The Student Room Group

Do you put your camera on in online lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Some of my lecturers want our camera on, or at least turn it on when you're speaking!
I guess i engage a lot more when its on, generally i like it off because it feels so odd wearing a hijab at home :rofl:
sometimes, if other people do then i will but most of the time i won't. i do for seminars though.
Original post by 04MR17
I suppose the safeguarding issue is not so much being able to see students bedrooms, but students having total freedom over what everyone else in the room sees. There is a risk that on a students' camera there could be things that the other students ought not to see, be that deliberate or accidental. Then there is the issue of storing a load of recordings of children somewhere. I know some schools are making their lesson recordings available to all the pupils in the class. This could open opportunities for bullying by allowing pupils to return to the recording and dissect the appearance or background of different individuals.

The opposite is also a safeguarding risk. School teachers normally see pupils in person Monday-Friday. If something is wrong, if a child is being abused, if there's something the school ought to be aware of, seeing the child physically is usually a very good way of picking up the signs that this is happening. If a school hasn't physically seen a child since December, they could be being exposed to some horrific things while at home and that's not being detected by the school. Which you could argue is a failure of duty of care.

So as you can see, there are issues with each approach, and that's why schools vary in their policies.

Thank you for your detailed explanation.
Original post by 04MR17
I suppose the safeguarding issue is not so much being able to see students bedrooms, but students having total freedom over what everyone else in the room sees. There is a risk that on a students' camera there could be things that the other students ought not to see, be that deliberate or accidental. Then there is the issue of storing a load of recordings of children somewhere. I know some schools are making their lesson recordings available to all the pupils in the class. This could open opportunities for bullying by allowing pupils to return to the recording and dissect the appearance or background of different individuals.

The opposite is also a safeguarding risk. School teachers normally see pupils in person Monday-Friday. If something is wrong, if a child is being abused, if there's something the school ought to be aware of, seeing the child physically is usually a very good way of picking up the signs that this is happening. If a school hasn't physically seen a child since December, they could be being exposed to some horrific things while at home and that's not being detected by the school. Which you could argue is a failure of duty of care.

So as you can see, there are issues with each approach, and that's why schools vary in their policies.

Wow never thought of it like this. (@ANM775 what do think of this post?)
I wear a headscarf and I really can't be bothered to put it on JUST for an online lesson. However, I think that we should be told to turn mics on and cameras only for discussions, as it would create more of 'class environment'.
Original post by kittyfifi123456
yeah I agree, we don't need to put our camera on though but we use the chat to discuss or the microphone. But it gets awkward sometimes when the teacher asks a question and no one answers :rolleyes:

yeah that's kinda the same w/ us too.. the teachers said they'd give us behaviour points if we didn't put our cameras on, but i haven't put mine on for the past fortnight and i haven't gotten any yet lolll

(also omg its an army i'm an army too !!💜)
Technically, the rule is that we have to turn on cameras, but no-one enforces it and most of us switch off (including me).
Reply 67
My school requires all students to turn on their camera and continuously look at it during lessons. We need to send our notes to teachers and do tons of independent study in the afternoon.
We need to wear uniforms in lessons and WE MUST STAND UP IF IT IS NEEDED.
Someone turned off the camera for 3 seconds and he was penalised. Another was penalised for a 1-minute bathroom break in class. That is insane.
Original post by 8013
My school requires all students to turn on their camera and continuously look at it during lessons. We need to send our notes to teachers and do tons of independent study in the afternoon.
Someone turned off the camera for 3 seconds and he was penalised. Another was penalised for a 1-minute bathroom break in class. That is insane.

how are you penalised?
Reply 69
Original post by Noodlzzz
how are you penalised?

Our conduct records are still working in online lessons. The school pretended like it is 2019.
The teachers always ask students questions and we must answer it within a matter of seconds in a few cases.
As a result, in Oct 2020 exams we performed really well. There was a stellar performance in Maths with all students getting an A.
For all subjects it is 99% A-C in AS, and 68% A.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Imane888
Wow never thought of it like this. (@ANM775 what do think of this post?)

Yes, a student could technically be "bullied" or made fun off due to something in their room by other students but is that really a "safeguarding" issue? I don't think the term "safeguarding" was meant to extend to peers teasing each other. I mean when a kid bullies another kid at school we never hear the term "safeguarding" used do we?

I think this "safeguarding" stuff is coming up in regards to online lessons as ever since the internet began there has been fears over peadophiles etc.../grooiming .......and as the lessons are technically "online", it just makes some people parents/teachers uncomfortable ...when in reality there is very small risk of this. You've got more chance kids encountering a peadophile on the social network sites they use than via online classroom lessons.
Original post by 8013

that sound like restrcting human rights if im honest.
Reply 72
Original post by TheUser220
that sound like restrcting human rights if im honest.

This led us to stellar AS results, with almost 70% of entries getting an A.
Original post by 8013

omg that's insane!!
Original post by imaweirdo
yeah that's kinda the same w/ us too.. the teachers said they'd give us behaviour points if we didn't put our cameras on, but i haven't put mine on for the past fortnight and i haven't gotten any yet lolll

(also omg its an army i'm an army too !!💜)

armies :biggrin:
It’s important to make professional mature decisions about the optimal learning situations you put yourself in. You wouldn’t walk into a classroom with a bag over your head. You most certainly wouldn’t walk into a meeting in a workplace hiding yourself. Sitting in a Zoom or Teams meeting with your camera off without a legitimate reason is like hiding which is not a sensible learning choice. If you legitimately can’t have your camera on, the polite thing to do is to inform the tutor. Not doing that and avoiding the responsibility is not professional adult-like behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending