The Student Room Group

How do you manage your screen breaks?

It's really difficult at the moment to be able to keep focused when you're spending so long starting at a screen. Whether it's the TV, a computer or your mobile, we are constantly being exposed to screens and during lockdown this problem has only got worse. :frown:

To avoid these challenges, the best thing you can do is take a break from looking at devices with screens on. This is especially important during the day when you're often focusing on a screen for school/work/uni. And also just before bed, when your eyes need to adjust from the glare to being normal again before you can get off to sleep.

I've been talking with friends recently about this and we ended up with three questions:
How can you best allows for screen breaks in your day?
How long should your screen breaks be?
How diligent are you at sticking to your screen breaks?

Post below with your thoughts. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
1- How can you best allows for screen breaks in your day? I make sure I have an hour at lunch, my phone and laptop aren't used after 10 pm and aren't turned on before 9 am and if I have had more than an hour on my screen I will have half and hour off ( even if it was revision and television ).

2 - How long should your screen breaks be? It depends, normally half an hour if it is revision or lessons but if I have more tine available in the day 1 -2 hours.

3 - How diligent are you at sticking to your screen breaks? I am very strict as otherwise I know if I slip up I am not benefitting myself but if I do I won't go on it at another time so I have around the same amount each day.
I'm pretty rubbish at this :colondollar: my job involves staring at 2 screens for 10+ hours a day so it's really tricky to keep my screen time low on work days. On my days off, I use my non-work screens for leisure/relaxing meaning I do spend a good portion of time staring at a screen. But I do try to make a conscious effort on my days off to get off the screens e.g. by going for long walks where I'm not on my phone or by cleaning the house. Also by ensuring I make time for my non-screen hobbies means I can spend a good chunk of time away from screens in the day. But it is definitely a lot harder to keep away from screens when they are everywhere and we rely on them to do so many things for us now!
I don't currently have a routine for screen breaks (I should!) but I do check my activity time e.g. on Instagram and if it's getting higher than normal I make sure to put my phone down and not go on it until later. I should have more of a routine and maybe 'book in' some screen free time :yep:
I don't. I spend 8 hours a day working in front of my screen then my leisure time is generally spent watching things because I have nobody to talk to. Sometimes I will opt for an audiobook instead. I try to get out for a walk on my lunch break health permitting but even then motivating myself to get changed can be a challenge in and of itself.
Error 404.

Screen breaks for Chronoscope not found :hide:
I must admit, I seem to be able to go 24/7 without a screen break. My parents' generation, however, they don't seem to have the staying power :smile:
My screen breaks are generally when I sleep or am back home and eating with family, I try to limit certain apps like TikTok but thats more to stop me wasting my whole day on it I cant say during class as I take all my notes on my iPad/laptop so unless its a practical or art class I'm on a screen. I do try to avoid looking at my phone for an hour before bed or sometimes more if I feel I've been using it constantly but I normally am watch something on Hulu on my laptop.
This is a list of activities. Try reading books. Find a friend to go on walks with. Do some cooking etc. Sleep. Shower too. Go to a local church service or library. Learn a new skill or embrace a new hobby. Visit a new spa or hotel for some lunch. Have a nice full body massage. Stop by a nice cafe or pub for something to eat. Head away on a road trip or vacation etc. Go on a countryside family picnic somewhere new. Order some foreign food and have a fun old classic movie or game night. Play a round of poker or chess. Attend a social event. Go somewhere new for family lunch or dinner perhaps at a cheap hotel or posh restaurant instead. Drive to the nearest beach. Spend a whole day at a theme park. Find a job. Hold a outdoor summer garden party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending