The Student Room Group

How to not let past relationships affect potential / present ones?

I’ve come to the realisation that I’m genuinely emotionally damaged. I have MAJOR stresses when it comes to relationships with boys and in all honesty, I’ve had my fair share of boys who’ve treatedly. Not just one ex boyfriend though; multiple failed relationships. From cheating to my ex calling me a black ****’ and a Thai prositute’ ( (I’m mixed race lol) just because he was annoyed that I was a bit needy. One ex cheated on me with a best friend. One boy told me he didn’t want to date me because he just wanted sex out of me and didn’t want to hurt my feelings. I’ve had it ALL. How can I ever trust anyone again without pushing them away?? I feel like I may as well stay single.
Girl, I can relate to you on some level. you've been through some nasty **** and i'm not surprised you're still hurting. my anxiety has caused me to avoid relationships for a while, and i've only just started to beat my commitment issues after 'playing the field' for over two years. my advice: give yourself some space and time to work on loving yourself. you need to find a way to block all the negativity away and try and erase those unnecessary feelings that the guys have caused you. maybe start with the little things, like putting a cute but comfy outfit on a lazy day where you just cba to do your hair and makeup. eventually it will grow and you won't worry about what they used to say about you because, not only will you be aware that it's not true, you'll gain the self confidence you deserve! you don't deserve to be name called like that and i'm so so sorry for you.

although, if you don't wanna do that, then you can start forming a friendship with a guy you like. once you start realising that you trust him, try making subtle moves.

i wish you the best girlie! (hope this helped at least a little bit)
It actually annoys me so much when people claim that they have 'been hurt in the past'. We have all been hurt in the past. Don't use that as an excuse to be a **** to someone else.
Original post by tashkent46
It actually annoys me so much when people claim that they have 'been hurt in the past'. We have all been hurt in the past. Don't use that as an excuse to be a **** to someone else.

...is this about me? if anything, i was only trying to be helpful and to let the person know that they're not alone. i meant no harm.
Reply 4
Original post by patriciaw19
Girl, I can relate to you on some level. you've been through some nasty **** and i'm not surprised you're still hurting. my anxiety has caused me to avoid relationships for a while, and i've only just started to beat my commitment issues after 'playing the field' for over two years. my advice: give yourself some space and time to work on loving yourself. you need to find a way to block all the negativity away and try and erase those unnecessary feelings that the guys have caused you. maybe start with the little things, like putting a cute but comfy outfit on a lazy day where you just cba to do your hair and makeup. eventually it will grow and you won't worry about what they used to say about you because, not only will you be aware that it's not true, you'll gain the self confidence you deserve! you don't deserve to be name called like that and i'm so so sorry for you.

although, if you don't wanna do that, then you can start forming a friendship with a guy you like. once you start realising that you trust him, try making subtle moves.

i wish you the best girlie! (hope this helped at least a little bit)

Aww thank you so much for your kind words! Really means a lot to me...and no you’ve said absolutely nothing wrong not sure what the other user means ... but thank you so much! I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been hurt too
Original post by Anonymous
Aww thank you so much for your kind words! Really means a lot to me...and no you’ve said absolutely nothing wrong not sure what the other user means ... but thank you so much! I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been hurt too

i'm only trying to help! i think my issue was the fact that i felt pressured to get a rebound because my ex had already found a new girl just over a week after we broke up, but just found myself jumping from guy to guy, unable to stay in a committed relationship because i was scared to trust another person. but yeah, i guess it really is all about finding the right person and trusting them! once that's done, it's only downhill and easier :smile:
...is this about me? if anything, i was only trying to be helpful and to let the person know that they're not alone. i meant no harm.

No it wasn't about you. Didn't even read your post until you responded.
Original post by tashkent46
No it wasn't about you. Didn't even read your post until you responded.

oh haha that's a relief
oh haha that's a relief

Ha dw about it, it was about people in my past. I'm with someone else now but it still drives me mad when people say something like that because some people use it as an excuse to do crappy things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending