The Student Room Group

Can I do Computer Science at uni despite not liking maths?

I'm deciding what I want to study at university and I've exhausted many fields. However, computer science and the careers associated with it has been a field that I've been interested in since I was 11, but I stopped considering it when I decided to pursue medicine (I dropped that idea too, lol). However, I've decided to come back to it but I'm just wondering whether I'll be cut out for it.

The reason is because I've always felt insecure about my abilities in maths and didn't feel good enough to continue with it at A-Level. My teachers and friends have always told me that it's just a lack of confidence because I did okay at GCSE (I got an 8 in GCSE Maths and a B in Further Maths) but I feel like I struggled too much to get it.

Anyway, I'm just scared whether I'll be suitable for Computer Science even if Maths isn't a subject I'm passionate about. Would I cope well with it in spite of that?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fiixnaa
I'm deciding what I want to study at university and I've exhausted many fields. However, computer science and the careers associated with it has been a field that I've been interested in since I was 11, but I stopped considering it when I decided to pursue medicine (I dropped that idea too, lol). However, I've decided to come back to it but I'm just wondering whether I'll be cut out for it.

The reason is because I've always felt insecure about my abilities in maths and didn't feel good enough to continue with it at A-Level. My teachers and friends have always told me that it's just a lack of confidence because I did okay at GCSE (I got an 8 in GCSE Maths and a B in Further Maths) but I feel like I struggled too much to get it.

Anyway, I'm just scared whether I'll be suitable for Computer Science even if Maths isn't a subject I'm passionate about. Would I cope well with it in spite of that?

'Hardcore' computer science courses are really mathematical... but also not particularly useful.

Maybe you'd like a more vocational IT course like cybersecurity or networking
Hmmmm.... comp Sci is pure maths,
Do you like coding (which is also applied maths)?

There are many peripheral aspects of computing, engineering, coding that will be really necessary for the future of humanity, applied computing, games design, so lots to study. There are also quite exotic degrees if you search deeply enough...
A generic “computing” BSc course here has these requirements for A-level
One of the following: Computer Science, Maths, Architectural Technology, Human Biology, Biology, Building Construction, Chemistry, Engineering Science, Environmental Science, Geography or Physics

Dundee’s ‘gaming uni’ https://www.abertay.ac.uk/course-search/undergraduate/computing/
Original post by fiixnaa

Most leading universities require A level Maths for CS. You will be restricted without it.
Reply 5
Most unis require maths a level but I think there is a thread here somewhere the unis that don't, but usually in that case they require computer science/computing instead
Lol I got a C in maths Gcse and doing CS at the moment. Some unis just don’t require hardcore
Maths. Chill out n apply you will only regret it a little lol. When you graduate it will be worth it.
Original post by Joinedup
'Hardcore' computer science courses are really mathematical... but also not particularly useful.

Maybe you'd like a more vocational IT course like cybersecurity or networking

Emphasis on this. CompSci is far more than Maths, and you can get by just fine without knowing anything more advanced than GCSE level Maths. Some disciplines are Maths heavy, with graphical work and crypto jumping to mind, but CompSci is far more broad than that.

Original post by lilo16
Most unis require maths a level but I think there is a thread here somewhere the unis that don't, but usually in that case they require computer science/computing instead

You'll be thinking of this thread. It's pretty uncommon for unis to require CompSci or a similar subject at A Level, since they're not available to everyone.
Reply 8
Haha, just a little? That’s a relief, lol. Maths doesn’t bother me that much, I just worry that I won’t be good enough for it in a degree like CS which is why I want to go to a university that doesn’t use a lot of hardcore maths. Which university did you end up going to do CS?

Original post by Huntressx1x
Lol I got a C in maths Gcse and doing CS at the moment. Some unis just don’t require hardcore
Maths. Chill out n apply you will only regret it a little lol. When you graduate it will be worth it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
This is what my sister and relatives were telling me but I was speaking to a tutor at my sixth form and she pretty much discouraged me from applying to any university for CS because I didn’t do A Level Maths or A Level Computing and she thinks I won’t cope. That’s what’s giving me a lot of anxiety at the moment and it’s making me struggle writing my personal statement.

I’m considering Nottingham, Leicester and Keele so far for CS because I know they don’t require A Level Maths. If not knowing anything further than GCSE Maths is fine, do you think I’d be able to cope at any of those unis? Or what other universities would you suggest?
Original post by AcseI
Emphasis on this. CompSci is far more than Maths, and you can get by just fine without knowing anything more advanced than GCSE level Maths. Some disciplines are Maths heavy, with graphical work and crypto jumping to mind, but CompSci is far more broad than that.

You'll be thinking of this thread. It's pretty uncommon for unis to require CompSci or a similar subject at A Level, since they're not available to everyone.
Original post by fiixnaa
This is what my sister and relatives were telling me but I was speaking to a tutor at my sixth form and she pretty much discouraged me from applying to any university for CS because I didn’t do A Level Maths or A Level Computing and she thinks I won’t cope. That’s what’s giving me a lot of anxiety at the moment and it’s making me struggle writing my personal statement.

I’m considering Nottingham, Leicester and Keele so far for CS because I know they don’t require A Level Maths. If not knowing anything further than GCSE Maths is fine, do you think I’d be able to cope at any of those unis? Or what other universities would you suggest?

If you didn't take those subjects, how is your teacher coming to the conclusion you won't cope? Sounds like rubbish to me. Many students don't come into CompSci and similar degrees with any Computing background, on account of never having had the opportunity. And as far as the Maths element goes, that comes down entirely to the degree in question.

I can't really comment on the universities you've mentioned, as I've never attended them. I'll drop you a PM about the uni I attended though with some details.
If you’re really interested in computer science, I would definitely take A level maths. Partly because it gives you a lot more options with higher level universities, but also because you might change your mind about it.
You’ve definitely got the grades to do well in A level maths, and having further maths means AS pure should be a lot easier for you; it sounds like your teachers might be right that it’s genuinely just a lack of confidence.
A level maths is completely different, and personally I found I didn’t understand anything at GCSE, remembered a few methods from class and ended up with an 8. A level was different because I went into the exam genuinely understanding the topics because they go so much deeper.
If you don’t like it at A level you can do a degree that’s less maths heavy like software engineering or cyber security. However, you will still have to option of a high level university for computer science if that’s what you decide you want.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm currently in Year 13 now so the issue with my application is that I didn't take A Level Maths. If I knew I was capable of getting an 8 in GCSE Maths, then maybe I might have considered taking it at A Level but it is genuinely just down to my lack of confidence. I was scared I wouldn't be able to manage with A Level Maths so I decided to take A Level Psychology instead because I thought it'd be easier for me (so far I've not dropped below A*-A grades throughout my mocks/assessments). I am still interested in computer science though, despite the maths. If I work hard and practice, I'm hoping I'll manage. I just wanted some more opinions.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely take a look at software engineering.
Original post by Dancer2001
If you’re really interested in computer science, I would definitely take A level maths. Partly because it gives you a lot more options with higher level universities, but also because you might change your mind about it.
You’ve definitely got the grades to do well in A level maths, and having further maths means AS pure should be a lot easier for you; it sounds like your teachers might be right that it’s genuinely just a lack of confidence.
A level maths is completely different, and personally I found I didn’t understand anything at GCSE, remembered a few methods from class and ended up with an 8. A level was different because I went into the exam genuinely understanding the topics because they go so much deeper.
If you don’t like it at A level you can do a degree that’s less maths heavy like software engineering or cyber security. However, you will still have to option of a high level university for computer science if that’s what you decide you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending