The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You have to leave home some day.

Now is a good time as any, when you've not been forced to.
i've just started uni, well i've been here over a week actually, and i'm feeling a bit homesick too. i'm going home this weekend because most of my flatmates are so it will be dead quiet here. but i'm sort of scared that once i'm home again, i won't want to come back to uni. but i would hate myself forever if i dropped out (not that i have a problem with people who drop out, but for me i know that without uni i won't make anything of myself). i've noticed a pattern...in the mornings, afternoons, daytime in general, i'm absolutely fine and love being at uni. then when the evening kicks in i start to feel a bit homesick. when that kicks in, i either go chat to my flatmates, who i thankfully get on really well with, or i go sit in my room and feel down. if i choose the first option, the homesickness just dissolves. unfortunately today i've picked the second option, so i'm a bit down...but i know that in the morning i'll bounce right back.
Reply 22
It's totally normal to feel like this, and many other students will be feeling the same even though they may not come across like it. I too considered dropping out during the first term/christmas break of the 1st year but am so glad I stayed on. I got a top degree, made some awesome friends, made some good contacts and am making awesome money through "non-traditional" work. My advice is to keep pre active such as playing computer games, going on the internet or playing pool with friends or whatever. Remember, there's decent breaks in the Christmas and Easter, as well as about a 4 month break in the summer!
My advice is give it until at least christmas, then you can say you had a good go at it. What appealed about your uni? Try to get out and about. If you dont give it a chance you will really regret it. You have to leave home at some point, doing it this way means you still hve your familys support-when i moved out on my own independant of uni, that was it, i never could go back.
lol bad use of english.
Reply 25
Dont worry, you will get used to it, i'm worried whether i am going to feel the same :frown:
Reply 26
PM sent!
I realise I imagined myself being someone Im not.
:hugs:

I'm feeling the same atm, so I know what your going through. I'm only 70 miles / a little over 2 hours from home, but I'm still homesick like hell. I've thought about dropping out, and reapplying somewhere closer to home (That thought is still in my mind tbh). But I've just told myself "no, you're not going to do that".

You've worked hard to get where you are, make the most of it. I know its hard, but just try to last another week at least before you even think of going home.
I'm sure last night's result didn't help either?
Reply 30
just hang in there mate, the terms go quick.
Reply 31
I moved up to my halls on Friday, and for the first few days I felt completely terrible; homesick and depressed and like I just wanted to go and jump on the first train home. It has got a bit better in the last couple of days though - its true what everyone is saying, talk to people to keep your mind of it and try and avoid sitting in your room dwelling on it (...like I'm doing now). I'm trying to keep myself busy in the days by going to the Freshers Fair and signing up for my modules.
I also met a girl on my course who is in a similar state to me, we went to the cinema together one night - I'd reccommend doing something like this as it brought a sense of normality to the whole thing!

I still wish I'd applied closer to home (I'm from South London going to uni in Leeds) and I'm even doubting my actual course. I wish I'd planned a gap year to give myself time to consider what I really want.
However, my mums coming up next weekend to see me, and I'm going to stick it out at least a couple of months, and then see how I feel.
Reply 32
It doesnt take you long to combat homesickness, you'll get into your group, and then you'll forget all the homesickness issue.

As for the ringing home, your parents miss you more than you miss them generally.
Reply 33
It's weird, I've not really felt homesick since I moved to uni, but just today (after getting back home after the weekend) I have started to feel a little homesick. I know it'll pass and I'll have forgotten about it by tomorrow but I just found it strange that I feel like this after being here fore more than a month now. Do you just get days when you miss home every now and then?
Reply 34
I felt like this at the beginning i live an hour and hald away from uni not to far and it is fairly cheap to go home. You have to give it time, most people would suggest until christmas. Try and join groups so you are out a couple of nights a week, and then mayb go out a night a week if you like that sort of thing, or watch tv, keep active so your mind cannot wonder to think about home to much :smile: thats what worked for me. Go home every 3 - 4 weeks if it is fairly expenive, book them in advance so you have something to look forward to and focus on. And if your parents or whoever are willing get them to meet you for a day in between somwhere between uni and home? Or ask friends to come up sometimes. Speak to them everyday? download skype then its and buy a microphine and then for 2pound a month you can ring landlines for as long as you want, emails and letters are also good. I write to my mum once a week just to tell her things, and she does the same thing for me it is just something nice to look forward to. Anyway sorry for ramblings. Just remember there are many many people in the same situation as you. :smile: Your not alone even though it feels like it at the time. Good luck and hope things turn out for the best.
Reply 35
david89
It's weird, I've not really felt homesick since I moved to uni, but just today (after getting back home after the weekend) I have started to feel a little homesick. I know it'll pass and I'll have forgotten about it by tomorrow but I just found it strange that I feel like this after being here fore more than a month now. Do you just get days when you miss home every now and then?

I'm in my third year at uni and have just come back from a weekend at home and now feel homesick. I feel isolated at uni after being at home and just being able to jump in car and go wherever I want, and do whatever I want.
So yes, I certainly still get days even now where I miss home!
Reply 36
Yep, everyone gets homesick, and it works both ways, your parents/families miss you as well.

As for me, I try and go home for the weekend every 3 weeks (normally Friday evening through to Monday morning, as Im only half an hour away from home), sometimes more frequently (but then it's just overnight) if I need to.

I find it's the weekends where you feel most homesick as you've got Uni to distract you during the week. But in terms of the evenings, I go to the cinema most Wednesdays and have a society meeting each Thursday.

During the other weekends Im normally on St John Ambulance duty on Merseyside, so I dont get too homesick
Reply 37
Well it's passed, I thought it would it was just weird how all of a sudden I missed home quite a bit and now I don't. Although I'm bound to feel that was occasionally.
Reply 38
Bgriffin
Today is my second day at uni, my first full day as I moved in yesterday and I am really missing home. I cried myself to sleep last night. At the moment I could feel like I could just drop out now and have no regrets. I've said all these weeks I can't wait to go, now I can't wait till christmas so I can go home.

I don't really want to drop out in an ideal world as I would disappoint myself and my family would be disappointed...I wouldn't mind so much if I were in a university closer to home so I could go home on the weekends or something but I can't here when the train fare is like 60 pound for a return.

u culd probably get a coach for something cheaper if u r desperate visit home for a weekend :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending