The Student Room Group

Newcastle University A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
Extenuating circumstances are a different thing to widening participation and assessed under a different framework.

Do you have evidence for how much learning was lost at State schools compared to private ones?
Ethnic minorities are under-represented at uni - that is the definition of widening participation.
I, personally, cannot think of a much more disadvantage group than asylum seekers?

The issue I have is not with the provision of widening participation schemes, it is that they should not be left wide open to gaming the system, as I have discussed in earlier posts.

I can certainly say in our geographical area there was a huge discrepancy between the teaching delivered by state schools and private school and even more so with teacher assessed grades, with private school's awarding more A and A*. Pretty sure there will data to back the latter point.

Original post by HCC10/10
Under PARTNERS there is an overlap, if you check the eligibility criteria. Of course I don't have evidence to quantify lost learning during lockdown, but I have reason to beleive this from talking to people that I know and comparing at the time. I think private schools were under pressure to deliver because of the obvious fact that they were directly accountable to those who pay them - ie the parents.

I agree about that Ethnic minorities are under represented in some uni's like Oxford and Cambridge and perhaps others, but I don't think this is the case for medicine overall. The majority doctors that I have met and come accross in my entire life were from very diverse racial backgrounds. Which is correct. The point is I don't think that someone's race should give them an advantage.

Agree ethnic minorities are under-represented in higher education particularly the higher ranking universities. Also agree that medicine is a very racially diverse profession, large part of the diversity is due to foreign trained medics, rather than those who are british born or have been through the british schooling system so would and should qualify under WP.
Original post by HCC10/10
Under PARTNERS there is an overlap, if you check the eligibility criteria. Of course I don't have evidence to quantify lost learning during lockdown, but I have reason to beleive this from talking to people that I know and comparing at the time. I think private schools were under pressure to deliver because of the obvious fact that they were directly accountable to those who pay them - ie the parents.

I agree about that Ethnic minorities are under represented in some uni's like Oxford and Cambridge and perhaps others, but I don't think this is the case for medicine overall. The majority doctors that I have met and come accross in my entire life were from very diverse racial backgrounds. Which is correct. The point is I don't think that someone's race should give them an advantage.

But the ExCircs part of Partnerw is assessed on a case-by-case basis, under the PEC policy, and it is not an automatic right to Partners - it depends whether the ExCircs are accepted, so as I say, assessed under a different framework :smile:

In 2019 20% of pupils at Secondary, Comprehensive or middle schools got an A or A* at A level. In 2021, this increased by 195%. The increase in A/A* grades at independent schools was 159% (44% to 70%). So there may have been more people getting A/A* at independent schools, but the increase was lower than it was for the state school types listed (and Academies, that had a 177% increase in A/A*s).
I am repeatedly on the record as saying that TAGs were ridiculous across the board, but there was a bigger relative percentage increase in A/A* grades from exams to TAGs at state schools than private schools

Original post by Why_am_i_here
I can certainly say in our geographical area there was a huge discrepancy between the teaching delivered by state schools and private school and even more so with teacher assessed grades, with private school's awarding more A and A*. Pretty sure there will data to back the latter point.

Agree ethnic minorities are under-represented in higher education particularly the higher ranking universities. Also agree that medicine is a very racially diverse profession, large part of the diversity is due to foreign trained medics, rather than those who are british born or have been through the british schooling system so would and should qualify under WP.

BME are actually over-represented at med school, with 41% (in 2016) versus the general population figure that ethnic minority backgrounds make up 14.4% of the United Kingdom population (2019), so weighting admissions to increase numbers would actually narrow participation further!
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2536/selection-alliance-2018-report.pdf
Okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending