The Student Room Group

IB: Is taking Math IA detrimental to Russell Group/ Oxbridge Applications?

I'm a year 1 IB student and I want to study law or international relations and my courses are currently:

- English Lit HL
- History HL
- Chemistry HL

- Math AA SL*
- Visual Arts SL
- French B SL

There was a conflict in my school schedule where my math and art class were at the same time as each other and for a while, there was a solution proposed where I could do both but turns out it was temporary. I was given three options:

1. Change my art course for another (this was 2 months into school, and I believe I can get a 6 or a 7 in this course)
2. Continue Math AA online on Pamoja (not advised by teachers and not done often)
3. Switch to Math IA course offered in my school

I chose to continue math AA online yet have found it to not be my preferred form of learning, unreliable, and just do not believe it will prepare me for the exam.

I'm thinking of changing to Math IA which would be very easy for me as I have a high mathematical background with two years of honors, but aside from it essentially then being boring for me as my peers in the class tell me it is I am worried Russell Group Unis will not accept me because it is often described to be the "easier, less challenging math" and it won't show the extent of my academic abilities.

I don't know what to do. Please help!
Original post by isab3llasanch3z
I'm a year 1 IB student and I want to study law or international relations and my courses are currently:

- English Lit HL
- History HL
- Chemistry HL

- Math AA SL*
- Visual Arts SL
- French B SL

There was a conflict in my school schedule where my math and art class were at the same time as each other and for a while, there was a solution proposed where I could do both but turns out it was temporary. I was given three options:

1. Change my art course for another (this was 2 months into school, and I believe I can get a 6 or a 7 in this course)
2. Continue Math AA online on Pamoja (not advised by teachers and not done often)
3. Switch to Math IA course offered in my school

I chose to continue math AA online yet have found it to not be my preferred form of learning, unreliable, and just do not believe it will prepare me for the exam.

I'm thinking of changing to Math IA which would be very easy for me as I have a high mathematical background with two years of honors, but aside from it essentially then being boring for me as my peers in the class tell me it is I am worried Russell Group Unis will not accept me because it is often described to be the "easier, less challenging math" and it won't show the extent of my academic abilities.

I don't know what to do. Please help!

I’m assuming you’re talking about Applications and Interpretations. No one can really tell you until you look at the universities you’d be interested in and the course specifically.
I’m in year 2 doing AI HL and I’m going on to physics and it’s worked out for me (unis like Manchester and UCL). The only complication is that they tend to be more picky with SL maths courses but considering those degrees aren’t maths intensive (from what I know, unlike physics and computer science etc).
In conclusion I’d say definitely not number 2 it could go very wrong and it will take more effort learning it that way than with a teacher as you would typically. Switching art doesn’t sound too good so see what universities are specifically saying and go from there. You might have to change art otherwise (I’d say that’s better than being disadvantaged doing AA course).
I am a year 12 IB student looking to do law or history at oxbridge/russell group as well. I am taking maths AI rather than AA despite getting a grade 9 in GCSE because I would personally prefer statistics. I don't think they will mind, as they do not ask for it so cannot penalise you for it, and statistics and real world analysis is probably more useful anyway if you are trying to stretch the applications of maths to the real world. Part of the IB subject choices are trying to maximise your score, so if you think you will be able to do well in art and in maths, then take the 6s and 7s to try and bump up your overall score, as that will probably be more impressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending