The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for History, with ABB at AS and the same predicted for A2.

However I'm a little unsure about my university choices, I have down already:

Leicester
Queen Marys
Southampton

But I'm unsure about the other two, obviously one of them should be a safe choice, but I'm unsure whether to aim above my weight on the other one. Any suggestions on what I should look at, and the quality my current choices?
Reply 181
red lobster51
I'm applying for History, with ABB at AS and the same predicted for A2.

However I'm a little unsure about my university choices, I have down already:

Leicester
Queen Marys
Southampton

But I'm unsure about the other two, obviously one of them should be a safe choice, but I'm unsure whether to aim above my weight on the other one. Any suggestions on what I should look at, and the quality my current choices?
Check out the History forum - there's more information there -

The really important thing is to go for the courses that interest you.
Reply 182
silk192
most unis do require you having studied the subject at a level, but if the ones you looked at said it would be ok, then i guess it would....but you would have had an advantage if you studied it at a level...
This is rubbish - for a subject like Russian, which is not that often available at A level, many unis will offer beginner's courses. What you do need to be able to do is demonstrate a general aptitude for languages, which does not necessarily mean having AS/A2s in them, although clearly that helps.
Minerva
This is rubbish - for a subject like Russian, which is not that often available at A level, many unis will offer beginner's courses. What you do need to be able to do is demonstrate a general aptitude for languages, which does not necessarily mean having AS/A2s in them, although clearly that helps.

thank you! that's a relief :smile:. I'm doing a basic Russian course at the uni near me, would mentioning that in my ps be good? Aside from that I don't really have anything though :frown:
Reply 184
crushoftheyear
thank you! that's a relief :smile:. I'm doing a basic Russian course at the uni near me, would mentioning that in my ps be good? Aside from that I don't really have anything though :frown:
Yes, it would be useful to mention it, and if your referee can comment positively on how you are getting on with it, so much the better!
Minerva
Yes, it would be useful to mention it, and if your referee can comment positively on how you are getting on with it, so much the better!

ok, i'll do that. so you reckon I still have a chance even though I don't have the language a-level??
Reply 186
I think you need to choose your courses carefully, and your best bet is probably to email admissions tutors to ask what they advise. Language courses are generally much less competitive to get into than, say, History or English, so anything you can offer to show interest and aptitude will help.
Reply 187
Bristol Maths & Econ
CASS Banking & Finance
LSE- Managemetn science
UCL - Stats
warwick - Accounting & finance
personal statement maths, economics mainly, bits of finance and line on operational research. post a2 ABBB
path to failure?
Reply 188
xen101
Bristol Maths & Econ
CASS Banking & Finance
LSE- Managemetn science
UCL - Stats
warwick - Accounting & finance
personal statement maths, economics mainly, bits of finance and line on operational research. post a2 ABBB
path to failure?
Not necessarily, but pushing your luck with some of these, certainly. Read the original post if you seriously want an answer.
Reply 189
Right, currently applying on my gap year: got A-Maths, A-Further Maths, A-Econ and B-Hist (2 ums from the A i was predicted and thought I had in the bag, don't ask...) At A2 and an A for politics at AS thinking about applying for PPE at:
Oxford- AAA
Warwick- AAB
Manchester- AAB
and Philosophy and Economics at:
LSE- AAA
Nottingham-AAA/AABB
How overambitious am I being? I need answers, no matter how candid/bluntly honest, because it is really weighing on my mind. Have read shedloads of relevant books and written what I am told is quite a good PS.
Reply 190
AleksH
Right, currently applying on my gap year: got A-Maths, A-Further Maths, A-Econ and B-Hist (2 ums from the A i was predicted and thought I had in the bag, don't ask...) At A2 and an A for politics at AS thinking about applying for PPE at:
Oxford- AAA
Warwick- AAB
Manchester- AAB
and Philosophy and Economics at:
LSE- AAA
Nottingham-AAA/AABB
How overambitious am I being? I need answers, no matter how candid/bluntly honest, because it is really weighing on my mind. Have read shedloads of relevant books and written what I am told is quite a good PS.

In my opinion you want atleast 1 uni in your list that you would be really surprised if they did not make you an ooffer. (esp. as you are on a GAP year). And I am not sure which that is for you!
Reply 191
Ok i need an insurance uni JUST incase i dont meet my predictions of ABB... i am more or less guarenteed to get these but just as a precaution u no...incase the exams go HORRIBLY WRONG!
i wanted to do english and history joint hons. tbh i dont know anywhere that offers a place for ABC etc if you want to do history and/or english. :frown: Any suggestions?
I think I've been reading some posts quite cynically actually. In a way I've been looking at some and thinking that they're not being ambitious enough, but then remembered that I personally wouldn't be all that concerned about taking a year out where others might not be, or, might not even have the money to do so.
Reply 193
jj1284
Ok i need an insurance uni JUST incase i dont meet my predictions of ABB... i am more or less guarenteed to get these but just as a precaution u no...incase the exams go HORRIBLY WRONG!
i wanted to do english and history joint hons. tbh i dont know anywhere that offers a place for ABC etc if you want to do history and/or english. :frown: Any suggestions?

You should also be looking to include lower offer unis not just as an insurance offer in case you do badly in your exams but also in case your application is not as strong as you think and you don't get the offers.
If you want to find out what unis make lower offers you should do what I did for econ when I cereated TAELT 2009 and look up all the unis on UCAS Course Search for history and/or english. It should not take more than a couple of hours and then you will be fully informed.
Reply 194
i agree with the 2nd post...don't be stupid about it. if you have (its in IB grades because i'm taking the IB) a 38 IB don't apply only to Oxford (minimum 38) Cambridge (38), Durham (some courses 38-37), LSE (37) and St. Andrews (36-37).

But instead do something like Oxford and LSE (as the risky ones), Bath (36) and Manchester (35) (as the reliable ones) and something like Birmingham (34) as your safety.
Reply 195
Hi there.

I would really appreciate any advice. I am doing my As and Alevels in one year. Predicted AAA for German As/AL, Economics AS/AL, Psychology AS/AL and a C for IGCSE Mathematics.

I have a BA and a BA Honours degree from a South African University, but I am not sure how to convert those marks to the UK system of 'firsts' etc.

I am applying for LLB Law/European law at:

Nottingham: AAA
Cambridge: AAA
Reading: AAB
Kent: ABB

And am still trying to decide between Durham, Bristol and Leeds for my last choice.

How do you think my chances are?

Reply 196
-light-
Hi there.

I would really appreciate any advice. I am doing my As and Alevels in one year. Predicted AAA for German As/AL, Economics AS/AL, Psychology AS/AL and a C for IGCSE Mathematics.

I have a BA and a BA Honours degree from a South African University, but I am not sure how to convert those marks to the UK system of 'firsts' etc.

I am applying for LLB Law/European law at:

Nottingham: AAA
Cambridge: AAA
Reading: AAB
Kent: ABB

And am still trying to decide between Durham, Bristol and Leeds for my last choice.

How do you think my chances are?

Your profile is so unusual that you should contact the unis you are interested in direct, as only they can advise whether your application would be of interest to them.
Reply 197
Minerva
Your profile is so unusual that you should contact the unis you are interested in direct, as only they can advise whether your application would be of interest to them.

And if you were to disregard my previous degrees and were only to look at my predicted grades?
Reply 198
-light-
And if you were to disregard my previous degrees and were only to look at my predicted grades?
At face value, Cambridge and Nottingham would be your higher risk choices, but for Law the LNAT is as important as A2 grades if the universities concerned use it (check websites) and your PS will need to be strong as well.
Reply 199
Paulwhy
In my opinion you want atleast 1 uni in your list that you would be really surprised if they did not make you an ooffer. (esp. as you are on a GAP year). And I am not sure which that is for you!

-Taking that into consideration, I am not just being silly with oxford/lse? I recognise that these are extremely competitive courses, and that my B will not look good. Equally, that I had better substitute one of these with a more accessible course but should I substitute them both? (My choices were pretty much made before I got my results, back when I thought an A in history was a sure thing -I had only dropped about 15 UMS in AS level history)

Latest

Trending

Trending