The Student Room Group

Help choose between which MacBook

Help!!
I’m looking to buy a new laptop for when I go to Uni this year and to use it beyond that.
I’am trying to compare the MacBook Pro intel core i5 with the new MacBook Pro M1 chip.
I will be using softwares like Fusion 360, any other Autodesk softwares and Adobe softwares like Illustrator, photoshop and indesign.
I understand the new MacBook Pro M1 support these through rosseta but can have some issues. But they claim they are going to fix these issues... if and when? I don’t know.
And the MacBook Pro Intel works perfectly with these softwares.
The new M1 is proven to be a lot faster ext, but I’m still questioning where it’s worth getting the M1 chip or one with intel, when using these softwares.

Please help a gal out. Im struggling to decide and have never own a MacBook before and I really want to make sure I get my money’s worth.
Original post by Usernam0123
I really want to make sure I get my money’s worth.

Then get a PC !!!! It is cheaper especially for students!¬!
Original post by GatoMessi

In the long run apple products are better since they tend to have a much better build quality than most windows devices. Cheap isn’t always good especially when you need something to be reliable.
Help!!
I’m looking to buy a new laptop for when I go to Uni this year and to use it beyond that.
I’am trying to compare the MacBook Pro intel core i5 with the new MacBook Pro M1 chip.
I will be using softwares like Fusion 360, any other Autodesk softwares and Adobe softwares like Illustrator, photoshop and indesign.
I understand the new MacBook Pro M1 support these through rosseta but can have some issues. But they claim they are going to fix these issues... if and when? I don’t know.
The new M1 is proven to be a lot faster ext, but I’m still questioning where it’s worth getting the M1 chip or one with intel, when using these softwares.

Please help a gal out. Im struggling to decide and have never own a MacBook before and I really want to make sure I get my money’s worth.

It’s only apples first generation processor. I’d recommend you wait until September for the new MacBooks to come out. Otherwise I’d opt for the M1 since it is literally made for apple devices
Help!!

Wait for the M1X coming out this year.
Help!!

If you're insistent on a MacBook, the best advice I can give you is to get the M1 Air, especially as you could spend the money you would spend on an 8GB Pro on a 16GB Air, which will likely be more meaningful to performance than the slight CPU boost.

But honestly, as much as I hate to say it with how good the M1 CPU is, for your use case it's not the best idea. There's a solid chance that Rosetta isn't going to play well with the applications you've listed, and while there is a decent chance it'll work, it's probably not going to be worth chancing it when it means that you could be unable to run stuff that you need to use for your degree. And I'd rule out any Intel Macs due to the high chance of Apple discontinuing software support down the line once they've done with the transition to Apple Silicon.
Reply 6
Original post by onlytruejx68
If you're insistent on a MacBook, the best advice I can give you is to get the M1 Air, especially as you could spend the money you would spend on an 8GB Pro on a 16GB Air, which will likely be more meaningful to performance than the slight CPU boost.

But honestly, as much as I hate to say it with how good the M1 CPU is, for your use case it's not the best idea. There's a solid chance that Rosetta isn't going to play well with the applications you've listed, and while there is a decent chance it'll work, it's probably not going to be worth chancing it when it means that you could be unable to run stuff that you need to use for your degree. And I'd rule out any Intel Macs due to the high chance of Apple discontinuing software support down the line once they've done with the transition to Apple Silicon.

The MacBook Air with the M1 doesn’t have fans, meaning if I were to render things it could over heat, and MacBook airs are not built for softwares like these. Whereas the MacBook Pro is, and are much more powerful.
I understand that Rosetta has some issues at the moment with certain apps but one of me friends who’s already at uni uses this MacBook with the same softwares and he says it works amazing and has reported no issues running fusion etc.
Apple and softwares are planning to update this so more and more softwares will be compatible with the M1 chip which would be worth getting and waiting for these updates and It might disappoint me when they do and I’ve decided to go for an intel one.
I think after some research I might got for the MacBook Pro M1
Help!!

M1 deffo because intel chips will start being phased out
Reply 8

A Pc is not portable. I need something portable to carry around the uni with me
Original post by Aryaman29
In the long run apple products are better since they tend to have a much better build quality than most windows devices. Cheap isn’t always good especially when you need something to be reliable.

"She will be using softwares like Fusion 360, any other Autodesk softwares and Adobe softwares like Illustrator, photoshop and indesign"

Will it be powerful enough to hold many software - especially Autodesk?
"She will be using softwares like Fusion 360, any other Autodesk softwares and Adobe softwares like Illustrator, photoshop and indesign"

Will it be powerful enough to hold many software - especially Autodesk?

im not sure what autodesk is but on their website they recommend a 3GHz processor and 16 GB of RAM. The M1 chip clocks in at around 3.2GHz and you have the option to increase RAM up to 32 on Apple's website when choosing your model. I am not telling you it will work or it wont work perfectly with your software. I am simply advising you and you should do further research before spending 1.5k+ on a MacBook
Original post by Aryaman29
im not sure what autodesk is

I do not know what course the poster is going to take, but Autodesk is well know for Architecture (AutoCAD) that will require lots of memory. This is one of the reason why I am not sure of Apple unless buy expensive ones with powerful RAM
(edited 3 years ago)
I do not know what course the poster is going to take, but Autodesk is well know for Architecture (AutoCAD) that will require lots of memory. This is one of the reason why I am not sure of Apple unless buy expensive ones with powerful RAM

I’m doing Product design, so I’d mainly be using a 3D modelling software, like fusion, which can run with 4gb of ram, as it’s not a massive software.

yeah 16GB should be more than enough to handle most applications. on the website it recommends 8GB so its good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending