The Student Room Group

A level private candidates 2021

Hey guys,

With all the spike in the covid cases I’m worried schools will have to shut and exams will be cancelled again.

I took my a-levels in 2019 and was due to resit them in 2020. As I was a private candidate back then I didn’t receive a grade for Biology as my centre were not ‘confident’ with my evidence ( even though they hadn’t asked for it or seen it). Private candidates had no justice last year at all. My universities told me I need the grade in Biology and deferred my offer to 2021 sept.

I have now taken another gap year out to resit my Biology exam, however with all this news I’m so worried I’ll have to be put in the same position again. Gavin Williamson does not care about the minority of us Private Candidates. I tried to fight my case last year but nothing was done.

Is there anyone else in my position ? What are your plans ?
Reply 1
Original post by laallalalla
Hey guys,

With all the spike in the covid cases I’m worried schools will have to shut and exams will be cancelled again.

I took my a-levels in 2019 and was due to resit them in 2020. As I was a private candidate back then I didn’t receive a grade for Biology as my centre were not ‘confident’ with my evidence ( even though they hadn’t asked for it or seen it). Private candidates had no justice last year at all. My universities told me I need the grade in Biology and deferred my offer to 2021 sept.

I have now taken another gap year out to resit my Biology exam, however with all this news I’m so worried I’ll have to be put in the same position again. Gavin Williamson does not care about the minority of us Private Candidates. I tried to fight my case last year but nothing was done.

Is there anyone else in my position ? What are your plans ?

I was in exactly the same position but I ended up taking the exams in the Autumn instead of the coming summer exams. However a friend of mine is taking one in the summer and she's talking to the centre to try and find a way they can feel like they have enough evidence to predict her a grade if exams get cancelled ( do mocks with the year 13s etc). Is that an option for you?
Reply 2
Original post by Hihey
I was in exactly the same position but I ended up taking the exams in the Autumn instead of the coming summer exams. However a friend of mine is taking one in the summer and she's talking to the centre to try and find a way they can feel like they have enough evidence to predict her a grade if exams get cancelled ( do mocks with the year 13s etc). Is that an option for you?

I was with this centre last year and I was compelled to apply to them again because they are the only centre near me who do my board for biology.
They were not willing to be of any help last year so I am not expecting a lot this year either.
I’m going to see what the announcement says tmrw and think something because I’m tired at this rate.
When I called the department of education last year they said the most I can do is take a year out again. R they gonna tell me to do that again ?! 😓
I am in the same position after receiving bad CAG last year I decided to resit in summer 2021. I have no idea how private candidates will be awarded with grades but I’m extremely worried. I have tutoring only once a week and apart from exam practice questions and my revision notes I don’t have evidence that I could use to provide a grade to show I’ve improved even though I believe I was under graded last year and can perform better. I wish there were more attention to private candidates. I doubt my previous school would provide me with grades, while they let me take exams privately they didn’t allow me to attend school to redo year 13 so I study by myself. I hope everything works out for you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by molly123454
I am in the same position after receiving bad CAG last year I decided to resit in summer 2021. I have no idea how private candidates will be awarded with grades but I’m extremely worried. I have tutoring only once a week and apart from exam practice questions and my revision notes I don’t have evidence that I could use to provide a grade to show I’ve improved even though I believe I was under graded last year and can perform better. I wish there were more attention to private candidates. I doubt my previous school would provide me with grades, while they let me take exams privately they didn’t allow me to attend school to redo year 13 so I study by myself. I hope everything works out for you :smile:

With regards to evidence I think past papers or questions you have done and that have been marked should be fine. As long as it shows progress and can back your grade your tutor gives you.

I’m just waiting on what they say next week. I have a back up apprenticeship I am looking at if this doesn’t pull through but it’s annoying because I’ve taken 2 years out to try and get this grade and nothing has been done for us.

Best wishes to you love x
For all private candidates this year, Lewis Goodall on twitter is running a story on what's going on with our grades and all the government incompetence surrounding him . Would recommend DMing him if you have twitter.
I've studied for a level maths this year as a private candidate. I was due to sit the exams in June of this year. I don't think the outlook is great for us. I mean, query whether the exam boards will even produce a paper for summer 2021 for us to sit?
Original post by Calum1234567
I've studied for a level maths this year as a private candidate. I was due to sit the exams in June of this year. I don't think the outlook is great for us. I mean, query whether the exam boards will even produce a paper for summer 2021 for us to sit?

Doubt it, that would require work. I'd recommend joining the effort to lobby government to do something about private candidates this year.

Quick Reply

Latest