The Student Room Group

Part-time jobs at uni

Lately I've been thinking a lot about student loans, and how I could minimise the time it takes to pay them off. Right now, including maintenance loans, mine would come up to about £55k in total, and that scares me a little tbh

Anyway, I was wondering what an average uni student might earn in a year from a typical part-time job. I'm trying to figure out if it would be feasible for me to save up money from a part-time job throughout my whole time at uni so I don't need maintenance loans in the second and third years. Is that feasible or too ambitious? How much do part-timers at uni typically earn?
Original post by xevamore
Lately I've been thinking a lot about student loans, and how I could minimise the time it takes to pay them off. Right now, including maintenance loans, mine would come up to about £55k in total, and that scares me a little tbh

Anyway, I was wondering what an average uni student might earn in a year from a typical part-time job. I'm trying to figure out if it would be feasible for me to save up money from a part-time job throughout my whole time at uni so I don't need maintenance loans in the second and third years. Is that feasible or too ambitious? How much do part-timers at uni typically earn?

I was listening to Martin Lewis on the radio recently talking about student loans, his advice was not to try and pay off your student loan to quickly, especially if you have other loans like credit cars etc. You probably find his advice online, as it’s quite long winded I can’t remember everything he said, but it will probably stop you worrying, basically he said once you get a well paid job, your wages will be garnished by a small amount each month, and you have plenty of time to pay it off, hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending