The Student Room Group

A level English Literature Coursework - What could my strands be?

Hey guys. Hope you’re all good. I’m struggling with planning and writing my English Literature coursework. I don’t know what possible strands I could use to answer it. Can anyone help me pls?

The question is:
"In the literature of love, marriages only revolve around status and wealth, as opposed to true love."
In light of this view, compare the ways authors present marriage in "Sense and Sensibility" and "Little Women".

DISCLAIMER: I’m not looking for someone else to write the actual essay for me. I just need help with understanding what sort of strands I can use in my argument.

Thanks so much for your help and advice in advance x
Reply 1
hey! just to warn you i haven't read sense and sensibility nor have i read little women but as a fellow a level english lit student, i think that you could maybe find two types of relationships in both novels: one where it revolves around status and wealth (perhaps one of the characters' status has been elevated because of the other? idk) and one that seems to be true love.

or perhaps individually analyse the relationships shown and the extent to which both elements of a love that is based on status and one that is authentic exist?

i hope that made a bit of sense!
Reply 2
Original post by lga361
hey! just to warn you i haven't read sense and sensibility nor have i read little women but as a fellow a level english lit student, i think that you could maybe find two types of relationships in both novels: one where it revolves around status and wealth (perhaps one of the characters' status has been elevated because of the other? idk) and one that seems to be true love.

or perhaps individually analyse the relationships shown and the extent to which both elements of a love that is based on status and one that is authentic exist?

i hope that made a bit of sense!

Hey. Yh it does help. I've got 2/3 of my strands sorted out now. My first one is that marriage is mainly based upon status and wealth (shown by the relationship between Marianne and Colonel Brandon at the end). My second strand is that it's not only based on status, and is mainly based on true love (shown by Elinor and Edward Ferrars). I'm not sure what my third strand could be though. Can anyone help ASAP pls?
Reply 3
Hey again guys. I've got my third strand now, which is that marriage is based on a combination on status and wealth, but I'm struggling to find quotes from 'Little Women' to show this. Can anyone help me ASAP pls? Thanks in advance x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending