The Student Room Group

would Bristol count as an aspirational?

So I'm applying to Bristol uni for Law, and the entry requirement is A*AA/A*A*B. I am predicted AAA (and A in EPQ) so at first glance this would be my aspirational uni, but my school qualifies for the contextual offer which could bring the entry requirement down to AAB. Would Bristol still count as an 'aspirational' choice given this (it's also a bit harder than others to get into, UCAS offer rate calculator puts it as a little over 50%)? I'm planning on applying to 1 aspirational, 3 realistic and 1 safety so whether or not Bristol counts as an aspirational uni will effect where I apply
Original post by Omgcobbly
So I'm applying to Bristol uni for Law, and the entry requirement is A*AA/A*A*B. I am predicted AAA (and A in EPQ) so at first glance this would be my aspirational uni, but my school qualifies for the contextual offer which could bring the entry requirement down to AAB. Would Bristol still count as an 'aspirational' choice given this (it's also a bit harder than others to get into, UCAS offer rate calculator puts it as a little over 50%)? I'm planning on applying to 1 aspirational, 3 realistic and 1 safety so whether or not Bristol counts as an aspirational uni will effect where I apply

I think it's borderline- if you definitely qualify for the contextual offer, then it is probably a realistic choice BUT Bristol is pretty competitive for law (as are a lot of unis). I think if you want to apply, go for it, though!

Have you spoken to Bristol about their contextual offer scheme and how it will work?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think it's borderline- if you definitely qualify for the contextual offer, then it is probably a realistic choice BUT Bristol is pretty competitive for law (as are a lot of unis). I think if you want to apply, go for it, though!

Have you spoken to Bristol about their contextual offer scheme and how it will work?

Bristol's contextual conditions are very clear on their website. If you meet the contextual conditions eg school in lower 40% you get the lower offer. It gets flagged up and admissions make the lower offer. One issue with Bristol is that they take LNAT into account so make sure you take that.

The aspirational issue is really something you use. It isnt an official thing. Given you meet the contextual condition I wouldnt count it as an aspirational choice.

I'd say an aspirational uni is any uni with a higher entry requirement which will push you to achieve better. If you think Bristol meets this description then by all means apply.

If you are certain that you meet Bristol's contextual offer criteria ( http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/ ) then this is not an 'aspirational' choice as you clearly meet the required grades for such an offer. Btw, Bristol doesnt give extra credit for EPQs for Law.

Bristol scores applications as GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40% - so your higher predicted A level grades work in your favour. You just need a good LNAT performance. Bristol doesn't read PS for Law.

Bristol is therefore a very good choice for you - the advantage of a lower grade offer, and if you pick that as your Firm, it eases the stress about exams/results.
(edited 3 years ago)
Just do well on the LNAT and you will be more than fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending