The Student Room Group

Where would you rather live, Cambridge or Edinburgh

I must choose where I want to live.
Cambridge nice but maybe there is too much class system here... whereas Edinburgh seems more relaxed and bit cheaper... my budget for 1 bed flat is 200k. not mortgage. cash buyer. I've been both places and like both.
(edited 3 years ago)
I'd choose the cheaper and more relaxed option, so Erinburgh.
Edinburgh because I assume it would be cheaper.
Both are insanely expensive aren't they? Edinburgh is surely the most expensive place in Scotland.

I really don't know where you're getting that there's a 'class system' in Cambridge. Its just because the uni is there isn't it :rolleyes: Edinburgh uni actually has the same proportion of private schooled students as Cambridge, and a less rigorous admissions system.
Reply 4
Original post by Sarahjane23
I must choose where I want to live.
Cambridge nice but maybe there is too much class system here... whereas Edinburgh seems more relaxed and bit cheaper... my budget for 1 bed flat is 200k. not mortgage. cash buyer. I've been both places and like both.

Have you got a job offer at each? Which is the more interesting job?
They each have their strengths as cities - Cambridge is much smaller and has fewer hills/steps, Edinburgh has a much better nightlife and is a political centre. What sort of things matter to you?
Reply 5
Edinburgh, it's cheaper as well as better.
Edinburgh is still pretty expensive - and cold, cold, cold!
Have lived in Cambridge before, and it's very expensive. If you want to live anywhere remotely central in Cambridge, £200k is probably not going to get you there though. If you don't mind cycling in (or driving, if you live in one of the surrounding villages), there are a lot more options.

Dunno really what you mean about class system in Cambridge, as I was a blue collar worker there at the uni and never had issues in that regard, personally. There is a town and gown divide I will grant you, but that isn't a class divide per se. Also the town/gown divide felt less significant than it did in e.g. Exeter, perhaps just because the university is so huge in Cambridge, both geographically and in terms of people working/studying there, that it's kind of inherently woven into the local geography and economy and culture.

I've never lived in Edinburgh so couldn't say, when I visited there it seemed nice but also it doesn't surprise me to hear it's expensive. Also bear in mind winters are a lot colder in Edinburgh than they would be in Cambridge! Summers might be milder though...the last few years it's been scorchingly hot in summer in Cambridge (a couple years ago the UK record for highest recorded temperature in Cambridge when it hit 38 or 39 in the city centre as I recall).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest