The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What do you think about each of your subjects?
Are you planning on dropping one of them?
they are two very different subjects.

medicine takes about 7(?) years to complete.
accountancy takes about 5-7(?) years to complete (incl. acca/aca qualifications)

and thats where the similarities end.
Reply 3
uthinkilltellu
they are two very different subjects.

medicine takes about 7(?) years to complete.
accountancy takes about 5-7(?) years to complete (incl. acca/aca qualifications)

and thats where the similarities end.

Interesting, but the OP asked about actuarial. :smile:

Depending on circumstances, it can take between 3 and 7 years to qualify. More often than not it's done in 5. You need to like the statistics type of maths. If you enjoy it, its'a great career, reputed to be one of the most recession-proof careers going in the finance world (maybe even in any industry) since people are always dying and people always want insurance. There are other types of actuary, but pensions and insurance make up the majority. Have a look here for info
Reply 4
JayAyy
What do you think about each of your subjects?
Are you planning on dropping one of them?

all the subjects are going ok biology is givin me a bit of trouble but thats cos of the teacher - and i am hoping not to drop any subjects
Reply 5
Heya,

I've been training to be an actuary for several years now and recently joined "The Actuarial Placement Company" - check out our website for more details:
www.actuarial-placements.co.uk

A career as an actuary is very different to medicine. Within the actuarial fields, you have 5 fundamental areas:
1. Life Insurance
2. Pensions
3. General Insurance
4. Investments
5. Health Care

These are all fundamentally different as are the different fields within medicine.

The key questions to ask yourself concern:
1. Hours willing to work
2. Level of interaction with others (and How much you love maths and computers!)
3. Financial rewards.
4. When you want to graduate.
5. Willingness to work and study at the same time
6. Location of work (doctors can get shipped all over the place in the short term).
7. Pace of life & security - doctors appear to have a more hectic life style with more uncertainty over future location and type of work though will always have a job.

It takes on average around 4-5 years for someone to qualify as an actuary, and slightly less I'd say if you're 100% committed to the exams. Upon qualification, you'd be looking at around a base salary of £55,000.

Note that anything to do with insurance involves actuaries. Actuaries were involved in assessing the insurance requirements of the Beijing Olympic Games. They will also be involved in anaysing the costs of the recent hurricanes in the USA. The new GSM satellite system to be built in Europe will use actuaries to assess the risks of the satellites failing to orbit Earth. Such examples are far from the usual ones mortality examples people give.

Hope this helps

Sham
Reply 6
Something more substantial should get posted soon (once it's been checked I guess!!), but quickly wanted to say

it's tough to know what you want till you speak to people in each field and do some work experience in each. I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry at A-Level....work is completely different to academics!! And what you thought you liked can change once your in the thick of things. I'd definitely try and sort out some work experience through your careers officer.

Sham
Reply 7
smashraf80
Something more substantial should get posted soon (once it's been checked I guess!!), but quickly wanted to say

it's tough to know what you want till you speak to people in each field and do some work experience in each. I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry at A-Level....work is completely different to academics!! And what you thought you liked can change once your in the thick of things. I'd definitely try and sort out some work experience through your careers officer.

Sham

i was unable to take furthermaths because my school is extremly select about it as its a grammer school.
Ive done work experiance in actuary firm - sunlife - got taught about term assurance and i did find it interesting.
What uni did you go to? what did you study?

Latest

Trending

Trending