The Student Room Group

Best mobile phone contract for students

I'm coming over to study in the U.K from mainland Europe, and would like to know who is the best service provider for mobile phone contracts. How much would 60 Go, unlimited texts and calls cost per month roughly. I've heard that it's really expensive compared to the rest of Europe. It would cost about £ 10/ month here, so I'm just wondering how much more I should budget for and which provider has the best coverage.

Scroll to see replies

Check online
Reply 2
Thanks!
Reply 3
I use giffgaff n I think it’s quite cheap 👇 these r the prices ( u get unlimited texts/calls for all of them btw) 2E38CFDC-B101-40E1-853D-D4BF5F45CE02.jpg.jpeg
Reply 4
Thanks a lot 😊 I'm just a little confused because all our data contracts use Go and in the U.K it's GB, so I'm not sure how much an average person would need.
Avoid EE, it is really expensive. Virgin media have some fairly cheap deals.
If you’re coming around September/October and can get a sim only deal till the end of November, Black Friday and the week before this date have some outrageously cheap deals :smile:
Original post by Euapp
Thanks a lot 😊 I'm just a little confused because all our data contracts use Go and in the U.K it's GB, so I'm not sure how much an average person would need.

I use around 9GB of data a month, but I have access to WiFi most of the time (both at college and home). If you won’t have access to WiFi, you’ll need a lot more. If you have WiFi access 10GB will serve you well :smile:. 15-25GB if you’ll need to use a sat nav a lot
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think GO is giga octet (8 bits) and GB is gigabytes (8 bits) so they are equivalent, no?

Quick bit of advice, if you call companies to negotiate, they usually will, especially if you can find a better deal elsewhere but like a certain company. I got a few hundred quid off of my current contract just by asking
Reply 8
Original post by Jmoore12
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think GO is giga octet (8 bits) and GB is gigabytes (8 bits) so they are equivalent, no?

Quick bit of advice, if you call companies to negotiate, they usually will, especially if you can find a better deal elsewhere but like a certain company. I got a few hundred quid off of my current contract just by asking

I don't think GB and Go are the same. Standard contracts on the continent are between 30 and 100 Go for teenagers who have WiFi at home and don't use telephones at school. I imagine I'll have WiFi on campus and in the halls, so shouldn't need an excessive amount, but when I see the figures on contracts in the U.K I can't imagine how people manage if it's the same thing.
Reply 9
Original post by Euapp
I don't think GB and Go are the same. Standard contracts on the continent are between 30 and 100 Go for teenagers who have WiFi at home and don't use telephones at school. I imagine I'll have WiFi on campus and in the halls, so shouldn't need an excessive amount, but when I see the figures on contracts in the U.K I can't imagine how people manage if it's the same thing.

Are you sure you have that capitalisation right on Go? If yes, then I suppose it is 8 times less
Reply 10
Are you sure you have that capitalisation right on Go? If yes, then I suppose it is 8 times less

I'm sure about nothing, but my 60Go contract with unlimited calls and texts costs me 11.99€/month. I know the U.K is more expensive but a 60GB contract costs way more,and there aren't many around. So I'm guessing like you that it's divided by 8 for the conversion factor which would make sense given the offers available and the price. Hope so anyway,🤞
Reply 11
Just checked, for example 100Go with a supplier called B&You is €14.99€/month🤷
Reply 12
Original post by Euapp
I'm sure about nothing, but my 60Go contract with unlimited calls and texts costs me 11.99€/month. I know the U.K is more expensive but a 60GB contract costs way more,and there aren't many around. So I'm guessing like you that it's divided by 8 for the conversion factor which would make sense given the offers available and the price. Hope so anyway,🤞

I assume it's the equivalent of Gb, which is 8 times less than GB so the capitalisation probably transfers. That would make sense
Original post by Euapp
I'm coming over to study in the U.K from mainland Europe, and would like to know who is the best service provider for mobile phone contracts. How much would 60 Go, unlimited texts and calls cost per month roughly. I've heard that it's really expensive compared to the rest of Europe. It would cost about £ 10/ month here, so I'm just wondering how much more I should budget for and which provider has the best coverage.

Sim only deals for £10/month you can probably 10+GB data & unlimited call & texts.
for £20 you can probably get 100GB+ data & unlimited calls & texts.Their are good value deals, it just depends how much internet roaming you want really.

Although we live in a world so wifi'd up nowadays you may find your ok with a modest package.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mnot
Sim only deals for £10/month you can probably 10+GB data & unlimited call & texts.
for £20 you can probably get 100GB+ data & unlimited calls & texts.Their are good value deals, it just depends how much internet roaming you want really.

Although we live in a world so wifi'd up nowadays you may find your ok with a modest package.

Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.
Reply 15
I assume it's the equivalent of Gb, which is 8 times less than GB so the capitalisation probably transfers. That would make sense

Yes. I think so too. Thanks for the help 🙂
I use a combo of both giffgaff and VOXI, one for the Internet one for the texts/calls
Reply 17
Original post by the_cosmo_guy
I use a combo of both giffgaff and VOXI, one for the Internet one for the texts/calls

So how does that work? 2 SIM cards? and roughly what price?
Original post by Euapp
So how does that work? 2 SIM cards? and roughly what price?

yes, dual sim phone so 2 sim cards, its roughly 15 gbp
Reply 19
Original post by the_cosmo_guy
yes, dual sim phone so 2 sim cards, its roughly 15 gbp

I'll definitely look into that, although it must be a bit of a fiddle knowing which one you're using at any time. I'd probably get them mixed up and have an enormous bill at the end of the month!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending