The Student Room Group

wrongfully failed university

hey guys. after 2nd year May exams, i had failed one exam and had to do august 2020 resits. i felt so confident about the exam but when the result came back in September, it said i failed. that i would have to take a gap year and return to uni in 2021. i spent days crying and feeling depressed. i emailed my tutors asking for a script viewing but they kept postponing because of being busy. the company that was sponsoring me to study in the UK (i'm an international student), even terminated my sponsorship. my visa will expire in 30 days and my flight is booked for next week.

today, when i finally did a 1:1 revision with my professor to see my mistakes, he realized he made a huge mistake in marking and that i indeed passed my exam. the board of examiners have been informed.

i am wondering what i should do in this situation. i have been wrongfully been deferred an academic year and i lost my scholarship. the company that was sponsoring me would not tolerate the gap year and have completely cut me off financially. do you think the university will compensate me for this? i will not be able to afford university on my own.
Original post by Sapphire x o
hey guys. after 2nd year May exams, i had failed one exam and had to do august 2020 resits. i felt so confident about the exam but when the result came back in September, it said i failed. that i would have to take a gap year and return to uni in 2021. i spent days crying and feeling depressed. i emailed my tutors asking for a script viewing but they kept postponing because of being busy. the company that was sponsoring me to study in the UK (i'm an international student), even terminated my sponsorship. my visa will expire in 30 days and my flight is booked for next week.

today, when i finally did a 1:1 revision with my professor to see my mistakes, he realized he made a huge mistake in marking and that i indeed passed my exam. the board of examiners have been informed.

i am wondering what i should do in this situation. i have been wrongfully been deferred an academic year and i lost my scholarship. the company that was sponsoring me would not tolerate the gap year and have completely cut me off financially. do you think the university will compensate me for this? i will not be able to afford university on my own.

Shocking and glad I read till the end.
You are going to have to see what the uni are prepared to do.
Its up to the uni to make it right.
They can:

Put you back on the year you missed, although your sponsor could have dropped you when you failed as they dont like resits.
It wouldnt be too late to catch up.

They can talk to your sponsor for you.

If not then I would take legal advice. Normally solicitors are reluctant to take these on but as they have admitted its their fault, then they should make good. You have lost:

Sponsorship.
Uni fees.
Suffered distress.
Suffered additional hardship.
Lost on job prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest