The Student Room Group

Education with english and drama degree

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a degree course similar to the 'Education with english and drama' course offered at Cambridge. I achieved ABB at A Level, so i'm obviously not an oxbridge student, but I have fallen in love with this course and cant seem to find anything like it. Preferably i'd love a uni with a great theatre where i can throw myself into as many pieces and learn super practically alongside my degree.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hey @teagan7

We have a variety of education degrees which you may find interesting: https://www.bishopg.ac.uk/course-subjects/education

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you've got any questions or queries :smile:
- Tommy
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by teagan7
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a degree course similar to the 'Education with english and drama' course offered at Cambridge. I achieved ABB at A Level, so i'm obviously not an oxbridge student, but I have fallen in love with this course and cant seem to find anything like it. Preferably i'd love a uni with a great theatre where i can throw myself into as many pieces and learn super practically alongside my degree.

Hi. If you're prepared to go abroad, then joint honours English and Drama at Trinity College Dublin, or single honours Drama and Theatre Studies. The Samuel Beckett Theatre at Trinity is a great learning ground for all aspects of theatre.
Original post by teagan7
Hello,

https://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=DUBDM-DRTH-2F09

Deadline is Feb 1st via CAO.ie
Hi you could attend Trinity College Dublin for joint honours English and Drama, or single honours Drama and Theatre Studies. The Samuel Beckett Theatre there is a great learning environment for all things theatre related. I have submitted the link in an earlier post.
Reply 5
Original post by teagan7
Hello,

Hi my dd has applied to 5 Uni’s (currently year 13) to do English & drama (as loves both!) she spent a lot of time looking through the modules offered (as some excited her more than others) her favourite as it stands is probably Exeter.. followed by Lancaster & Warwick then Sussex. Has conditional from all these... the lowest offer coming from Sussex. Hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by Scuagaire
Hi. If you're prepared to go abroad, then joint honours English and Drama at Trinity College Dublin, or single honours Drama and Theatre Studies. The Samuel Beckett Theatre at Trinity is a great learning ground for all aspects of theatre.

this looks great !!!! thank you
Original post by teagan7
this looks great !!!! thank you

It's worth noting that Trinity use a points system rather than A level grades, with the points for English & Drama being 530 (roughly A*AA-A*A*A), whereas your ABB equates to 418 so quite short - could be worth it as an aspirational choice though.

Also, I don't believe SFE offer loans so you would have to pay for it all yourself and, as the UK has left the EU, the tuition fees alone are now pretty high.

Have you considered Liverpool? They have a very flexible major/minor or 50/50 system in the region of AAB-ABB (and often much lower on results day), and I've heard Liverpool Hope is good for Drama.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by aliviapearl
It's worth noting that Trinity use a points system rather than A level grades, with the points for English & Drama being 530 (roughly A*AA-A*A*A), whereas your ABB equates to 418 so quite short - could be worth it as an aspirational choice though.

Also, I don't believe SFE offer loans so you would have to pay for it all yourself and, as the UK has left the EU, the tuition fees alone are now pretty high.

Have you considered Liverpool? They have a very flexible major/minor or 50/50 system in the region of AAB-ABB (and often much lower on results day), and I've heard Liverpool Hope is good for Drama.

Good luck :smile:

Oh dear, ha, thanks for letting me know. Probably wont be applying for there then, particularly if there are no loans. What does it mean to have an 'aspirational' choice ? I've been looking into Liverpool and looks good. Thank you very much.
Original post by teagan7
Oh dear, ha, thanks for letting me know. Probably wont be applying for there then, particularly if there are no loans. What does it mean to have an 'aspirational' choice ? I've been looking into Liverpool and looks good. Thank you very much.

No problem. "Aspirational" - above what you're predicted, or in your case, have achieved (you could probably chance AAB for instance if your personal statement is strong). Hope you find somewhere that suits you :smile:
Original post by teagan7

There is a common travel area between the UK and Ireland that precedes EU membership and which still pertains post Brexit, so an Irish student for example is eligible for a student loan in the UK for a course there. Might still be worth checking out what you might be entitled to. Fees in Republic of Ireland are 3000 euro, but accommodation in Dublin is pretty expensive. CAO.ie application deadline is Feb 1st, no personal statement etc required, so it wouldn't hurt to make an application if Trinity was of interest.
Reply 11
There is a common travel area between the UK and Ireland that precedes EU membership and which still pertains post Brexit, so an Irish student for example is eligible for a student loan in the UK for a course there. Might still be worth checking out what you might be entitled to. Fees in Republic of Ireland are 3000 euro, but accommodation in Dublin is pretty expensive. CAO.ie application deadline is Feb 1st, no personal statement etc required, so it wouldn't hurt to make an application if Trinity was of interest.

aha thank you. I want to apply but i'm finding it really confusing. Do i just apply through CAO & not UCAS ? Also would i be considered an EU applicant.
Original post by teagan7
aha thank you. I want to apply but i'm finding it really confusing. Do i just apply through CAO & not UCAS ? Also would i be considered an EU applicant.

You apply through CAO.ie. Must register by the 1st Feb. You can make up to ten level 8 choices from any college courses in the Republic of Ireland in rank order (or just put down joint honours English and Drama at Trinity and single honours Drama in order of preference. Tariff points needed depends on demand for the course in any given year, so can vary quite a bit. If you need any more help let me know. I found applying through UCAS equally as confusing/daunting. It's all about what you're familiar with. Afaik you will qualify forhome fee status, just as Irish students have now in the UK.
Reply 13
You apply through CAO.ie. Must register by the 1st Feb. You can make up to ten level 8 choices from any college courses in the Republic of Ireland in rank order (or just put down joint honours English and Drama at Trinity and single honours Drama in order of preference. Tariff points needed depends on demand for the course in any given year, so can vary quite a bit. If you need any more help let me know. I found applying through UCAS equally as confusing/daunting. It's all about what you're familiar with. Afaik you will qualify forhome fee status, just as Irish students have now in the UK.

Hey, thank you for all your help. I tried to start my application through CAO but it came up with an error message after clicking proceed with application. This was the error message:

Mandatory field missing. HPP_BILLING_CITY not present in request. Please contact the merchant.

Maybe this is a technical issue , i'm not sure. Would you know anything about this ??

Thanks
Original post by teagan7
Hey, thank you for all your help. I tried to start my application through CAO but it came up with an error message after clicking proceed with application. This was the error message:

Mandatory field missing. HPP_BILLING_CITY not present in request. Please contact the merchant.

Maybe this is a technical issue , i'm not sure. Would you know anything about this ??

Thanks

Sounds technical to be honest. Maybe give them a ring. All you need to do 8s register by Feb 1st. You can add your courses after that if needs be
Original post by teagan7

Thanks

Looks like you were possibly completing the payment and there may have been no data supplied in the billing city field, which looks like it is required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending