The Student Room Group

In Brexit news today...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
I agree with much of your post.
Although I voted leave and tend to favour more the brexit positions of the DUP & ERG.
Too many english brexiteers have continued deluding themselves with dreams of a relatively soft brexit and fantasies of a positive mutually beneficial relationship with the EU after the end of the transition period. Within the commons, cabinet and adult population as a whole.

I am against Brexit but I really don't understand why Brexiteers are complaining about a no-deal and are blaming remainers for the situation, they need to get a grip (sorry for the harsh comment).
Original post by 1st superstar
I mean that you can't vote for the UK to leave the EU but still expect the UK to receive benefits that they would receive if they had stayed in the EU, that's asking for both ways. Either we leave and not receive any remain benefits or we stay, the answer right now is to leave and not receive any remain benefits.

It isnt that simple. Being as so we have left now we dont have MEP's we can negotiate our own trade deals and have done so and the world hasn't blown up, the ports haven'tblocked up like the lib dems claimed that they would. So you can leave the EU in other ways other than a no deal exit, as has been proved

In any case, thats a strawman I'm not asking for all the benefits of remaining in the EU. I'm simply saying the people to blame if we end up with a no deal exit are the people who held all the power, this is the brexit Remainer parliamentarians have allowed to happen due to playing party politics with the national interest.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Burton Bridge
It isnt that simple. Being as so we have left now we dont have MEP's we can negotiate our own trade deals and have done so and the world hasn't blown up, the ports haven'tblocked up like the lib dems claimed that they would. So you can leave the EU in other ways other than a no deal exit, as has been proved

In any case, thats a strawman I'm not asking for all the benefits of remaining in the EU. I'm simply saying the people to blame if we end up with a no deal exit are the people who held all the power, this is the brexit Remainer parliamentarians have allowed to happen due to playing party politics with the national interest.

but you're asking for the benefits via wanting a deal so that's having it both ways.
I am against Brexit but I really don't understand why Brexiteers are complaining about a no-deal and are blaming remainers for the situation, they need to get a grip (sorry for the harsh comment).

It's the playground whiner element of english brexiteers and inept conservative politicians that have adopted the 'it's not fair' mentality as their own personal mantra.
They won't grow up or act mature enough to face reality without throwing a temper tantrum then automatically blaming someone/everyone else for anything brexit related that they don't like.

Of course there's no denying the utter fiasco that David Cameron unwittingly created, should have forseen and ordered contingency plans to adequately address.
Nor Theresa May's utter incompetence and the shambolic mess that both left for others to sort out.
Each of them were lousy examples of Conservative Party leaders when it came to EU discussions, before and after the EU referendum.
Mrs. Thatcher's ghost would probably have done less damage to the UKs credibility with the EU and amongst the leaders of European nations.
It's the playground whiner element of english brexiteers and inept conservative politicians that have adopted the 'it's not fair' mentality as their own personal mantra.
They won't grow up or act mature enough to face reality without throwing a temper tantrum then automatically blaming someone/everyone else for anything brexit related that they don't like.

Of course there's no denying the utter fiasco that David Cameron unwittingly created, should have forseen and ordered contingency plans to adequately address.
Nor Theresa May's utter incompetence and the shambolic mess that both left for others to sort out.
Each of them were lousy examples of Conservative Party leaders when it came to EU discussions, before and after the EU referendum.
Mrs. Thatcher's ghost would probably have done less damage to the UKs credibility with the EU and amongst the leaders of European nations.

I think that calling a referendum was a mistake.
Reply 105
Original post by imlikeahermit
I can understand that if you put democracy ahead of what's best for this country.

Cameron rigged what election?

Polling is selective?
Reply 106
I think that calling a referendum was a mistake.

Whats the counterfactual?

Civil war?
Reply 107

Are they....?
Original post by Quady
Are they....?

Read the thread...
Original post by Quady
Whats the counterfactual?

Civil war?

? but I still think that the results should be honoured and they have which is good.
I dont think you have much to worry about there, in fact I'd go further and say I dont think ANY national poll has ever put leave in front of renain? However every vote when membership of the EU is the sole subject, leave win! I mean Farage has litterally made a career of it it's the only elections the bloke ever won!

Agreed, it's just fact. The same reason is why brexit abs the tories in working class areas over proform the polls. I mean in Trumps case what happens to a right leaning voter who wants lower taxes, dont want to pay to a Obama care mk2 and is genuinely struggling. This person has a little more money in their pocket under trump, they know the guys a idoit but why are they going to say, I'm going to vote trump. To get hords of abuse from some knuckle dragging pseudo intellectuals.....
They wont they just keep stumb and vote in silence. Then
we get the same shocked look certain groups faces.... oh why are the pools wrong ... wake up FFS

Never looked at it from that angle, it was certainly a spoon of sugar for me to the bitter taste of voting Tory, the moderate Tory leader if JRM was leader I'd of never voted Tory... never I simply dont know what I'd of done tbh.

I dont agree he was an utter shambles, just he was a terrible leader. The anti semitism nonsense is testament to this, he needed to get his arse off the fence and start making the difficult decisions you need to make as a leader.

Wow what's going off here :biggrin: only joking mate :tongue:

This is where the agreements will stop the problem is the damage what you believe in, particularly the figure in your avatar. The damage she created by her harsh right wing politics and the decades of decay from middle right governments. The decay left from the destruction of proud working class towns like Sunderland feel alone, fir balance coupled with the new "liberal left" who are not labour people like me half of them dont vote labour at all but they seem to of convinced people like we speak of they are labour, and thus labour are the party of the middle class.... so the status quo to Sunderland isnt appealing.

Brexit is a journey, not a teleport. it's about freedom to do what you wish, not have everything desided for you, however unfortunately leave and remain has became almost religious like to some and I'm sorry to say mate, i think you are one of those people.

Farage has made a career out of exploiting vulnerable groups of angry people for his own ends.

Johnson certainly moved the party towards the centre. It completely squeezed the political spectrum so all Corbyn could was appeal to a few of his comrades on the radical left. As you've said, JRM exhibits all of the ideas you'd expect from a right wing conservative. I just don't see these in BJ. The Conservative party that I have previously voted for would not have a policy in place that breaks international law, nor would they continually be so soft on crime and law and order.

The anti-semitism was plastered all over the MSM and he did nothing to quell it, he didn't even deny it, he just brushed over it. Like you said, he had to step up, and he didn't.

Places like Sunderland were left behind because they failed to subscribe to Thatchers big dream of independence. They were stuck in their miners clubs, stuck in their ways, and instead of grabbing themselves by the *******s and getting themselves together they chose to sit and fester. It is entirely why the North is such a shithole in some areas compared to the south (I live there so I can say that), because you have now generations of people STILL blaming Thatcher because they've been brought up thinking nothing different. Areas like North Shields, Sunderland, some parts of Newcastle are in absolute despair, not through lack of funding but mostly through their own residents. I think they forget that while she put the final nail in, Labour closed more mines during the previous government. It is only now that the 'red wall' is starting to break, and I don't see that lasting. Blair had plenty of time to sort the north out, which he didn't. I see Sunderland's Brexit vote as an attempt to once again blame other people for their own problems.

Your final sentence is where I disagree. Brexit is about making this country poorer.
I agree with much of your post.
Although I voted leave and tend to favour more the brexit positions of the DUP & ERG.
Too many english brexiteers have continued deluding themselves with dreams of a relatively soft brexit and fantasies of a positive mutually beneficial relationship with the EU after the end of the transition period. Within the commons, cabinet and adult population as a whole.

I should add, the adult population was sold this dream by a campaign built on Utopian lies. They are simply expecting what was promised.
Original post by Quady
Polling is selective?

I didn't say that. Another poster labelled polling as 'inherently selective.' My point, is that polling is selective when you want it to be because you choose a poll that suits your argument. Unfortunately in the case of Brexit this isn't possible as not a single poll has shown a leave majority after the fact.

Sorry, but have you actually got anything to contribute to this thread, or are you more interested in just anally picking parts of other posters comments which do not suit you?
Also @DiddyDec they have managed to "walk you through" on how "remainer parliamentarians" are to blame for a no-deal Brexit.

Your comment would have more weight had remoaners not being given the chance to impose a soft Brexit upon us via the horrid May deal, they chose to play politics instead. Your essentially complaining that you picked a fight and got beaten.

Which Brexiteers are complaining about No Deal. Polling suggests that more than 70% of 2019 Conservative voters would accept a No Deal.
Original post by Rakas21
Your comment would have more weight had remoaners not being given the chance to impose a soft Brexit upon us via the horrid May deal, they chose to play politics instead. Your essentially complaining that you picked a fight and got beaten.

Tbh I don't see the point in having a soft brexit for me it's either hard Brexit or no Brexit.
Original post by Rakas21
Which Brexiteers are complaining about No Deal. Polling suggests that more than 70% of 2019 Conservative voters would accept a No Deal.

The some of the one's on here seem to be tbh not bothered if we get a deal or not. Shouldn't affect me.
Original post by Rakas21

Hold on here, you’re on about selective polling but your conveniently ignoring the fact that in what I believe to be the same poll, overall, only 38% of total respondents believe leaving without a deal would be acceptable, whereas 44% oppose leaving without a deal. That’s if we’re looking at the same poll.

Your right, polling is quite obviously selective. :wink:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

PRISOM

Tbh I don't see the point in having a soft brexit for me it's either hard Brexit or no Brexit.

Just because you dont, dont mean nobody does. Have a look at this video, life isnt black and white https://youtu.be/ixdn_8NFzzU

but you're asking for the benefits via wanting a deal so that's having it both ways.

No I'm not, not even slightly! By this respect are remainers who wish to "reform from within" wanting it both ways?

Sorry superstar on this one me duck, you are just wrong
Hold on here, you’re on about selective polling but your conveniently ignoring the fact that in what I believe to be the same poll, overall, only 38% of total respondents believe leaving without a deal would be acceptable, whereas 44% oppose leaving without a deal. That’s if we’re looking at the same poll.

Your right, polling is quite obviously selective. :wink:

Lol we simply are not ready for no deal yet.

Its that whiner element of Human behaviour that's made the most extreme version possible mate.
Lol we simply are not ready for no deal yet.

Its that whiner element of Human behaviour that's made the most extreme version possible mate.

Completely agree. We’re not ready for no deal, no was it the mandate given to Johnson by the general populous who voted in their droves in the GE for his deal.
Completely agree. We’re not ready for no deal, no was it the mandate given to Johnson by the general populous who voted in their droves in the GE for his deal.

Agreed, however that's not how parliamentary democracy works, is it? Which is exactly why remainer parliamentarians let the vast majority of the country down by only representing the extreme revokers and people voters, the vast majority of the country didn't want. If 2017-2019 remainer controlled parliament had matured and acted in the national interests, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Only one group responsible for allowing this to happen and one government making letting it happen, but .... at least we can hold them to account at the ballot box in 2024 for the actions they have actioned.

BTW hermit, I know we have our spats but I haven't got anything against you, and I dont dislike you, no political comments are personal from me - virtual handshake?
(edited 3 years ago)
Agreed, however that's not how parliamentary democracy works, is it? Which is exactly why remainer parliamentarians let the vast majority of the country down by only representing the extreme revokers and people voters, the vast majority of the country didn't want. If 2017-2019 remainer controlled parliament had matured and acted in the national interests, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Only one group responsible for allowing this to happen and one government making letting it happen, but .... at least we can hold them to account at the ballot box in 2024 for the actions they have actioned.

BTW hermit, I know we have our spats but I haven't got anything against you, and I dont dislike you, no political comments are personal from me - virtual handshake?

While I beg to differ about the remainer parliamentarians being the sole reason for the outcome that we find ourselves in I can agree to disagree. However, I would like your opinion on one matter. While it was the remainer parliamentarians who voted against May’s deal it was also the extreme leave side as well. However, some of the same leavers that voted against may’s deal voted for Johnson’s, despite this deal being much worse. Do you not think the the leave camp, apart from baring responsibility for this whole disaster, as well as Cameron, shoulder some of the blame for why this has taken so long?

I predict a Labour majority in 2024 if Starmer can get his act together.

Yes, of course. :five:
While I beg to differ about the remainer parliamentarians being the sole reason for the outcome that we find ourselves in I can agree to disagree.

Well sole responsibility isnt correct, I dont know of I said solely responsible, if I did I was wrong no one group is 100% responsible.

Anyway agree to differ is fine by me :smile:

However, I would like your opinion on one matter. While it was the remainer parliamentarians who voted against May’s deal it was also the extreme leave side as well. However, some of the same leavers that voted against may’s deal voted for Johnson’s, despite this deal being much worse. Do you not think the the leave camp, apart from baring responsibility for this whole disaster, as well as Cameron, shoulder some of the blame for why this has taken so long?

Ok well my point is the leave side really was powerless, Boris deal is worse in your eyes because you are a pretty hard core remainer, yes? So what could possibly be better than May's deal in your eyes apart from remaining a full member? I dont see how it could be much softer? Therefore why did remainers parliamentarians vote against it? Many labour MPs voiced their regrets of doing so since. Remainer parliamentarians are at least 95% responsible they held the power, allowed the referendum, made a terrible case to remain and shown intolerance and delusion beyond reasonable comprehension which fuelled the election of the Tory party.

However the government, which isnt full of remainer parliamentarians are responsible for what they are doing now, so remainer parliamentarians are almost solely responsible for creating brexit losing control of brexit and handing power (by ignorance/accident) to leavers, but leavers in the government are responsible for the pigs ear are making of the negotiations now, how on earth they can think the IMB is a good idea at a time when we should be reaching out to the rest of the world is beyond me and that isnt on remainer parliamentarians!

I predict a Labour majority in 2024 if Starmer can get his act together.

I wish I shared your optimism! Sadly without scotland a labour majority is almost impossible. Labour need to get back to representing the people, not playing silly indentity politics cuddling up to intolerant middle classes, under KS.

Unfortunately, I just see another London centric leader, I'm sure people like QE2 for example would be over the moon with him? People like that are our problem, it's peoples like him working people veiw as "labour people" nowadays. Sneering, middle class snobs calling them stupid and racist, trust me I've I've campaigned for labour in working class areas of my home town.

Yes, of course. :five:

Good stuff mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending