The Student Room Group

University

I have just started uni, and had freshers week. It was fun, but I did feel quite homesick, im not that far from home so i came back on the weekend. Also I did feel really out of my comfort zone. And now I'm reluctant to go back. I'm nervous for uni because of my law course, what of im not good enough? I want to give up before I've started. What do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I have just started uni, and had freshers week. It was fun, but I did feel quite homesick, im not that far from home so i came back on the weekend. Also I did feel really out of my comfort zone. And now I'm reluctant to go back. I'm nervous for uni because of my law course, what of im not good enough? I want to give up before I've started. What do I do?

You should not have come home. You are good enough, go back and do your best and you will be fine!

Hi there,

Feling homesick is completely normal, and it’s something almost everyone will go through when first moving away.
However, if you don’t spend some time at uni, you will never make friends there and always feel like you don’t belong. Nobody makes close friends instantly, but the more people you meet and the more time you spend with them, the closer you will become and soon you will feel at home in both places! This doesn’t mean cutting out your home friends and family, just make sure to schedule time for both places, particularly at the beginning. That can mean video calling people from home if the commute is too long, but trust me (as someone who would have to get on a plane to see many of my friends) this can be just as good as meeting in person!
Having a friend group who are going through the same (or similar) things to you can also really help with imposter syndrome. Having people to talk to you can empathise with, who might also share their tips and tricks as you learn to navigate uni life, is so invaluable. So really put effort into speaking to your classmates and others around campus.
Also, being nervous about how hard a course might be is probably actually a good sign. Of course, nobody should be so anxious it affects their health or wellbeing, but knowing what you signed up for isn’t easy can ensure you don’t make ‘silly’ mistakes like missing deadlines, leaving all the work to the last minute, or skipping important classes. Unfortunately, in my 7 years at uni I have seen a few too many people have a lot of confidence because “I didn’t revise until the night before my school exams and that worked out fine!” only to realise that in higher education, often higher effort is necessary. Usually this gets easier after a few weeks, as you realise that if you can pass the first exam, you can pass the next.
If imposter syndrome is something you are really struggling with continuously, you could see if your university offers mental health services that help with this for example counselling. Having a professional give you some tips and teach you methods to cope with these problems can be really transformative!

Best of luck with the next few weeks!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Hi there, sorry to hear that you are homesick and worried.

Well done for getting out of your comfort zone, it does take quite a bit of courage and I'm glad you had fun. It is totally fine and normal to go home for the weekend, and you can visit home as much as you need to. Just take it easy. :smile:

No need to feel nervous to head back to University. For me, first year's fresher's week really drained my energy as I am an introvert, but after freshers, most people get on with their courses and explore different hobbies. I would say things do calm down a bit.

I also study law, as long as you give your best go at the seminar readings and worksheets, attend lectures then you will be perfectly fine. I recall being quite worried about attending seminars, as my A levels were not related to law at all. But other students are all at the same starting point (well maybe A level Law students get a bit of a head start, but essentially, you are taught from the beginning, and since you got into the University, you deserve to be here). Occasionally, it can be a bit overwhelming, but if you maintain a good work life balance, then a law degree can be quite enjoyable. When stuff get stressful, speaking to your friends and family always helps.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Anon,

You were accepted on to your course, so they clearly thought that you were good enough or that you had the potential to succeed, so don't let doubt get the better of you!

University can be scary. There are all these people. All of these people who you don't know and it's easy to feel a bit lost in the crowd, but the other first years will also be trying to make sense of it all and hopefully after some time, you will have got used to university life and you will know a few people. Hopefully soon, you will know your way round the university and also be enjoying your course :smile:

It's great that you can go home when you want to, but do try to give yourself time to get used to your new environment.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi,
I just firstly want to say well done for getting into uni that's an amazing achievement!!

Remember, moving into university is a challenging adjustment for anyone, and you have only just moved in, so you will still be in that overwhelming phase at the start where everything feels new. This is completely normal, and even though you might not see it, most people will feel the same way. It's great that you enjoyed Freshers' Week; this was something I struggled with because of how homesick I felt at the time. I also went home most weekends and felt reluctant to go back at first. However, as time went on, and I got into a routine and met new people, things got much better. I am now in my third year, and I still go home most weekends because it allows me to refresh and reset; it feels like a nice reward at the end of a busy week. I know most people say you shouldn't go back home, but honestly, everyone is different, and you just need to do whatever works for you to make things feel less daunting. Maybe every time you have to leave home to return to university, you could organise a date for your next trip back home so that you always have that to look forward to.

Also, remember you're in a place of education where you're surrounded by people who want to help you progress in your studies. Struggling with your course is something they have seen so many times before and universities are set up so you can get help whenever you need it by just sending a simple email to your supervisor, lecturers, seminar leaders or even your head of department. You are most certainly good enough, it will be challenging but it will be challenging for everyone. The difference between someone who gets top grades and someone who doesn't is the ability to ask for help whenever you need it. That's all you need to be able to do.

You've absolutely got this, I promise you. Just relax, and be patient and things will start to fall into place :smile:

Hi there

Sorry to hear you feel like this. Moving away from home and starting something new, such as your law degree, can be quite nerve racking. I’m sure lots of people in your position and course are feeling the same! How have you found the last two weeks?

best wishes
Emily
Reply 7
Give it time, you said it was fun. That's a positive. Yup it takes time. Once friendships are formed you'll settle in.

Hi there
Wow good for you for taking law! That’s gonna be amazing :smile: uni is very out of everyone comfort zone, especially freshers it’s very full on and can really take it out of you. I remember when I first went home, I was so tempted just to stay home. You will be good enough, everyone’s in the same boat.
Tell me how it goes
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending