The Student Room Group

How do I know which branch of medical-related science I want to do?

I like the idea of studying biomedical sciences at uni because it covers many topics and I like lab work.
I feel like I should have some backup options but I have zero ideas - on UCAS there was stuff like immunology, pharmacology, natural sciences etc. and yeah they all seem interesting but how do I really know what I want to specifically study if I've never properly studies it before (I'm in year 12)?
like you said biomedical can have quite a good range so you can have a bit of a opportunity to study most things but you could also look at ted talks for specific topics or go through some uni modules and try to have a look. You won’t get the exact knowledge of the course obviously but it’s nice to have an idea. I hope this may have helped 😊

edit : there’s also some websites that i follow myself like the ‘bio analysis zone’ that have articles and stuff about different biological topics so you could always check that out
Original post by Helena200189
I like the idea of studying biomedical sciences at uni because it covers many topics and I like lab work.
I feel like I should have some backup options but I have zero ideas - on UCAS there was stuff like immunology, pharmacology, natural sciences etc. and yeah they all seem interesting but how do I really know what I want to specifically study if I've never properly studies it before (I'm in year 12)?

Natural sciences usually allows you to choose a range of modules from the sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, computer science etc). You will get a chance to cover a few of these topics in your 1st and 2nd years so by your 2nd/final year when you have to choose from those sorts of modules
Original post by Renee.Michelle
like you said biomedical can have quite a good range so you can have a bit of a opportunity to study most things but you could also look at ted talks for specific topics or go through some uni modules and try to have a look. You won’t get the exact knowledge of the course obviously but it’s nice to have an idea. I hope this may have helped 😊

edit : there’s also some websites that i follow myself like the ‘bio analysis zone’ that have articles and stuff about different biological topics so you could always check that out

Great, I'll check that out. Thank you :smile:
Original post by QuentinM
Natural sciences usually allows you to choose a range of modules from the sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, computer science etc). You will get a chance to cover a few of these topics in your 1st and 2nd years so by your 2nd/final year when you have to choose from those sorts of modules

Does that mean I would have to study stuff like physics and computer sciences, because I'm really not interested in that? Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending