The Student Room Group

Scared to death I am HIV+

I'm a 23 year old straight female.

I am scared that I might have contracted HIV after unprotected oral sex. It was a one time encounter at a party while drunk. We kissed and performed unprotected oral sex on each other. He fingered me as well. He didn't ejaculate into my mouth but I did swallow some pre-***. We finished by mutually masturbating. I also want to note, I asked if he was "clean" and he said yes, and the last time he had sex was around a month before me with a girl from a dating app. He's a white, British straight male, doesn't inject drugs, as far as I'm aware. The same applies to me.

I went to the clinic a week later to get tested as I started to feel itchy down there, I was very anxious that I ended up with herpes or something, even though I didn't have any blisters. The nurse told me she thinks I have a yeast infection so I took treatment for it and it pretty much went away, although I'm still a bit itchy sometimes. I tested negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Fast forward 3 weeks (a month after potential exposure) I did a home STI test including a finger prick test for HIV, which all came back negative. However the last few days I've been really achy, with a slight headache and random body pains.

I know that there's a window period of around 6 weeks for the test I took, so I will take another after that point. But I'm scared to death I've contracted HIV, it's making me miserable and I can't focus on my work. I feel so stupid.

What do you think my chances of being HIV+ are?

Thank you.
Practically 0
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Practically 0

I really hope so :frown:

Thank you for your input anyway, Anon.
I really hope so :frown:

Thank you for your input anyway, Anon.

oral sex is pretty low risk. obviously do the text again (I'm pretty sure you have to wait for about 3-4 months after sex before checking) but I'm sure it will be fine. good luck
Go to the GP
Reply 5
Original post by hootdoot04
Go to the GP

I will be getting tested again asap, I've ordered another test. I'm just wondering what my chances are and if my fears are justified... However I'm absolutely terrified of the GP and won't go there. I haven't been since 2016 after some bad experiences when trying to get mental health support. I don't even think I re-registered after returning home from uni.

But I will be back and forth the sex health clinic of course. Thanks hootdoot04.
I will be getting tested again asap, I've ordered another test. I'm just wondering what my chances are and if my fears are justified... However I'm absolutely terrified of the GP and won't go there. I haven't been since 2016 after some bad experiences when trying to get mental health support. I don't even think I re-registered after returning home from uni.

But I will be back and forth the sex health clinic of course. Thanks hootdoot04.

Hope you’re ok xx
You don't need to re-register unless you registered with your home GP again when you went home.
Reply 8
Original post by hootdoot04
Hope you’re ok xx

Thank you xx

I will try and update when I know for sure.
Reply 9
You don't need to re-register unless you registered with your home GP again when you went home.

Yeah I rang them a while back and they told me I was registered at the city I went to uni in, I came back in 2017 so that shows how long ago I last went...

Quick Reply

Latest