The Student Room Group

sad about moving out and starting uni

i’m going to miss my fam so much. i’m 2 hrs away. i don’t want this to mean i will hardly ever see them again
It's normal to feel like that... especially if it's your first time living away from the parental units lol.

Give Uni a shot... there's a good chance you'll have a blast and enjoy your freedom. On the other hand, if you really find you're homesick, 2 hours isn't that far away... you could go home, say every weekend (or however frequent it suits you). You can get very cheap coach or train tickets if you book them early enough in advance, so it won't even break the bank. Just bring something to do (e.g. a book, your phone etc.) and you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
i’m going to miss my fam so much. i’m 2 hrs away. i don’t want this to mean i will hardly ever see them again

You’ll miss them, but part of growing up (and going to uni) is about becoming independent, and becoming your own person. New friends, new hobbies, new skills, working things out in life.

When you’re a fully grown “proper” adult (whenever that feeling may come!) you’ll likely live in your own place, work your own job, which will possibly not be just next door from your family.

2 hours isn’t really too far, I don’t think? Plus with technology these days video calls, FaceTime and all that are very easy and accessible. I actually have found that I speak to my dad a lot more now (at uni) than I did before I stared uni :smile:

There are still holidays (summer especially is nice and long) and possibly some weekends when you can see them, and you’ll appreciate them a whole lot more :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bl0bf1sh
You’ll miss them, but part of growing up (and going to uni) is about becoming independent, and becoming your own person. New friends, new hobbies, new skills, working things out in life.

When you’re a fully grown “proper” adult (whenever that feeling may come!) you’ll likely live in your own place, work your own job, which will possibly not be just next door from your family.

2 hours isn’t really too far, I don’t think? Plus with technology these days video calls, FaceTime and all that are very easy and accessible. I actually have found that I speak to my dad a lot more now (at uni) than I did before I stared uni :smile:

There are still holidays (summer especially is nice and long) and possibly some weekends when you can see them, and you’ll appreciate them a whole lot more :smile:

so I’m not leaving them forever and I can see them quite often?
Reply 4
What about during the week if I don’t have any lectures / in-person commitments at uni?
Original post by Anonymous
What about during the week if I don’t have any lectures / in-person commitments at uni?

Uni is not like boarding school, you can come and go as often as you want to. You may find with your timetable you could have an afternoon off for example. Just be mindful of your assignment deadlines and make sure you get your studies done first.

Try to allow yourself some time to settle in and get to know your flatmates. Join in with some clubs or societies to keep busy so you won't feel so homesick

Good luck and enjoy the uni experience!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending