The Student Room Group

if i start seeing a 2nd doctor, will the 1st one find out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
The point isnt to fix it though but to allow the patient to be able to function until they can get it seen to... Obviously i did not mean to get the GP to fix a toothache but it is only the GP who can authorise the dispensation of painkillers. This is hardly the patients fault now is it?

I fail to see the problem with you helping a patient in pain here? Someone is in pain, why is it such a dreadful inconvenience that you alleviate said problem?
However, this is a somewhat troubling attitude for a doctor isnt it? To view patients as nothing but an inconvenience "demanding" that they perform their job and help them? True there are other places you can go in some instances but this is hardly universal and someone who has a particularlty bad toothache can hardly be faulted for going to their local surgery as opposed to waiting to eventually see a dentist who may or may not be able to help.
I mean i can only speak from personal experience on this count but having chronic toothache is an unpleasant experience and the only medication that it responds to requires a script and as i said, in this case it was the GP who noted what the problem was and not the Dentist. Would you kindly elucidate on how visiting a GP in this instance was "time wasting", "demanding" and "abusing"?

I'm not entirely sure why there is the need for you to view patients/me (i'm not sure if youre making this a personal thing or not here?) as nothing but time wasters inconveniencing you for asking that you do your job from their point of view?

Equally i'm not sure what voting has to do with this. Free or not there is still the question of wait times for dental surgery in many instances and it is still far from unreasonable to go to a doctor for a prescription that, by definition, only they can give.

I can only apologise that not all patients coming into your practice arent having heart attacks or have half of their face dissolved by a tumor. But calling your patients "time wasters" because they dont want to be in pain is somewhat unbecoming, no? Now if we are talking about people demanding morphine for a stubbed toe, antibiotics for a sniffle or a an MRI because they bumped their head on a doorframe you'd have a point but from your response to this example i can only ask why you view any patient who isnt dying as not but a time waster? And why you felt the need to make this unnecessarily personal?

My post was not a reply to your specific situation - I don't know what has gone on with your toothache and I very purposefully don't wish to know. It was a general post about how the system works and how the majority of people can obtain the right care in the most efficient manner. I am not going to "elucidate" on anything because I don't know your situation so it wouldn't be appropriate to comment.

I very clearly said most toothache responds to over the counter medications. You don't need to see a GP to obtain these - the clue is in the name. I also said that I do advise on pain relief.

It should have been clear from my post that my use of the word "you" this was not in the personal sense i.e. I don't mean "you" in particular. I meant people in general.

I'm not really sure why you've blown up like this quite frankly. Chill out - not everything is about you.
Reply 61
Original post by Democracy
My post was not a reply to your specific situation - I don't know what has gone on with your toothache and I very purposefully don't wish to know. It was a general post about how the system works and how the majority of people can obtain the right care in the most efficient manner. I am not going to "elucidate" on anything because I don't know your situation so it wouldn't be appropriate to comment.

My err "situation" is irrelevant, it just happened to be vaguely related to the example. I was asking you to comment on the broader example, which was quite clear. Why you feel unable to explain yourself in thinking that patients have no business seeking help from a doctor is all i asked.
If you need it repeating though, why should someone with dental pain not be allowed to go to the GP to have this medical issue addressed? Without being belittled by you at any rate.

I very clearly said most toothache responds to over the counter medications. You don't need to see a GP to obtain these - the clue is in the name. I also said that I do advise on pain relief.

Indeed you did, so what? Quite clearly this is about the ones it doesnt respond to hence why i said prescription - clues in the name that you need a doctor to obtain this :wink:.
Yes, you did say you 'advise' on pain relief... you then proceeded to clarify that by calling them demanding time wasters who abuse the NHS... several times no less.

It should have been clear from my post that my use of the word "you" this was not in the personal sense i.e. I don't mean "you" in particular. I meant people in general.

I'm not really sure why you've blown up like this quite frankly. Chill out - not everything is about you.

One was merely seeking clarity on what you meant, jesus.
As for this amusing last line, i can assure you i am quite, err, "chilled" :lol: I am merely curious as to why you take such a lowly view on patients and feel the need to be objectionable in your replies. Or make bizarre and unwarranted little jabs like this hilarious one :lol:. As far as people 'blowing up' goes i think you should probably look in the mirror before getting so prickly over nothing, the fact you seem to have gotten quite so offended at my asking why you think people have no business asking their doctor for help with a medical problem is rather weird to be frank.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Ciel.
sadly, a lot of nhs doctors have that sort of attitude, which is precisely why i don't bother with them anymore. they see most of their patients as nothing but drama queens and hypochondriacs. such big egos, sadly no knowledge to back it up, in most cases. their attitude towards mental health is even worse.

A pity really, doctors usually seem quite nice from my experience. Alas, 'Democracy's bedside manner could do with some polishing it seems.
True, and people wonder why the UK has a mental health problem with the above type of opinions on patients as nothing but 'irritating time wasters' who should go somewhere else.
Reply 63
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Yikes :eek:... I'd be worried about paying all that money only for them to refuse to prescribe me the medication I want. Could they do that? Or do private psychiatrists give you the medication you ask for because of how much money you've spent on seeing them?

it's not that he refused to prescribe it. he just doesn't want me on a higher dose, not even on short term basis. either way it's an issue.
i mean, nah they wouldn't just give you 'anything' you ask for without a valid reason. but most are much more reasonable than nhs doctors. e.g. you can easily get sleeping pills from them, or benzos (within reason.)
Original post by Napp
A pity really, doctors usually seem quite nice from my experience. Alas, 'Democracy's bedside manner could do with some polishing it seems.
True, and people wonder why the UK has a mental health problem with the above type of opinions on patients as nothing but 'irritating time wasters' who should go somewhere else.

my experiences are very different, haha. maybe you were lucky.
Original post by Napp
My err "situation" is irrelevant, it just happened to be vaguely related to the example. I was asking you to comment on the broader example, which was quite clear. Why you feel unable to explain yourself in thinking that patients have no business seeking help from a doctor is all i asked.
If you need it repeating though, why should someone with dental pain not be allowed to go to the GP to have this medical issue addressed? Without being belittled by you at any rate.

Indeed you did, so what? Quite clearly this is about the ones it doesnt respond to hence why i said prescription - clues in the name that you need a doctor to obtain this :wink:.
Yes, you did say you 'advise' on pain relief... you then proceeded to clarify that by calling them demanding time wasters who abuse the NHS... several times no less.

One was merely seeking clarity on what you meant, jesus.
As for this amusing last line, i can assure you i am quite, err, "chilled" :lol: I am merely curious as to why you take such a lowly view on patients and feel the need to be objectionable in your replies. Or make bizarre and unwarranted little jabs like this hilarious one :lol:. As far as people 'blowing up' goes i think you should probably look in the mirror before getting so prickly over nothing, the fact you seem to have gotten quite so offended at my asking why you think people have no business asking their doctor for help with a medical problem is rather weird to be frank.

:stupid:

What I'm saying is backed up by the NHS links I've already posted which very clearly say "do not see your GP" for toothache. They don't say "do not see your GP for toothache unless it's really really bad or if you can't get a dentist apppointment for a few days". They simply say "do not see your GP", because it's a waste of everyone's time - most of all the patient's who will still be sore and untreated but may have a script which a) they could have either got OTC or b) could have got from the dentist.

This is not my personal opinion - it's what's written for all to see and I think the overwhelming majority of doctors would agree with me that it's always more helpful to wait and see a dentist in the first instance. But whatever, you know best.

You seem intent on twisting my words and passing off your misinterpretations as actual quotations by me so this is the last post I am making to you on this subject. Grow up.
This thread has now just turned into people taking things out of context lol.

Quick Reply

Latest