lemonadetea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 yet so I figured that I would start one!

Some questions to break the ice:

Which A-Level subjects are you doing?
Which degree do you have your eyes on?
What’s your dream Durham college?
Why Durham?
Which other unis are you considering?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):
FAQ
Application Questions
I'm applying to a different course at Durham to elsewhere, can I submit a second personal statement?
Yes, Durham allows anyone to submit a substitute personal statement as long as it is submitted within 3 days of your application being acknowledged. You can read more about it, or submit your new personal statement here.

I applied to x course y months ago and haven't got a response, does that mean I've been rejected?
No, while Durham makes some offers before the 15th January, especially for their most competitive courses they often wait until the UCAS deadline of 15th January to consider the vast majority of applicants. This means they often end up giving offers out right until 31st March, or occasionally even later. Being left til the end doesn't mean either that you definitely have an offer coming, or that you definitely don't!

College Questions
How do I choose a college?
Everyone has different methods of choosing a college. Often people might like to consider factors such as the size, the proximity to their departmental buildings, the college facilities, self-catered or catered options, whether it is a gowned college, among other things. This webpage can be helpful for comparison of some factors.

Can I change my college preference before allocation?
Yes you can. Email [email protected] with your UCAS ID, original preference (if you know it), and what you would like your new preference to be and they will change it Durham usually set a specific deadline for this, but it's usually around the end of January so make sure to do any changes by then!
In 2021, Durham introduced a college ranking system rather than just choosing one college then being randomly allocated to another if they couldn't place you at your preference. It is likely that you'll have to put one college on your UCAS form, then will be sent a link to add more to your list of preferences at the end of January/beginning of February, to be completed by a certain date regardless of whether you have an offer or not at that point. You may however be able to amend your preference order after this date if you haven't yet been allocated.

What does campus code Z mean?
When you recieve your offer, Durham changes everyone to have campus code Z on their UCAS application. It doesn't mean anything, it effectively says you have an offer from Durham. They don't change the campus code after college allocations, college allocations are done entirely by email.

I've recieved my college allocation, can I change college?
Unfortunately unless you have a medical need which cannot be met by the college you have been allocated then you cannot switch college. That said, some people do get changed college if either they insure rather than firm Durham or if they miss their offer but are accepted anyway so you may end up in a different college either way!

When do I apply for accommodation?
After results day in the summer. All first year students are guaranteed a place in accommodation at their college in Durham, your college will contact you to help match you to a room after results day (since some students have their college changed on results day).

Uni experience
Is there a society for x?
In all likelihood, yes! Both colleges and the university has societies for all kinds of things, everything from art to baking, harry potter to sport. And if they don't, it's super easy in most, if not all colleges to set up a new society.

Is it true no one goes clubbing in Durham?
No, definitely not! Durham has about 5 or 6 clubs which open different nights of the week and plenty of people go every time. Lots of people also like to go to Newcastle for nights out too. Equally there's plenty of people who don't like clubbing, so if you don't then don't worry about it either.

Last edited by Lemur14; 1 day ago
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
English literature, religious studies and geography as well as EPQ
Either English literature or religious studies!
Castle (it’s really close to the theology department so it’s the most convenient)
Why Durham?
The city looks really lovely, and I love the collegiate system!
Bristol, Leeds, Edinburgh, not sure about my 5th choice yet!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lemonadetea)
Hi! I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 yet so I figured that I would start one!

Why Durham?
Chemistry, Arabic, Math (Stat) and Environmental Management
BSc Chemistry
not too sure about the colleges
The place is very pretty and rich in history, plus the uni has a good rep!
Bristol and Sheffield
SingerA03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am doing Economics, Geography and Maths at A Level. I am thinking about an Economics degree but it could be anything within or near to that subject area - I haven't made my mind up. I'm also considering doing Combined Honours in Social Sciences or Economics and Politics maybe. My dream Durham college is definitely a bailey college but which one yet I'm not sure. I am drawn to Cuths though because they have a cathedral choir and I sing in a similar choir now. I love Durham because it looks so beautiful and it's one of the top universities. I love the collegiate side of it and the city is quiet enough but still lively. I haven't really got any concrete choices for other universities but I've been doing a bit of research into Nottingham, Bath and a few others!
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
(Original post by SingerA03)
I am doing Economics, Geography and Maths at A Level. I am thinking about an Economics degree but it could be anything within or near to that subject area - I haven't made my mind up. I'm also considering doing Combined Honours in Social Sciences or Economics and Politics maybe. My dream Durham college is definitely a bailey college but which one yet I'm not sure. I am drawn to Cuths though because they have a cathedral choir and I sing in a similar choir now. I love Durham because it looks so beautiful and it's one of the top universities. I love the collegiate side of it and the city is quiet enough but still lively. I haven't really got any concrete choices for other universities but I've been doing a bit of research into Nottingham, Bath and a few others!
How are you finding geography a level? It’s definitely my weakest subject at the moment however I’m hoping it won’t impact me too greatly!
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Chemistry, Arabic, Math (Stat) and Environmental Management
BSc Chemistry
not too sure about the colleges
The place is very pretty and rich in history, plus the uni has a good rep!
Bristol and Sheffield
Ooh that’s such a cool mix of a level subjects!
SingerA03
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How are you finding geography a level? It’s definitely my weakest subject at the moment however I’m hoping it won’t impact me too greatly!
I'm finding it ok. We have just started our third unit, Globalisation, and I'm finding it way easier and enjoying it much more than the physical geography stuff (human geography links in with my other subjects way better, especially globalisation with Economics). I found and still do find Glaciation really hard especially with all the landforms and processes to remember. Tectonics was ok, I think it was easier because I'd done a bit of it at GCSE and there aren't as many landforms and processes in it haha. How are you finding it?
Unknownx12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Why Durham?
1) History, English lit, Psychology and EPQ
2) Law
3) not sure but I saw a yt vid about all the colleges that I will watch later - I think john snow sounds nice
4) not in London lol but also my mentor went there and spoke highly of it
5) not rlly sure yet for now Oxbridge, Kcl, Ucl, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
I'm finding it ok. We have just started our third unit, Globalisation, and I'm finding it way easier and enjoying it much more than the physical geography stuff (human geography links in with my other subjects way better, especially globalisation with Economics). I found and still do find Glaciation really hard especially with all the landforms and processes to remember. Tectonics was ok, I think it was easier because I'd done a bit of it at GCSE and there aren't as many landforms and processes in it haha. How are you finding it?
I’m absolutely loving the human geography, especially human rights as it links well with religious studies! I’ve always struggled with physical tbh... We’ve had super disruptive teaching so far (we’re on our fourth teacher already this year) and I started the subject late (I dropped maths and switched to geography) so I missed the coasts topic which I didn’t do at GCSE. It’s definitely been a challenge but it’s not too bad! Which exam board are you on?
aaron2578
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Why Durham?
Physics, biology, maths, further maths
Natural Sciences MSci
I don't know yet
The course is flexible and I've heard the place is really nice
Cambridge (NatSci), St Andrews (Physics), maybe Edinburgh/Lancaster/Exeter

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher programme applicants, anyone?
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unknownx12)
1) History, English lit, Psychology and EPQ
2) Law
3) not sure but I saw a yt vid about all the colleges that I will watch later - I think john snow sounds nice
4) not in London lol but also my mentor went there and spoke highly of it
5) not rlly sure yet for now Oxbridge, Kcl, Ucl, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham
Welcome to the thread! Which texts are you doing for English Lit?
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaron2578)
Physics, biology, maths, further maths
Natural Sciences MSci
I don't know yet
The course is flexible and I've heard the place is really nice
Cambridge (NatSci), St Andrews (Physics), maybe Edinburgh/Lancaster/Exeter

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher programme applicants, anyone?
How are you finding maths a level? I dropped it very quickly because I hated it lol 😂
SingerA03
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m absolutely loving the human geography, especially human rights as it links well with religious studies! I’ve always struggled with physical tbh... We’ve had super disruptive teaching so far (we’re on our fourth teacher already this year) and I started the subject late (I dropped maths and switched to geography) so I missed the coasts topic which I didn’t do at GCSE. It’s definitely been a challenge but it’s not too bad! Which exam board are you on?
Yes, I definitely prefer human. That's so rubbish about your teachers. I've had the same teacher but I have only been in college for 7 weeks this school year as my college did a one week in, one week on Teams sort of thing so we could social distance in lessons and around college. My teacher spent a lot of the year at home so even when we were in college sometimes he would be teaching on Teams at home and we would watch him on the smart board! I'm very jealous that you do Coasts, I loved that at GCSE and glaciation is rubbish. I do Edexcel Geography.
aaron2578
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How are you finding maths a level? I dropped it very quickly because I hated it lol 😂
I've found that taking further maths makes the normal maths seem easier! It just doesn't seem that hard anymore when you're doing even harder things.
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
Yes, I definitely prefer human. That's so rubbish about your teachers. I've had the same teacher but I have only been in college for 7 weeks this school year as my college did a one week in, one week on Teams sort of thing so we could social distance in lessons and around college. My teacher spent a lot of the year at home so even when we were in college sometimes he would be teaching on Teams at home and we would watch him on the smart board! I'm very jealous that you do Coasts, I loved that at GCSE and glaciation is rubbish. I do Edexcel Geography.
I loved glaciers at GCSE although I think that was mostly because we did our fieldwork in Iceland which was really fun! I do OCR although I think that my teacher is teaching us AQA 😂
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
I've found that taking further maths makes the normal maths seem easier! It just doesn't seem that hard anymore when you're doing even harder things.
Haha that’s fair enough but also terrifying! I admire you though I wish I’d been able to stick with it
aaron2578
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Haha that’s fair enough but also terrifying! I admire you though I wish I’d been able to stick with it
Thanks! Honestly same for you how could you bear with English Lit and RS after GCSE - those gave me nightmares...
lemonadetea
Rep:
?
Thanks! Honestly same for you how could you bear with English Lit and RS after GCSE - those gave me nightmares...
I HATED English literature at GCSE, I only took it because it linked well to RS but I’ve ended up loving it at a level! I’ve always loved RS especially looking at how religious have evolved over time to fit with modern issues
aaron2578
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I HATED English literature at GCSE, I only took it because it linked well to RS but I’ve ended up loving it at a level! I’ve always loved RS especially looking at how religious have evolved over time to fit with modern issues
Oh really? What's it like at A Level?

I didn't like the RS content (AQA) but it was the teacher that made it horrible.
Unknownx12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Welcome to the thread! Which texts are you doing for English Lit?
I'm currently doing Othello, streetcar named desire, handmaids tale, Frankenstein and something else I forgot. My teacher keeps changing the texts as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads