The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What subjects should I choose for A level

Hi, I'm a year 10 student and I'm preparing to apply for a private school so I need to start thinking about what subjects to choose earlier thabk others. I'm considering LSE UCL Oxbridge etc for a Law course. I was wondering what subject do these Universities like the most. My maths isn't the best for an A in A level. I'm still on a 6- and hope to get to a 7 at least so I'm not considering any maths related including science which include maths too. I'm considering English Language, Business from EDEXCEL (but LSE has said they don't take Business but some people say that's only for a BTech ) and Geography. I have decided on Geography for sure but is Business recommended since Law in Oxbridge is really competitive so I need a really respected subject. In addition I'm not sure whether EDEXCEL Business is the same as OCR because if it is I doubt LSE would accept it so I am quite worried. I would go for French but I would rather do that in my own time (I am Chinese so I am teaching myself Chinese because I wasn't born in a Chinese speaking environment , I might take HSK (L6 is highest Mandarin Lang qualification) in my own time if that helps for my university application ). I know Eng Lit is good but I am really not a fan of reading these 19th cent text or poems. I can't take history because I didn't learn it in secondary school so if I apply for it in A level lowers my chance of getting in the school I chose. I'm also wondering whether low maths grade would affect my oxbridge application. I'm really not confident with my maths, the most I could probably get is probably a 7 lowest hopefully a 6. Would getting G7s lower chance of getting in Oxbridge?
What? I’m in year 10 and gave 0 thought to any of that. I need to fix up.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by TF08060728
Hi, I'm a year 10 student and I'm preparing to apply for a private school so I need to start thinking about what subjects to choose earlier thabk others. I'm considering LSE UCL Oxbridge etc for a Law course. I was wondering what subject do these Universities like the most. My maths isn't the best for an A in A level. I'm still on a 6- and hope to get to a 7 at least so I'm not considering any maths related including science which include maths too. I'm considering English Language, Business from EDEXCEL (but LSE has said they don't take Business but some people say that's only for a BTech ) and Geography. I have decided on Geography for sure but is Business recommended since Law in Oxbridge is really competitive so I need a really respected subject. In addition I'm not sure whether EDEXCEL Business is the same as OCR because if it is I doubt LSE would accept it so I am quite worried. I would go for French but I would rather do that in my own time (I am Chinese so I am teaching myself Chinese because I wasn't born in a Chinese speaking environment , I might take HSK (L6 is highest Mandarin Lang qualification) in my own time if that helps for my university application ). I know Eng Lit is good but I am really not a fan of reading these 19th cent text or poems. I can't take history because I didn't learn it in secondary school so if I apply for it in A level lowers my chance of getting in the school I chose. I'm also wondering whether low maths grade would affect my oxbridge application. I'm really not confident with my maths, the most I could probably get is probably a 7 lowest hopefully a 6. Would getting G7s lower chance of getting in Oxbridge?

You should go onto the unis website and look at the subject requirements and entrance exam requirements. That’s the only thing they judge on. E.g if they say three A at a level with one being politics, then you only need to do politics and whatever the other two are won’t matter at all and they won’t affect your chances, as long as you get the AAA. Do you see what I’m saying? Also look at the GCSE requirements as some will only want a B in English and maths and some will look for at least 7A. Looking at this should help you decide on what uni you want to go to.
For law any three traditionally academic subjects are fine. There is no need or preference in doing any specific subjects, and the main requirement is to get good grades in all your subjects, so pick what you are good at and enjoy doing.

For LSE specifically refer to their "entry requirements" page which has (or had) a list of "preferred" vs non-preferred subjects for them. Other universities generally don't use such a format and even when they do (e.g. UCL) it's much less restrictive than LSE. But if you pick three subjects from the LSE preferred subject list you will be fine for any university. All LSE's "preferred subjects" are traditionally academic subjects anyway, so by following the above advice generally you would probably arrive at three subjects from LSE's list regardless.
Reply 4
Original post by deadroseex
What? I’m in year 10 and gave 0 thought to any of that. I need to fix up.

Well I think it's a matter of people around you feeding you about how good unis are important and when you have friends and siblings all applying for uni and a level. It's hard not to care :smile:
LSE say that gcse maths should be no lower than a 6, so as long as you achieve that you should be alright :smile: as for business studies, it is on lse's non-preferred a levels, so maybe it would be okay with two other strong subjects and a strong LNAT score, but i personally wouldnt risk it. you could consider economics instead as it's very similar but more respected?
In accordance with LSE's 'prefered subject' list, I would not choose Business if you are seriously considering the university. (Business comes under their 'non-preferred' subjects list.) There are lots of essay subjects on their preferred list, such as: Ancient History, Classical Civilisation, English (Lit or Language), Geography, Government and Politics, History, Languages, Law, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Studies and Sociology.

My honest suggestion would be to start off with 4 and drop one of them a few weeks into year 12. That gives you the best chance of getting the required grades as you can filter out your least favourite subject / teachers after a trial run. (I took Politics, English Lit, Classics and RS AS level and ended up liking Politics so much that I studied IR at uni, despite originally planning on applying for Law. Let me know if you have any questions about any of these subjects and I'd be happy to help.) Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the suggestions Ive seen on many unis how they need a LNAT test. I was wondering when you apply and do the test. Do you do it in ur 2nd yr of a level or the first year? What can I do in the meantime to prepare?
Thanks for the suggestions Ive seen on many unis how they need a LNAT test. I was wondering when you apply and do the test. Do you do it in ur 2nd yr of a level or the first year? What can I do in the meantime to prepare?

You take the LNAT year 13, it has to be taken in the academic year you apply to university. If you ask the careers service they will help you prepare. It'd probably be good to get a prep textbook with practice questions (your school will have these.) You can get on that in the summer holidays between year 12 and 13, no need to worry yet!
You aren't supposed to pick the subjects unis will 'like the most', and also sciences are not wholly based on maths- Biology is only about 10%.
Business is a joke, and on LSE's non preferred lists, so avoid that. As to English language I would say it is less respected than English literature but if you have a passion for it it's alright.

So you have Geography
You could take economics but bare in mind there is maths in it
Honestly you could take French. I don't see how far you are going to go with it in your own time, and realistically would you.
Personally if I was interested in law I'd take History, Politics and English lit, but other good ones are Maths or sciences, which show you are logical, or a language, especially if you aspire to work for a global firm.

You should probably choose something like Geography, Politics (if you're even slightly interested in politics) and English Lit but since you doubt you'd like it I guess you could take economics, French or lang. Geography feels weird in that combo imo but it's kind of a science.

LSE does take business it just doesn't take it if you also do econ. LSE see business and Econ as too similar and don't count it as 2 A-levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending