSchoolAnn? Would you have liked to have gone to a state school?

Erm well you couldnt throw me into a state school now! I know that things are way easier in a private school. Iv always been private and can honestly say that iv always liked school-its got better as iv got older too. It sounds so naff but a school does shape a person and if i hadnt been at the school that im at i probably wouldnt have been so into the things that i am and would be doing totally different things.I wouldnt have had half the opportunities iv had if id gone state
Reply 89
surely all religions do this?
Reply 90
wiwarin_mir
Considering that they are always claiming they are the only Christians and every other denomination is false.

None of the catholics I know say that - but obviously they would think every other denomination is false because catholism is their religion and that's what they believe.
kikzen
surely all religions do this?

Not all denominations do though, although they may alter slightly in belief, they do not say they are the one true denomination.
Reply 92
PublicSchoolAnn

There wasn't anything wrong with my state primary school, though I'm not sure that there is much difference between state and private primary schools. As for secondary school, the comprehensives near me are alright (about 70% A*-C at GCSE), though I prefer the smaller class sizes at my school, so no.
Reply 93
Tinykates

Apparently. Catholic Schools all the way for me. That made me a 'snob' according to some people (who hadn't even spoken to me.)
Reply 94
bratcat
Apparently. Catholic Schools all the way for me. That made me a 'snob' according to some people (who hadn't even spoken to me.)

Pfft. Ignore them. :biggrin: (I'm sure you did anyway)
Tinykates
Pfft. Ignore them. :biggrin: (I'm sure you did anyway)

You cannot deny that Mr white as an air of superiority to him, so I have not just made a split second judgement on him.
I went to one of the best state schools in the region (top 20 in the country), and been state all my life, so I think I got the best of both worlds.

Although saying that I don't think there's any private secondary/VI form Colleges within 50 miles of where I live.
Reply 97
I don't think the private places would take me anyway.

Say, for example, I was at a debate once (geeky, I know) and ranting about private schools to a group of people nearby- Manchester Grammar School were our opponents.

I said some things. For example, that the first 5 A*s were on the house, and that you basically paid for the results; a bit like bribery, I think I put it at the time.

I later found out that the guy in the group who looked unfamiliar was in fact the Head Boy of Manchester Grammar School. I don't think he was best pleased.

But we beat them, so all's well that ends well.
Reply 98
State primary, private school and 6th form
Reply 99
I went to a prep. school, then a grammar school, to another private school for a while, and then tried an odd mixture of irregular classes at a local 'institute' (not of the mental variety) and home-schooling (i. e., autodidacticism).

Latest

Trending

Trending