The Student Room Group

Mentioning a gap year in a personal statement

I’m currently taking a gap year and applying to uni for 2021.

The reason why I took a gap year is because I wanted to do a snowboarding instructor course for 4 months during the winter and a bunch of other stuff. Problem is it all got cancelled cause of the world situation.

How do I write that? I don’t want it to sound like I’m complaining.
Focus on skills.
I don't think you have to mention a gap year in your personal statement, especially this year. People have had to take sudden gap years for all sorts of personal reasons this year, whether it's regarding mental health, grievances, education, or finance. Therefore, unless you've somehow developed skills that directly contribute to the degree you're applying to, I wouldn't waste characters on it. I'm applying on a gap year too- I didn't mention it on my personal statement and I've just received an unconditional offer today, so it doesn't matter :smile:
Reply 3
dont mention that. i explained what im actually doing this year and asked my form tutor to mention my cancelled YINI program in my reference.
Reply 4
Original post by aconstanthamlet
I don't think you have to mention a gap year in your personal statement, especially this year. People have had to take sudden gap years for all sorts of personal reasons this year, whether it's regarding mental health, grievances, education, or finance. Therefore, unless you've somehow developed skills that directly contribute to the degree you're applying to, I wouldn't waste characters on it. I'm applying on a gap year too- I didn't mention it on my personal statement and I've just received an unconditional offer today, so it doesn't matter :smile:

Well done on receiving your offer! What did you apply for?
Original post by Addicted_
Well done on receiving your offer! What did you apply for?

Thanks! I applied for languages, so I initially thought that I’d have to detail plans for how I was going to keep up my language studies, but I just mentioned some university grammar that I did over lockdown alongside some wider reading and hoped it would be enough to prove that I’d continue to self study over the academic year...guess it worked! Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do amazingly, what are you applying for!
Reply 6
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Thanks! I applied for languages, so I initially thought that I’d have to detail plans for how I was going to keep up my language studies, but I just mentioned some university grammar that I did over lockdown alongside some wider reading and hoped it would be enough to prove that I’d continue to self study over the academic year...guess it worked! Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do amazingly, what are you applying for!

See I’m torn between graphic design and language (particularly Italian or Japanese). For alevel I did graphics (A*), 3D art (A*) and statistics (C) and I also did the epq (A*). I have a total of 172 ucas points but I don’t have a portfolio since I’m not allowed to use stuff I did last year in college. So I can apply for language with just a personal statement or make a portfolio and apply for graphics or what I’m trying to desperately figure out is how to do both...

The issue I had with graphics is that throughout the whole 2 years I feel like I haven’t learned anything. So I’m scared that if I take it in uni I won’t learn much as well and I will feel like I felt for the past 2 years.
Languages on the other hand, are bound to teach me something.

So I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I can handle the intensity of learning a language pretty much from scratch at uni level but it’s not like graphics deadlines are gonna be much easier either way.

So to sum up, I haven’t decided yet and I don’t want to limit myself as of yet. I have an idea on how to combine the two to have one personal statement for graphics and language and I’m planning to make my portfolio based around language so it’s not sus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending