The Student Room Group

Are all pgce's the same

I have just been given my final offer which I did not expect to get and now I am unsure. My current uni has given me an offer (Chichester) and now my second being Southampton (a Russel Group uni). If anyone is able to give me some advice or insight to either or there experience I would really appreciate it. P.s never used student room before and I am studying secondary physical education '.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've applied for a Physical Education with QTS degree and in my research, I've found the courses are all very different across the 6 unis that offer it so I'd imagine PGCE's are the same. I've heard Chichester is good for education courses and I had a couple of friends who did teaching degrees there but not PGCE's so can't help with any specifics I'm afraid. you've got plenty of time to decide though right?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! I have 10 days now to make my final decision. I have heard Chichester is good and that is why I chose it to do my studying at for teaching anyway, I’m just now blown anyway by the offer from Southampton as apparently it’s difficult to to get into for their PGCE
I think Russell group status carries less clout in education. I have 2 friends who both did undergrad degrees with QTS at non-Russell group unis and they both got the first job they applied for!
Reply 4
Original post by _Bumblebee_
I have just been given my final offer which I did not expect to get and now I am unsure. My current uni has given me an offer (Chichester) and now my second being Southampton (a Russel Group uni). If anyone is able to give me some advice or insight to either or there experience I would really appreciate it. P.s never used student room before and I am studying secondary physical education '.

Have you thought about where you would want to do your NQT year bearing in mind that the school(s) you go to for your PGCE may ask you to apply for a job there.
Don't sweat too much about future jobs. It can be very handy, but if you need to move to another part of the country it's perfectly fine to take your PGCE with you there. :smile:

I'm guessing both universities gave you some sort of presentation before the interview about how the course is structured? My advice would be to think about that. When do you want your first and second placements? What kind of assignments do you want to have to do? What is the provider's mission when it comes to placements? Is it simply to place you in excellent schools where you'll see fantastic practice? Do they want you to get a real contrast of placement experience?

These are the questions I'd ask myself to help decide, but it's up to you what your priorities are in your selection.

One question I asked in my interviews was about how wide the range of placements are that the university had available to them. I had transport concerns at the time so wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be forced to travel miles and miles because the provider only had a limited number of partnership schools.

I know from a friend there that Southampton have quite a large partnership across Hampshire, but I imagine Chichester's spread of schools is probably quite big too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending