The Student Room Group

Switching from psychology back to nursing

Hi all! I am currently a first year undergrad studying psychology bsc. I was wondering if 2/3 in the academic year it would be possible for me to switch to nursing. Would this be too far a gap as the degrees aren’t much related? Will there be forms and interviews I will have to attend? Thank you in advance. Any advice would be great!!
Reply 1
You need to talk to your university but I’m guessing that you would need to make a separate application to nursing via UCAS rather than making a straight switch.
Reply 2
Original post by Hopefulocean123
Hi all! I am currently a first year undergrad studying psychology bsc. I was wondering if 2/3 in the academic year it would be possible for me to switch to nursing. Would this be too far a gap as the degrees aren’t much related? Will there be forms and interviews I will have to attend? Thank you in advance. Any advice would be great!!

If the university let's you switch, yes it's perfectly possible. HOWEVER... you'd have to start from the beginning of 1st year, as to complete a nursing degree you need to have done 2300 hours of (nursing) theory and 2300 of placement.
Original post by Hopefulocean123

Original post by Emily_B
If the university let's you switch, yes it's perfectly possible. HOWEVER... you'd have to start from the beginning of 1st year, as to complete a nursing degree you need to have done 2300 hours of (nursing) theory and 2300 of placement.

So you in first year of pyshology degree so another two years to do I think so why not finish your degree and then apply for nursing in your final year to hopefully start it if offered a place when you completed it.

Like Emily has said if your university allows this then great but you'll still have to start from 1st year again due to NMC regulation's on hours you'll need to do for a nursing degree.
Your university might not allow you to swap without applying from scratch again for nursing again so more interviews etc once more and you might not get in as you'll land up retrying following year and so on so reason why it probably be best to complete the current degree and give you time to prepare for applying for nursing once again.
If it was me in your position now I would complete the current degree as will be useful to use in nursing anyway as I did exactly that with my pyshology degree as comes in handy.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
So you in first year of pyshology degree so another two years to do I think so why not finish your degree and then apply for nursing in your final year to hopefully start it if offered a place when you completed it.

Like Emily has said if your university allows this then great but you'll still have to start from 1st year again due to NMC regulation's on hours you'll need to do for a nursing degree.
Your university might not allow you to swap without applying from scratch again for nursing again so more interviews etc once more and you might not get in as you'll land up retrying following year and so on so reason why it probably be best to complete the current degree and give you time to prepare for applying for nursing once again.
If it was me in your position now I would complete the current degree as will be useful to use in nursing anyway as I did exactly that with my pyshology degree as comes in handy.

How does that work re funding,As far as I am aware you have to pay tuition fees for nursing now which is why she needs to swap after year 1 so she will still have 3years funding left.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
How does that work re funding,As far as I am aware you have to pay tuition fees for nursing now which is why she needs to swap after year 1 so she will still have 3years funding left.

Nursing is an exception degree, so it doesn't matter what funding you've previously had you get full funding anyway
Original post by Scotney

As Emily said , the funding will be available as nursing is an exception course so it don't matter what funding she had previously
Original post by Emily_B
Nursing is an exception degree, so it doesn't matter what funding you've previously had you get full funding anyway
Reply 7
Okay I did not know that. Then I guess it is down to whether you want to be a student for six years and do two whole degrees.
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Okay I did not know that. Then I guess it is down to whether you want to be a student for six years and do two whole degrees.

OP can still drop out of their other degree now after 1 year, and go straight onto a nursing course, as they were asking, without the funding issues though...
Reply 9
Original post by Emily_B
OP can still drop out of their other degree now after 1 year, and go straight onto a nursing course, as they were asking, without the funding issues though...

That was what I was asking really. Would they want to study for all that time.
Original post by Scotney
That was what I was asking really. Would they want to study for all that time.

OP has already said they are in 1st year of psych degree. They don't have to complete the 1st degree to get exemption course funding for nursing, therefore would only be studying for 4 years not 6. Loads of people drop out and start a new course after 1st year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Emily_B
OP has already said they are in 1st year of psych degree. They don't have to complete the 1st degree to get exemption course funding for nursing, therefore would only be studying for 4 years not 6. Loads of people drop out and start a new course after 1st year.

I do not know how you are interpreting my answers but you seem to want to be pedantic so good luck OP hope all goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending