The Student Room Group

Access to HE Humanities Course Material

Hi all,

I'm applying to study an Access to He Humanities and Social Sciences course so I can go on to do a History Degree in order to be a teacher. I'd be eternally grateful if there is anybody who has done this course in the past and can recommend any textbooks?

Thank you
Reply 2
Hello! Which subjects, in particular, are you studying within this access course? I did not study history within my access to HE social sciences course, but I can suggest some psychology, politics, and sociology textbooks that I found useful for referencing in my assignments.

One general book I would recommend is the Palgrave Study Skills 'Cite Them Right' book if you are not familiar with referencing. Referencing correctly can easily improve your grade.

To add on to the suggestion of buying secondhand books, I was recommended to also look through the World of Books website for a more affordable option when I started my course. Also make sure to check your college's library resources, as they should in theory give you access to free ebooks relevant to your studies.
Reply 3
Original post by nc127
Hello! Which subjects, in particular, are you studying within this access course? I did not study history within my access to HE social sciences course, but I can suggest some psychology, politics, and sociology textbooks that I found useful for referencing in my assignments.

One general book I would recommend is the Palgrave Study Skills 'Cite Them Right' book if you are not familiar with referencing. Referencing correctly can easily improve your grade.

To add on to the suggestion of buying secondhand books, I was recommended to also look through the World of Books website for a more affordable option when I started my course. Also make sure to check your college's library resources, as they should in theory give you access to free ebooks relevant to your studies.

I have a list of all subjects that would be included. Are you interring that they might not teach all?
I personally wouldn't recommend buying textbooks until you've actually started the course. I did my Access course a few years ago and didn't need any textbooks at all. - Most of my information I found on the internet and they're not as fussy with referencing as they are in university (Just leave Wiki out, mind)

The only thing I remember needing was a few fiction books that I'd borrowed from the library for the English Lit section. Don't waste your money.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TaeTaeDS
I have a list of all subjects that would be included. Are you interring that they might not teach all?

Not at all. My class was allowed to pick either History or Psychology alongside Politics and Sociology, and History was the subject that determined if it was 'Humanities and Social Sciences' or just 'Social Sciences'. It was still, essentially, the same course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending