The Student Room Group

2 A-Levels, should i do an Access to HE?

I am going to be leaving college with two A-Levels and EPQ, i'm predicted to get 112 tarif points (A in Art, B in Psych, A in EPQ). I plan to apply to University as normal for a BSc (Hons) in sociology and psychology however, I am concerned that two will not be enough and I might not get my predicted grades.

I've looked into it and I could do an Access to HE which will significantly help. Anyone who's had experience of this, do you think think this is a good idea?
Original post by Toomanycolours
I am going to be leaving college with two A-Levels and EPQ, i'm predicted to get 112 tarif points (A in Art, B in Psych, A in EPQ). I plan to apply to University as normal for a BSc (Hons) in sociology and psychology however, I am concerned that two will not be enough and I might not get my predicted grades.

I've looked into it and I could do an Access to HE which will significantly help. Anyone who's had experience of this, do you think think this is a good idea?

You need 3.
The cheapest method is to start self studying one now and then finish it in a gap.
Your EPQ can count as half of one.
If your grades arent good then an access course is fine. Do the social sciences one.
Original post by 999tigger
You need 3.
The cheapest method is to start self studying one now and then finish it in a gap.
Your EPQ can count as half of one.
If your grades arent good then an access course is fine. Do the social sciences one.

I know, I quit the third one half way through for personal reasons and the college wouldn't let me do the AS exam. I've thought about doing it to make it up but i'm not sure how i'd go about it.
Reply 3
I know, I quit the third one half way through for personal reasons and the college wouldn't let me do the AS exam. I've thought about doing it to make it up but i'm not sure how i'd go about it.

What subject is it? With the internet you can self teach a lot these days, so you'd just have to work out the logistics of finding an exam centre for next summer (and potentially doing coursework/practicals/oral exams, depending on the subject).

Are you Y12 or 13?

If you have money you could just buy an online course and sit as a private student. Youd need c £450-£800 for a non science A level.

What about looking for a Foundation year?

There are a number of options.

Sitting the subject you were taking as a private candidate away from your school. You would need to self teach yourself the syllabus. You could take that next summer with your exam That will only be practical if you are not taking Science subjects or are not in Wales. The AS is still being used in Wales and classes as 40% of the overall mark.

You could do another A level fast tracked in a local college. Some do allow this.

You could go and do a foundation year. Be aware that this is costly. It is a full year's student fees and accommodation and counts as your bonus year. If you take this option and decide a particular university course isnt for you then you would have to finance yourself for year 1 as you can only have 4 years student funding and the foundation year is classed as that.

You could take an access course but you would normally need to be 19 for that.

You might find a few universities will accept you with 2 A levels but they will be few and far between.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending