The Student Room Group

5 lines over 47 line limit....Help!!

Although I meet the character limit, putting my statement into UCAS as resulted in me being over the line limit.
I can fix it easily by getting rid of the paragraphs and make it a big block of text but I don’t really want to do that as it’ll ruin the flow and structure a tad.
My history teacher in college however has said that paragraphing doesn’t matter.
I would greatly appreciate some advice as to whether paragraphs matter!! I don’t really want to cut anything out, I’ve got two more forms of review/feedback left before sending my application off next week but currently I don’t really want to cut anything out content wise.

Scroll to see replies

You should definitely have paragraphs - a big wall of text is very difficult to read. Really you should have line gaps between the paragraphs too
Original post by justjas33
Although I meet the character limit, putting my statement into UCAS as resulted in me being over the line limit.
I can fix it easily by getting rid of the paragraphs and make it a big block of text but I don’t really want to do that as it’ll ruin the flow and structure a tad.
My history teacher in college however has said that paragraphing doesn’t matter.
I would greatly appreciate some advice as to whether paragraphs matter!! I don’t really want to cut anything out, I’ve got two more forms of review/feedback left before sending my application off next week but currently I don’t really want to cut anything out content wise.

UCAS automatically cut paragraphs out, the end product is a massive chunk of text. Cut anything that you think you can use in interviews. If you dont have interviews, cut the less important stuff out.
Ehhh I took the paragraphs out of mine, I've heard mixed advice on whether UCAS remove it or not (some of my teachers and a couple webinars said they don't, but I've heard people say they do as well).
Personally, I'd remove the paragraphing if you're really certain that all your content is worth putting in there. But firstly check, is there any way you could reword some of your sentences, perhaps revise your phrasing to see if there's a more concise way of putting it?
If not, get rid of the blank lines in between I would say. But, make sure that if you do this, you put some linking words at the start of your paragraphs to maintain the flow.

Have you got any older siblings/ friends and family who you could ask what they did?
Original post by tipexmaster25
Ehhh I took the paragraphs out of mine, I've heard mixed advice on whether UCAS remove it or not (some of my teachers and a couple webinars said they don't, but I've heard people say they do as well).
Personally, I'd remove the paragraphing if you're really certain that all your content is worth putting in there. But firstly check, is there any way you could reword some of your sentences, perhaps revise your phrasing to see if there's a more concise way of putting it?
If not, get rid of the blank lines in between I would say. But, make sure that if you do this, you put some linking words at the start of your paragraphs to maintain the flow.

Have you got any older siblings/ friends and family who you could ask what they did?

Thank you for the tips!!
Unfortunately not, I’ll be the first person going to uni in my family :/
I’ll have another read later today and see, it’s a shame UCAS don’t clearly detail whether paragraphs are kept in or not because I’m sure that would help applicants out tonnes!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
UCAS automatically cut paragraphs out, the end product is a massive chunk of text. Cut anything that you think you can use in interviews. If you dont have interviews, cut the less important stuff out.

Oh! They do for sure?
Original post by Interrobang
You should definitely have paragraphs - a big wall of text is very difficult to read. Really you should have line gaps between the paragraphs too

Oh I do have line gaps!
Thanks for your insight....it’s difficult with the conflicting info as apparently UCAS automatically get rid of paragraphing? I’m not sure what to do :/
Oh I do have line gaps!
Thanks for your insight....it’s difficult with the conflicting info as apparently UCAS automatically get rid of paragraphing? I’m not sure what to do :/

It doesn't except for a couple of unis where it does because of how they view them. What you see on the preview is what 99.9% of the unis will see
you could try using a smaller handwriting if everything is important
Original post by SummerHaze106
you could try using a smaller handwriting if everything is important

the font and font size can change word count/lines??
It doesn't except for a couple of unis where it does because of how they view them. What you see on the preview is what 99.9% of the unis will see

ah right, thanks :smile: do you happen to know how you can find out which unis view them differently?

oh yes it definitely can, not dramatically though just about 2-3 lines depending on how much smaller you make it, it could be more.

No, when you copy it into UCAS they standardise it all to the same size, so font size makes no difference.
Original post by Interea
No, when you copy it into UCAS they standardise it all to the same size, so font size makes no difference.

Ah okay, thank you, I figured that was the case!
ah right, thanks :smile: do you happen to know how you can find out which unis view them differently?

I think one is Bristol/Bath. Regardless, it is not going to be all 5 of your choices.
Ah okay, thank you, I figured that was the case!

If you just start a new line for a new paragraph then it won't look like a block of text. The line prior to the new para just needs to be about half the length and a couple of words can be cut out if needed.
I think one is Bristol/Bath. Regardless, it is not going to be all 5 of your choices.

Fair enough. I’m actually applying to Bristol! Thanks again.
Original post by Muttley79
If you just start a new line for a new paragraph then it won't look like a block of text. The line prior to the new para just needs to be about half the length and a couple of words can be cut out if needed.

Yes that’s what I’ve been doing, but that’s why I’m 5 lines over the 47 line requirement!
Yes that’s what I’ve been doing, but that’s why I’m 5 lines over the 47 line requirement!

What have school suggested? How many paras do you have?
Original post by Muttley79
What have school suggested? How many paras do you have?

My college haven’t been very helpful unfortunately, it’s adding to my stress a bit aha. My history teacher did say that paragraphs don’t matter and I should make it just one block of text bar intro and conclusion but personally I feel like it ruins the flow?
I’ve got 5 paras including the introduction and conclusion
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending