The Student Room Group

Can I install surveillance cameras in student housing

Because someone kept kicking my room door, more than once, with a very strong kick and running away, and since there were no cameras in the hallway, I had no way of knowing who it was. After the second kick, the doors broke. It can't be locked .This is a security risk for me, so I want to install cameras to film the scene outside my door, so that I know who is threatening me. Is that OK? Do you think I'm invading someone's privacy? I'm just trying to keep me safe. I told the reception that someone had kicked the door, but the reception didn't take any measures, and then the door was kicked again.
Original post by June630
Because someone kept kicking my room door, more than once, with a very strong kick and running away, and since there were no cameras in the hallway, I had no way of knowing who it was. After the second kick, the doors broke. It can't be locked .This is a security risk for me, so I want to install cameras to film the scene outside my door, so that I know who is threatening me. Is that OK? Do you think I'm invading someone's privacy? I'm just trying to keep me safe. I told the reception that someone had kicked the door, but the reception didn't take any measures, and then the door was kicked again.

Where would the camera be? Could it be installed in your room, but still see the hallway somehow? If so, the Information Commissioner's Advice says that this would be fine from a legal perspective.

From this page, with emphasis added by me:

"People have the right to install CCTV cameras and smart doorbells on their property. They should try to point cameras away from neighbours’ homes and gardens, shared spaces or public streets. But this is not always possible, and it is not illegal to do so."

The issue, however, would be that your tenancy contract would almost certainly not allow it. Also, the chance of being able to install the camera within the confines of your own room, but retain visibility of the hallway, seems pretty slim.

One could argue that you putting CCTV on the outside of your wall (within the hallway) is really no different from a homeowner putting CCTV on the outside of their wall. The difference, I feel, is that the latter is trying to catch people on the homeowners property (at the front door, on the driveway, in the garden), whilst no part of the hallway it yours.

You say you "told the reception that someone had kicked the door". Did you also tell them that it no longer locks as a result? Clearly, they're going to need to fix the lock. How are you able to secure the door right now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending