The Student Room Group

what would interest a class of year 8s?

me and my friend have got our first buddying session with our year 8 class next week
it's basically a thing where 6th formers sign up to 'have a class' of the littler kids and the run their tutor time once a week
so it's our first one next week so i thought it would be a good idea to have something where they could get to know us and we could get to know them

any fun ideas??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I was in Year 8 I liked anything to do with boobs.
Reply 2
Chocolate, bright colours, cartoons?:biggrin:
Reply 3
MSB

it's a girls school :rolleyes:
Reply 4
MSB

I concur.

if boobs are out of the question though, try just giving them smarties or lollies or something. just say 'were *whoever you are* and we are going to be helping out in your form, hi:biggrin: ', then give the sweeties, and youre well in.
Try the game where you're sitting in a circle, and you start by saying "your name the animal beginning with the same letter as your name" e.g. I would be Lou the Lemur.

Then it goes round the circle, but each person has to say all of the ones before them as well, until the person at the other end of the circle has to repeat them all!
Reply 6
sofee
it's a girls school :rolleyes:

Oh.

Err.

Willies? Or does it not work like that?
Reply 7
you should do the putting a condom on a banana race. i loved that in year 8
Ooh we do this as prefects.

Usually we play hangman of all things, oh and heads down thumbs up.
Reply 9
In my school they all wear fake tan and far too much make up!
bring some make up in haha?
Reply 10
When i did this last year we did a dragons den type thing.

The class would split in groups and try to come up with ideas etc

They seemed to enjoy it enough..
Reply 11
Nynyflower
heads down thumbs up.

I was ******* pro at that game in Year 6.
Sweets and games
Reply 13
southernlight
Try the game where you're sitting in a circle, and you start by saying "your name the animal beginning with the same letter as your name" e.g. I would be Lou the Lemur.

Then it goes round the circle, but each person has to say all of the ones before them as well, until the person at the other end of the circle has to repeat them all!

I thought it was year 8s, not 8 year olds.

OP, how about some things I recall from Drama back in the day? For learning names, you get in a circle and throw a ball to someone. As you throw, you say your own name. That's a getting to know names game that's less patronising and using animals. :p:
Reply 14
monkeys wearing baseball caps dancing to Michael Jackson's hit song "thriller"
Reply 15
I loved one of my year 8 teachers who would give us a piece of haribo for every correct answer :biggrin:
Reply 16
Squassation is a good idea.

Sorry, I just had to use that word :ninja:
Reply 17
do a quiz, that's the cop out i did lol
There was a game in my school where the class would be split in to groups and one person from each group would go one by one to the teacher/tutor who would give them a word. The word had to be of an object or something you can describe at least. The chosen person has to describe the object without saying what it is to their group, who have to guess the answer.

For example, when it was my go once, my teacher gave me the word 'galaxy' (it was a science class). I said there is one called the Milky Way and someone got it first go so we got more points :smile:

Heads down, thumbs up was popular, as were ice breakers or 'sharing time'. We did sharing time in art where there was a small sculture that we would passa round and the person holding the sculpture has to say something interesting about themselves. That person then passes it on and asks the next person to tell everyone something interesting about them as a person. Only the person with the object may talk and when they are finished, anyone with questions or comments can ask.
Just ask them what they want to do, have some options like a quiz and things like that

Latest

Trending

Trending