The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Bad universities, or resit year 13?

Since I got rejected by Queen mary, its been bumming me out lately. I got a DDD for my predicted and applied to a CCC and a BBB course for QMU. It was my main university which almost all my friends got accepted into.
I did get accepted to the following for mechanical engineering:
UEL - refuse to go to UEL
Kingston
Greenwich
Since I'm based in London, the Greenwich and Kingston campuses are 2 hours away from me. I'm pretty much scared of being homesick and falling out with my friend. But mainly, I hate the fact that I wasn't able to make it into a top university based in London such as Queen Mary or UCL and I can't stop looking at queen mary. I can't lie I've been looking at youtube videos about the area of Greenwich and Kingston and it kind of doesn't look too appealing as other top universities (Not tryna sound ungrateful lol but Ive been told that jobs do look at the universities that you've been to).
I get that the degree is the same but I feel like resitting to get better grades and try to get into a better university. I was also wondering if you have to pay for resitting year 13 and the exams. Do you pay per paper? subject? Tbh this is all stressing me out.
I've heard how hard clearing is and how its a struggle and a long process. I'm really just looking for some really good and experienced advice tbh.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KawsarAhm
Since I got rejected by Queen mary, its been bumming me out lately. I got a DDD for my predicted and applied to a CCC and a BBB course for QMU. It was my main university which almost all my friends got accepted into.
Kingston
Greenwich
Since I'm based in London, the Greenwich and Kingston campuses are 2 hours away from me. I'm pretty much scared of being homesick and falling out with my friend. But mainly, I hate the fact that I wasn't able to make it into a top university based in London such as Queen Mary or UCL and I can't stop looking at queen mary. I can't lie I've been looking at youtube videos about the area of Greenwich and Kingston and it kind of doesn't look too appealing as other top universities (Not tryna sound ungrateful lol but Ive been told that jobs do look at the universities that you've been to).
I get that the degree is the same but I feel like resitting to get better grades and try to get into a better university. I was also wondering if you have to pay for resitting year 13 and the exams. Do you pay per paper? subject? Tbh this is all stressing me out.
I've heard how hard clearing is and how its a struggle and a long process. I'm really just looking for some really good and experienced advice tbh.

hey, I can't answer all your questions and it might be better to talk to a teacher or if you have a person at school who helps with the application process, but as far as I'm aware you pay per subject to re-sit as the paper numbers change per subject.
as for retaking, my dad was in the same position as you are in, and he retook his a-levels and is now doing really well, and I know what you mean about wanting to go to a good university, in the end, if you do retake then you need to work really hard to bring your grades up and you'll have to look at either going to a crammer or getting a tutor, both of which will cost something but then again it could really benefit you in the future.
As for the current situation with covid and stuff, it may not be the worst idea to wait another year before going to uni anyway as you won't be missing out on huge amounts with freshers and bits.
so to summarise, I think form what I know, I would look at re-taking as it would benefit you more in the future and there is no point going to a uni you don't want to be at, but I don't know your individual circumstances so you need to talk to teachers and reach a decision - hope it all goes well for you :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
He also with the covid suituation, I think it's worth doing the clearing process. I've done it myself and it's really not bad. It's stressful for 2 days while youre ringing round but 100% worth it especially if you're set on our first choice. I think universities will be much more linient in accepting students however a back up offer is good. Regarding the kingston and greenwich please hae a look at the student survey satisfaction scores for your course and respective uni. I'm at UEL and I only wish i'd see mine before going. THis university is terrible so you are correct to vito it IMO. Also maybe whilst your waiting for all this I would resit 1 exam (MAX 2!!) maybe while it's still fresh in your mind. Maybe the one you need most for mechanical engineering (maths or physics I would assume?) As a teacher of Science myself, I would advise my year 13's to do that this May/June 2021. This will be a better bargaining tool for clearing if you come out with a better grade. Then you can add this to your personal statement that you were determined to go to your top choice uni, that you even chose to resit exams outwith of school. It shows strong will, determination and conscientiousness. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by YanAmous
He also with the covid suituation, I think it's worth doing the clearing process. I've done it myself and it's really not bad. It's stressful for 2 days while youre ringing round but 100% worth it especially if you're set on our first choice. I think universities will be much more linient in accepting students however a back up offer is good. Regarding the kingston and greenwich please hae a look at the student survey satisfaction scores for your course and respective uni. I'm at UEL and I only wish i'd see mine before going. THis university is terrible so you are correct to vito it IMO. Also maybe whilst your waiting for all this I would resit 1 exam (MAX 2!!) maybe while it's still fresh in your mind. Maybe the one you need most for mechanical engineering (maths or physics I would assume?) As a teacher of Science myself, I would advise my year 13's to do that this May/June 2021. This will be a better bargaining tool for clearing if you come out with a better grade. Then you can add this to your personal statement that you were determined to go to your top choice uni, that you even chose to resit exams outwith of school. It shows strong will, determination and conscientiousness. Hope this helps!

man this sounds really stressful but thanks. Cant i do clearing and THEN if i don't get a place, apply for a resit?

Im planning to resit the whole of year 13 tbh
Reply 4
man this sounds really stressful but thanks. Cant i do clearing and THEN if i don't get a place, apply for a resit?

Im planning to resit the whole of year 13 tbh

Hello, I know it sounds like a lot buttt its very manageable and a lot of students are in your position at the moment.

Yeh you can go for clearing first then resit if neccesary. Also what grades do you think you can get? Do you have any coursework that you would find out the grades before the exams you have due in May this year? If so and you do well maybe, your school can change your predicted grades and contact the universitys youve applied for (QMU) and request a reconsideration. From doing this, that might get you a conditional offer. I have done this for students before and on the most part it's been successful as there has always been extenuating circumstances. However given Covid situation, university admissions may be more linient. Definetly get advice from your school and/or specific teachers.
Reply 5
Kingston
Greenwich

I reset my a levels ... never ever settle I’d say re sit but up to you
Reply 6
Original post by YanAmous
Hello, I know it sounds like a lot buttt its very manageable and a lot of students are in your position at the moment.

Yeh you can go for clearing first then resit if neccesary. Also what grades do you think you can get? Do you have any coursework that you would find out the grades before the exams you have due in May this year? If so and you do well maybe, your school can change your predicted grades and contact the universitys youve applied for (QMU) and request a reconsideration. From doing this, that might get you a conditional offer. I have done this for students before and on the most part it's been successful as there has always been extenuating circumstances. However given Covid situation, university admissions may be more linient. Definetly get advice from your school and/or specific teachers.

Hi. Firstly, I do Physics, maths and chem and I think could get a CCC...but then again my performance on papers are very poor
Secondly, my teachers BARELY REPLY ONLINE! I messaged my head of year about 2 months ago telling her about my situation but she didn't reply. Idk if she's busy. - Doesnt make learning any easier too. /:

I'm going to ask my teacher about the reconsideration. I don't think id be happy at the universities that i got
thanks for the advice
Hi. Firstly, I do Physics, maths and chem and I think could get a CCC...but then again my performance on papers are very poor
Secondly, my teachers BARELY REPLY ONLINE! I messaged my head of year about 2 months ago telling her about my situation but she didn't reply. Idk if she's busy. - Doesnt make learning any easier too. /:

I'm going to ask my teacher about the reconsideration. I don't think id be happy at the universities that i got
thanks for the advice

DDD in BTEC grades or DDD in A levels???
Reply 8
Original post by oci9
I reset my a levels ... never ever settle I’d say re sit but up to you

Did you retake at your school and did they boost up your grades?
also, did you feel like you missed out on the uni life your friends had cuz that's one of the things I've been thinking about
Reply 9
Original post by how u like that
DDD in BTEC grades or DDD in A levels???

A levels /:
A levels /:

What about looking at a Foundation year?
A levels /:

That is bad gurl or boy. Is your school going to predict you DDD in the summer exams? Ouch... You should probably go to university, DO NOT RESIT

TRY and UP YOUR GRADES TO CCC
Reply 12
Did you retake at your school and did they boost up your grades?
also, did you feel like you missed out on the uni life your friends had cuz that's one of the things I've been thinking about

Yeah originally sat them got CDD in maths chem biology
Re sat and got AAC. So yeah did help. But I worked harder. I dossed originally and paid the price.
I did definitely miss out on some uni chances as all my friends moved to uni which was hard to see seeing as I felt like I got left behind but u just not gotta think of it like that.
And yeah I do chem at uni now it’s alright but I do miss college... when you get to uni you’ll really appreciate the extra mile ur school teachers go most lecturers couldn’t give a toss
Reply 13
Original post by how u like that
That is bad gurl or boy. Is your school going to predict you DDD in the summer exams? Ouch... You should probably go to university, DO NOT RESIT

TRY and UP YOUR GRADES TO CCC

What do you mean don’t re sit. If he gets DDD surely it’s for a specific reason he doesn’t understand the content so a resit may be right I know when I resat I was able to access a lot more content and it’s helped me a lot more this year so yeah keep an open mind re sittings not all doom and gloom
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79

Yeah that’s a very good shout
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79

yeah greenwich offered me one but then again it feels like i would be wasting a year
Reply 16
Original post by oci9
Yeah originally sat them got CDD in maths chem biology
Re sat and got AAC. So yeah did help. But I worked harder. I dossed originally and paid the price.
I did definitely miss out on some uni chances as all my friends moved to uni which was hard to see seeing as I felt like I got left behind but u just not gotta think of it like that.
And yeah I do chem at uni now it’s alright but I do miss college... when you get to uni you’ll really appreciate the extra mile ur school teachers go most lecturers couldn’t give a toss

ah man i think thats the main mental strain i have to get over, missing out.
But im pretty sure you got to experience it none other the less right
Reply 17
Is the field you’re getting into competitive? Does university matter for your desired career? If not look at the clearing option.

If university ranking or prestige does matter for your job, I would recommend resitting again. Your sixth form/college may be willing to consider you to resit which will be for free but if not you may have to go private which costs roughly £300- £385 each subject.

Or what you could do is what I am doing, I am taking a foundation course at uni rn ( bc my CAGs from last year was low ) whilst retaking my A levels too. Doing a foundation course could be your back up if worst comes worst ( it’s not hard as you just need to pass the modules which is roughly 40% ) and you could pay for you exams privately from your maintenance loan.

Good luck!
No harm retrying, but mind you a degree is a degree; plus two things: 1. Transferring to one university from the other is not impossible, although it is a gamble. 2. You could always in 3 years re-apply to Queen Mary to study postgraduate.

Finally, I understand down south that you have 3 and 4 year courses. The latter being a foundation year? Does Queen Mary or UCL offer the same courses with a foundation year with looser grade expectancy i.e C's and D's?

For me, based on what you have said, my order of preference would be: Foundation year (because those are the Uni's you really want); resit year at school (It's another year but another chance to get the better grades); or go to a different university (you seem reluctant, but I have left it for the points 1 and 2 I stated earlier).

Good luck.
yeah greenwich offered me one but then again it feels like i would be wasting a year

You say that a foundation year is like wasting a year, but then a resit year would be no different surely?
Queen Mary offer foundation years in engineering from a quick look online. You would still be starting uni with your current friends, albeit in a different cohort, but you would gain new friends in your new cohort as well as still going to uni at the same time as current friends.
A foundation year is there to prep you for the study on your degree without having the grades needed to go straight onto the degree. They give you the groundwork that you need to succeed and from the university you will be more than likely studying at.
You say that your college haven’t been great, so a foundation year means you skip that out and have the support from those who will likely help you, as they want you to progress within their university.
I feel that you may be setting your expectations high; you’re wanting a prestigious university but your grades are fairly low. A foundation year would be your better option to be honest.
Also, just because you do the foundation year at a university, doesn’t mean that you can’t transfer after that year to a different university (providing you get the grades).
You can always speak to admissions at Queen Mary, see what they say about this and look at clearing.
It really is no different in terms of ‘wasting a year’ though than what resitting would be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending