The Student Room Group

Should i take further math?

Should I take further maths as my 4th subject for A-levels? The three other subjects I'm considering are Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Here's why I'm indecisive.

Pros (take further math)
1. Subject combination would be perfect
2. I'm aiming for Imperial and UCL (Oxbridge but I don't want to hold too much hope)
3. Opens more degree choices
4. I took Additional Maths for GCSE
5. I'm Asian (most Asians take 4 subjects)(at least the ones around me)

Cons
1. I'm studying a 1.5 A-level course (afraid there's no time)
2. My other subjects are challenging enough
3. I want all A's but I'm not confident in getting an A for further maths
4. I'm aiming for Chemistry more than Engineering as a degree course (but I do like to study a Physics course)(not engineering)
5. I'm not the best in Maths (scored well but not the best)
6. I like maths but I do not enjoy hardcore maths
Reply 1
Original post by lee lee.
Should I take further maths as my 4th subject for A-levels? The three other subjects I'm considering are Chemistry, Physics, and Math. Here's why I'm indecisive.

Pros (take further math)
1. Subject combination would be perfect
2. I'm aiming for Imperial and UCL (Oxbridge but I don't want to hold too much hope)
3. Opens more degree choices
4. I took Additional Maths for GCSE
5. I'm Asian (most Asians take 4 subjects)(at least the ones around me)

Cons
1. I'm studying a 1.5 A-level course (afraid there's no time)
2. My other subjects are challenging enough
3. I want all A's but I'm not confident in getting an A for further maths
4. I'm aiming for Chemistry more than Engineering as a degree course (but I do like to study a Physics course)(not engineering)
5. I'm not the best in Maths (scored well but not the best)
6. I like maths but I do not enjoy hardcore maths

It really matters on the kind of degree and university you want to go to. If you want to keep the option of studying a mathematical degree at a top university then doing further maths would really help you. I say this considering you mentioned Oxbridge. It would also help prepare you for exams like the MAT OR STEP if it is necessary for your chosen degree.

At the same time, it is equally important that you have enough time to ensure that you have enough time for your other subjects. A*AA or AABB? You are on TSR so you are in the best place for study help and advice. If you use effective study methods and have good time-management then it is absolutely possible as you see many people here doing it.

If you have to make a decision soon then you could just say yes now and drop it afterwards if you change your mind. If you do not have exams this year then why don't you start self-teaching A-Level maths now to prepare for sixth form? That way, by the time you start you'll have an idea if you want to take further maths as well.

I wish you the best of luck :smile:
It solely depends on interest in my opinion.
I'm taking the same subjects you're taking. I'm doing A level maths this year, and FM next year. AND I'm self-teaching.

But because I'm so interested in math, I average 97-98% on every past paper I solve. If you're not heavily interested, don't take it.

Also, if you don't think you can get an A/A* in A level math, don't bother doing FM

Quick Reply

Latest