Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm Littleswany one of the CAs for this forum.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about wether Maths is needed to study Computer Science at X University, or can I go to a good uni to study CS even though I didn't take math.So this thread.

I will try to keep it updated be please let me know if something needs updating

Russell Group Universities for CS that dont need Maths:

• Cardiff University
    • University of Edinburgh
    • Kings College London (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Required subjects: At least one of Mathematics, Computer Science, ICT, Computing, Electronics, Physics, Statistics or Software Systems Development.

• University of Leeds (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Required subjects: Either Mathematics, or Computing

• University of Liverpool (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Computing/Computer Science or a mathematical subject (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Physics) at A level is required.

• Newcastle University
    • University of Nottingham
    • Queen Mary University of London

Other Universities for CS that don't need Maths

• City University (See not below)

Spoiler:
    Show

Grades ABB (Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics preferred) or 128 UCAS tariff points. Thanks UWS

Spoiler:
    Show

I am still working on this list but if you would like to give me a hand drop me a PM

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    At City University, Maths is preferred but not required.

Grades ABB (Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics preferred) or 128 UCAS tariff points

ReputationRep:
    Kings college london has in fact changed their entry requirements, now you must have either maths, further maths, computer science or computing. no more accepting with ICT, software developing, electronics etc.
    (Original post by littleswany)
    Hey everyone I'm Littleswany one of the CAs for this forum.

I have seen a couple of discussions here about wether Maths is needed to study Computer Science at X University, or can I go to a good uni to study CS even though I didn't take math.So this thread.

I will try to keep it updated be please let me know if something needs updating

Russell Group Universities for CS that dont need Maths:

• Cardiff University
    • University of Edinburgh
    • Kings College London (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Required subjects: At least one of Mathematics, Computer Science, ICT, Computing, Electronics, Physics, Statistics or Software Systems Development.

• University of Leeds (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Required subjects: Either Mathematics, or Computing

• University of Liverpool (See Note Below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Computing/Computer Science or a mathematical subject (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Pure Mathematics and Physics) at A level is required.

• Newcastle University
    • University of Nottingham
    • Queen Mary University of London

Other Universities for CS that don't need Maths

• City University (See not below)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Grades ABB (Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics preferred) or 128 UCAS tariff points. Thanks UWS

Spoiler:
    Show

I am still working on this list but if you would like to give me a hand drop me a PM

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillindiekid)
    Kings college london has in fact changed their entry requirements, now you must have either maths, further maths, computer science or computing. no more accepting with ICT, software developing, electronics etc.
    Thanks Will change when I am next at my computer
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    This is such a good idea for a thread

Does anyone else have any pearls of wisdom to share?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is my list, mostly restricted to what I think are the best departments/unis. There are probably far more.

Unis that require Maths explicitly:

Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Sheffield, Exeter, Bath, Birmingham, Glasgow, York

Loughborough, Surrey, Dundee, HW, Strathclyde, Aberdeen

Unis that require a mathsy/science subject (CS or Maths or Physics or Chemistry or Econ):
    Leeds, KCL, RHUL, Liverpool, UEA, QUB

Every other uni (grade B at gcse maths and above):
    Newcastle, Nottingham, Lancaster, Kent, Cardiff, Leicester, QMUL, Reading, Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone link the courses? I can't seem to find a computing course at Edinburgh that does not require maths.

ReputationRep:
    As a Computer Science student, I do recommend you look into a bit of Maths before going to University. The majority of A-Level will be covered in just a few hours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.