The Student Room Group

BTEC grades by units.

I take the BTEC Applied Science Level 3 National Extended Certificate and I’m confused as to how my final grade will be given to me once i’ve done my exams? Will I be given just one grade or grades by each unit? A lot of uni’s list their BTEC requirements as, for example, DDM so are they asking for each grade from each unit?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sooki2003
I take the BTEC Applied Science Level 3 National Extended Certificate and I’m confused as to how my final grade will be given to me once i’ve done my exams? Will I be given just one grade or grades by each unit? A lot of uni’s list their BTEC requirements as, for example, DDM so are they asking for each grade from each unit?

For each module you are given a grade either P M or D.
Different qualifications have different numbers of modules. The most common being the extended diploma which can have 18 units.
In year 1 you do 9 and get the equivalent of a diploma with a 2 grade final result. This is obtained by adding up all the points from the 9 modules and then comparing the total against a table which will give you a 2 grade final result. That will vary from PP to D*D*.

In year 2 you do the other 9 and the scores of all 18 indivdual modules are aggreagted and then compared v a table, to give a final total from PPP to D*D*D*. So that 3 letter grade is based on the aggregate score of all your units, theres no need to get dustracted by the individual unit score except to the extent the more D you get, then the more points, which in turn will make your aggregate score higher, which results in a higher overall grade.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
For each module you are given a grade either P M or D.
Different qualifications have different numbers of modules. The most common being the extended diploma which can have 18 units.
In year 1 you do 9 and get the equivalent of a diploma with a 2 grade final result. This is obtained by adding up all the points from the 9 modules and then comparing the total against a table which will give you a 2 grade final result. That will vary from PP to D*D*.

In year 2 you do the other 9 and the scores of all 18 indivdual modules are aggreagted and then compared v a table, to give a final total from PPP to D*D*D*. So that 3 letter grade is based on the aggregate score of all your units, theres no need to get dustracted by the individual unit score except to the extent the more D you get, then the more points, which in turn will make your aggregate score higher, which results in a higher overall grade.

Thank you this definitely made it a lot clearer! However due to the pandemic we’ve had to cut off a unit/module or two so this will definitely be affecting the number of grades I get in the end😣
Original post by sooki2003
Thank you this definitely made it a lot clearer! However due to the pandemic we’ve had to cut off a unit/module or two so this will definitely be affecting the number of grades I get in the end😣

Then you should look at how they managed it last year or look at a pro rata grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending