The Student Room Group

Flatmate wants me to pay fines if he violates anything without a tv licence

sorry if this is messy, i'm still a bit angry and stressed about this, though i may be stressing about nothing.

tldr; flatmate wanted a tv licence only to watch MOTD, I refused because of the expenses and found a loophole on a website. flatmate says on the off-chance he does get in trouble and gets a fine, I have to pay for it. does he have any power to do this? could he put me down for the fine instead if some people did contact the property? what actions would I need to take? I feel like I have no obligations.

Recently moved in with a course mate for 2nd year, and he wanted a tv licence so he could watch motd, nothing else. I don't watch live tv and have not for years, so when he wanted to split the fee to buy the licence, I refused. It just doesn't make sense that I would pay for something I will never use, and being only two people, the amount I need to pay is significant.

I eventually found a website that stated a loophole, where as long as the device isn't plugged in to the mains of the house, you are still technically under your parent's tv licence. I showed him and he said fine, we don't pay for one then.

A few days later, he says to me that if he did violate any rules by not getting a tv licence, like watching live tv in the flat, I would have to pay the fine for him since I'm the one who found the loophole and didn't want to pay for a tv licence.

I'm just wondering a few things:
Is this loophole legal? https://www.savethestudent.org/news/tv-licensing-loophole-revealed-students-dont-need-a-licence-to-watch-iplayer-after-all.html
Does my flatmate have any standing or point?
Could my flatmate throw me under the bus and put my name down instead of his for the fine?
Your flat mate can make his own decisions about whether it is legal or not-if he doesn’t trust that it is and still wants to watch tv then it’s up to him to pay for the license (providing you don’t then use it)

(Important to note that paying monthly it’s only £13 a month so not exactly exorbitant fees)

Of course he can put your name down if he likes-but you would refute that and they’d decide who was liable.
Original post by istressalot
sorry if this is messy, i'm still a bit angry and stressed about this, though i may be stressing about nothing.

tldr; flatmate wanted a tv licence only to watch MOTD, I refused because of the expenses and found a loophole on a website. flatmate says on the off-chance he does get in trouble and gets a fine, I have to pay for it. does he have any power to do this? could he put me down for the fine instead if some people did contact the property? what actions would I need to take? I feel like I have no obligations.

Recently moved in with a course mate for 2nd year, and he wanted a tv licence so he could watch motd, nothing else. I don't watch live tv and have not for years, so when he wanted to split the fee to buy the licence, I refused. It just doesn't make sense that I would pay for something I will never use, and being only two people, the amount I need to pay is significant.

I eventually found a website that stated a loophole, where as long as the device isn't plugged in to the mains of the house, you are still technically under your parent's tv licence. I showed him and he said fine, we don't pay for one then.

A few days later, he says to me that if he did violate any rules by not getting a tv licence, like watching live tv in the flat, I would have to pay the fine for him since I'm the one who found the loophole and didn't want to pay for a tv licence.

I'm just wondering a few things:

Is this loophole legal? https://www.savethestudent.org/news/tv-licensing-loophole-revealed-students-dont-need-a-licence-to-watch-iplayer-after-all.html [ It isnt a loophole its part of the rules. You can watch it on your laptop or phone if its not plugged in].
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

Does my flatmate have any standing or point? [ You being liable? Not your TV and you dont watch it. You provided information, the choice to follow it is theirs, not yours. Tell them to do one. ]

Could my flatmate throw me under the bus and put my name down instead of his for the fine? [ Just never let anyone in. In any event the TV I assume is his? Nope he couldnt throw you under a bus. all you did was show him a rule which is correct]
Original post by 999tigger
Is this loophole legal? https://www.savethestudent.org/news/tv-licensing-loophole-revealed-students-dont-need-a-licence-to-watch-iplayer-after-all.html [ It isnt a loophole its part of the rules. You can watch it on your laptop or phone if its not plugged in].
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

Does my flatmate have any standing or point? [ You being liable? Not your TV and you dont watch it. You provided information, the choice to follow it is theirs, not yours. Tell them to do one. ]

Could my flatmate throw me under the bus and put my name down instead of his for the fine? [ Just never let anyone in. In any event the TV I assume is his? Nope he couldnt throw you under a bus. all you did was show him a rule which is correct]

Woah is this actually true?

I can watch BBC IPlayer on my latptop, at uni, without a TV license as long as I don't plug it into the wall when watching it and my parents have a TV License of their own at our family home? I know that's literally what the article says but I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding lol XD
Original post by randomsheep11
Woah is this actually true?

I can watch BBC IPlayer on my latptop, at uni, without a TV license as long as I don't plug it into the wall when watching it and my parents have a TV License of their own at our family home? I know that's literally what the article says but I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding lol XD

Yes. Thats what it says.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. Thats what it says.

Oh wow thank you so much, this is honestly amazing news :smile:
Original post by randomsheep11
Oh wow thank you so much, this is honestly amazing news :smile:

I keep forgetting for freshers or students its all new to them. People who might get caught are those with standalone TVs.
If you wnat to save time then no harm when you go home photocopying your parents licence and printing off the link page.
whats the off-chance? unless he opens his big gob theres very little chance of you getting fined. when a tv license officer comes to the door you don't have to answer and if you do answer and they ask to see your license you can simply just refuse to show it. I don't see any coming to the door during a lockdown anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending