The Student Room Group

older students in HE access to midwifery

Hiya Im Jay, im 34 and im starting my journey to be a midwife i feel well out of my depth doing a university course but ive taken the plunge and gone for it i started today with learn direct.To get to the point is there any advice you can give me with the course pointers or tips as i haven't been at school for a while but have done my management Btec through work and loved it,good luck with all your courses and please feel free to have a chat :smile:jay
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello Jay! No advice as I'm in the same boat as you. But, I wanted to wish you the best of luck!!!
Original post by sweetpea34
Hiya Im Jay, im 34 and im starting my journey to be a midwife i feel well out of my depth doing a university course but ive taken the plunge and gone for it i started today with learn direct.To get to the point is there any advice you can give me with the course pointers or tips as i haven't been at school for a while but have done my management Btec through work and loved it,good luck with all your courses and please feel free to have a chat :smile:jay

Don't worry about your age okay as I was 26 when I took plunge for midwifing and managed to qualify at 29. Also don't feel out of depth either at university as you'll probably see lots of different age ranges amongst the whole intake.

I was in group with woman who was aged between 45 - 48 ( 6 in this age group range ) who did midwifing and they all passed as well in 2019.
Obviously its a difficult course but you'll manage it without a doubt,
Once you eventually get onto placement and get the first opportunity in delivering a baby under supervision its a wonderful feeling as you'll remember that . The real training & learning only start when you eventually get to start your course at university as this is when the real training starts as no matter what you read about it won't be same as actually doing it for real, obviously there's lots of different books you can read on midwifing but the main book you should get is Anatomy & Pyshiology of human body and try to get most upto date version to, there's chances of able to borrow these from local & universities libraries or buy a copy.
Reply 3
Original post by sweetpea34

Hi Jay, I too am a mature student (38) and have also taken the scary plunge to start an access course with Learn direct a week ago. I am doing Social Science & Health to lead on to a degree in Occupational Therapy. Although on a different course some modules, especially the first 4 are the same so it would be great to chat! Enjoying waking my brain up again but its tough to get it going haha! How are you finding things so far? Nette
Reply 4
Hi, same here but I’m 44 struggling with access course and been a long time since I studied, with learn direct I’d would read and reread course content and all the info they give you as some of the lectures marking are very picky (one didn’t like the colour font I’d used) but good luck xx
Reply 5
hello everyone thankyou so much ive had a couple of weeks of just being at a block it was nice to come on and see some encouagment, i needed to get xmas out the way woking in retail is really taking it toll on me im not enjoying it anymoe and wanted to make a difference i havent got children but i want to bing life into the world and feel like ive done some good i know the other side is a more compassionate side of it and can be heart breaking but i think i have that part inside me to be able to comfort.
i recently lost my nan to covid its put me back abit on the corse as i was dealing with all of that so im trying to get back into it

hope you are all well
:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending