The Student Room Group

should i work during the pandemic?

I recently got a job after graduating 5 months ago, it's a lab job so i have to be onsite, can't do any work from home.

I really like the look of this job and im worried if i turn it down i won't be able to find another one for a while, it took many applications to finally land a job i like, and i don't have much prior experience in the lab which is holding me back and has led to many rejections, therefore i think this job would be a great opportunity to gain some experience.

However im considering waiting it out until the covid situation calms down as i feel maybe it's selfish to start working now and commuting to work when the covid situation is really bad, i would be able to wait for a few more months to find another job and hopefully the situation would have calmed down but i'd rather not have to go through more job applications and interviews again.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Mate take this, don’t let such a big opportunity go! Covid’s been unleashed onto the world now, so you could be waiting a very long time for things to go ‘back to normal’. Just do it, get that experience
I would think a lab is probably one of the safer places to work. The main danger of Covid could be in the journey there, can you walk or cycle to the lab?
Reply 3
How is it selfish to start working now?

If you mean because you are coming home to people, gloves and masks on public transport if that's how you travel, distance within the house, strip off and shower when you get home. There's people in closer contact with Covid who are commuting and working. Don't pass up this opportunity (and congrats on getting it!).
Reply 4
Original post by Lukeey!
Mate take this, don’t let such a big opportunity go! Covid’s been unleashed onto the world now, so you could be waiting a very long time for things to go ‘back to normal’. Just do it, get that experience

That's what i'm thinking, who knows where things will go back to normal :/

Thanks for your response :smile:
Original post by barnetlad
I would think a lab is probably one of the safer places to work. The main danger of Covid could be in the journey there, can you walk or cycle to the lab?

Yes sorry I should have said, it's the journey their that is concerning me, i'm not worried about catching it myself but i am worried about spreading it to other people. Unfortunately it's quite a while away so i have to take train.
Original post by Surnia
How is it selfish to start working now?

If you mean because you are coming home to people, gloves and masks on public transport if that's how you travel, distance within the house, strip off and shower when you get home. There's people in closer contact with Covid who are commuting and working. Don't pass up this opportunity (and congrats on getting it!).

Yes I was concerned because I am living with my family right now and I am concerned about spreading it to them, i was thinking gloves and mask should be fine and then just shower home when i arrive. Thank you for your response! :smile: I think I will take it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending