Original post by Vapordave
What?
I'm so confused. What happened?

The Model House of Commons is no more :frown:
Too late. Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply 4
Original post by ibotu020
Don’t delete this please

Mod note: As you are aware, TSR’s Model House of Commons has now been closed. You can find information and a few frequently asked questions to explain the closure in this thread. To support the community, prevent misinformation and help manage feedback efficiently, we’re limiting the conversation about the closure onsite. We’re requesting that all in-depth questions and feedback is posted directly in the Ask the Community Staff forum.

To the Mod
At least give people the chance to say goodbye, rather than just delete it 1 hour after announcement
To the Mod
At least give people the chance to say goodbye, rather than just delete it 1 hour after announcement

Don’t delete this please

Mod note: As you are aware, TSR’s Model House of Commons has now been closed. You can find information and a few frequently asked questions to explain the closure in this thread. To support the community, prevent misinformation and help manage feedback efficiently, we’re limiting the conversation about the closure onsite. We’re requesting that all in-depth questions and feedback is posted directly in the Ask the Community Staff forum.

I second this. The amount of time that was poured into that forum for you to just close it within an hour of the announcement is ridiculous.
Reply 6
Yeah I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this thread. People have been on it for years and you suddenly shut it down within an hour of announcing it. I’m not challenging the decision but it’s a bit hasty
Original post by Bailey14
The Model House of Commons is no more :frown:

I didn't even get to see the announcement...
As long as this doesn't become an extended exercise in lambasting TSR I suspect they will allow it to stay open.

I shall post my lament from the now deleted thread:

Sad solemn notes and crates of newly drawn stout,
the usual symptoms when a life goes out.
But the extinction this time being seven times the most.
The music held no echo and the tears drowned our toast.
Sorrow and bereavement, life has no meaning now: silence is master.
Laughter and song bowed for gone went our great captain to some more hospitable inn
where cant and hypocrisy can no longer embarrass him.

I have not been active for a long time, but to the many of you I have known for as long as a decade, I wish you good luck and all the best with whatever you channel your newly found free time into. There are many names I could mention who should be remembered on this, the day it all ends - but I won't. I will simply say that so many of TSR's best users were at some point active participants here, and to them and everyone else I raise a glass.
To the Mod

Original post by imlikeahermit
I second this. The amount of time that was poured into that forum for you to just close it within an hour of the announcement is ridiculous.

Heya - just to let you know we're leaving this thread open for now, but it will only be able to remain if people are able to follow the advice in the mod note and the community guidelines.

On the pace of the announcement following by the closure - I think you've raised a completely fair point. I've added an FAQ on why this was the approach, plus opened the announcement thread for discussion here.
Original post by Vapordave
I didn't even get to see the announcement...

The announcement over here is what was posted in MHOC this morning.
Original post by BlinkyBill
The announcement over here is what was posted in MHOC this morning.

Okay, thanks.
Reply 12
I used to mod that place (way too intensely lol) and was Speaker for a while. Look there's a reason we always used to call it the Wendy House, it IS a hellsite in there - but it's an institution! One of TSR's grandest traditions which is about as old as TSR itself. It's the only reason I even bothered to use TSR, become a mod, become an SL, etc. I learned so much about political philosophy from some genuinely interesting thinkers (especially considering their youth), that it influenced my outlook on life even to this day.

People pour their heart and soul into that game, which is why it gets so intense. But I can only imagine how deeply upset I would have been if I was still an active player and I suddenly found out that the whole thing is just closed with no warning. Was there even an attempt to work with the community and help forge a compromise? It's basically hands free for the CT if you just say you won't do dupe checks anymore, the rest could have been run by a sort of Speakership panel of willing participants.

This is the most 2020 thing to happen since 2020. Typing that, I think how its young people would have actually found some peace in having that game to play in the most lonely and boring era of our lives. I think had I been 17 in this era it would have been one of my first places to go just for a bit of community and escapism in this horrible time.

That it was handed in the way it has been is so deeply disrespectful it defies words. It's been a very long time since I took the game seriously but even now I feel miffed enough to be taking the time out of my job to type this.
Original post by Jarred
I used to mod that place (way too intensely lol) and was Speaker for a while. Look there's a reason we always used to call it the Wendy House, it IS a hellsite in there - but it's an institution! One of TSR's grandest traditions which is about as old as TSR itself. It's the only reason I even bothered to use TSR, become a mod, become an SL, etc. I learned so much about political philosophy from some genuinely interesting thinkers (especially considering their youth), that it influenced my outlook on life even to this day.

People pour their heart and soul into that game, which is why it gets so intense. But I can only imagine how deeply upset I would have been if I was still an active player and I suddenly found out that the whole thing is just closed with no warning. Was there even an attempt to work with the community and help forge a compromise? It's basically hands free for the CT if you just say you won't do dupe checks anymore, the rest could have been run by a sort of Speakership panel of willing participants.

This is the most 2020 thing to happen since 2020. Typing that, I think how its young people would have actually found some peace in having that game to play in the most lonely and boring era of our lives. I think had I been 17 in this era it would have been one of my first places to go just for a bit of community and escapism in this horrible time.

That it was handed in the way it has been is so deeply disrespectful it defies words. It's been a very long time since I took the game seriously but even now I feel miffed enough to be taking the time out of my job to type this.

Hear hear, this decision was not made with any consultation with the players, who log in every day to interact and contribute to discussions. Some have been on here for years and MHoC holds a lot of sentimental value for them, and has even kept their mental health in check. Personally I have been playing this ever since I joined TSR in 2017. I know many members have been on here for even longer.
Original post by Jarred

I couldn't agree with this more. I have spent the last 6 months with nothing to do, and the MHoC has been one of the few genuinely productive ways I have used my time. I don't like to imagine what I would've been doing without it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Jarred

Whilst I can’t say I always had a positive experience when I have been involved (it’s been over 3 years since I joined on my 17th birthday, flipping heck) it’s something that definitely did get me into some sort of escapist community online that wasn’t directly related to gaming. (Also partly responsible for my stronger interest in politics now alongside other places I’m involved with because of people I met here.) As much as I’d try not to acknowledge it, it did play a part of my very bored year 12 days and (you can take this as an unfortunately, idk) it has formed a part of what I am now.
Original post by Jarred

Heya,

Thanks for your feedback. Just to confirm, as per the mod note, the best place to share this would have been in the AtCS forum as we've requested (and as others have done). I'm reminding now because we don't want to have to close/remove this thread.

I understand where you're coming from with some of your feedback, though your point on 'it's basically hands free for the CT' potentially shows a lack of understanding of what goes on behind the scenes for MHOC. There's no reason you should know/understand this, but just to confirm, it's absolutely not 'hands free'.

Beyond that, I have already agreed elsewhere that it would have been preferable to allow more notice of the closure. There have been countless attempts over the years to improve MHOC, as I've mentioned in the announcement. Unfortunately, it's due to the same people whose negative and toxic behaviour has played a large role in the closure of the forums, that we've also had to make the closure so swiftly. It's also worthwhile mentioning that there's obviously moderation and issues we deal with behind the scenes that you'd not have any knowledge of, which factored into this approach. I completely agree that it's not fair for those people who did the right thing in MHOC that it was taken away so quickly. If we felt there were any other way to protect and safeguard the community during this closure we would have taken it.

I understand the disappointment at this situation. If you'd like to chat about it anymore, please pop into AtCS.
Original post by Jarred

Just as a factual point, as final Speaker of the MHoC, I wasn’t made aware of the closure until 20 minutes before it was announced publicly. So this wasn’t a decision that was taken in tandem with the Speakership team.

I think it’s a shame that this decision was made, but ultimately it’s the CS who run this place; it’s their site, and they get to make the decisions about what should and shouldn’t be on it.
I was a member of the MHofC for a long time until earlier this year. The level of activity and numbers of TSR members voting in the MHofC general elections had reduced over the last two or three years, and so I understand why it should end. Happy memories though.
This is very sad. Lots of fun was had in MHoC so it is a shame to see it disappear so suddenly.

Latest

Trending

Trending